[comp.sys.handhelds] NEC UltraLite from DAK at $699, Worth it?

cpetterb@glacier.sim.es.com (Cary Petterborg) (04/18/91)

I just got the latest DAK catalog and it has the NEC UltraLite for $699.
There are things that aren't spelled out (as far as I could tell) like
the Microsoft Works included is not on a ROM card, so it must be on disk,
but they don't give you a disk drive, it's $199 extra.

Anyway, is the system worth it?  They charge an additional $200 for the
2Mb "Silicon Hard Disk" as they call it.  Is that worth getting?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Cary
--
_______________
Cary Petterborg					   (801)582-5847 x6446

lorenh@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (Loren Heisey) (04/19/91)

>I just got the latest DAK catalog and it has the NEC UltraLite for $699.
>There are things that aren't spelled out (as far as I could tell) like
>the Microsoft Works included is not on a ROM card, so it must be on disk,
>but they don't give you a disk drive, it's $199 extra.
>
>Anyway, is the system worth it?  They charge an additional $200 for the
>2Mb "Silicon Hard Disk" as they call it.  Is that worth getting?

You might check out comp.sys.laptops. Some reviews of the machine were
posted there not too long ago.

Loren Heisey

brian@king.csd.mot.com (04/20/91)

lorenh@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (Loren Heisey) writes:

>>I just got the latest DAK catalog and it has the NEC UltraLite for $699.
>>There are things that aren't spelled out (as far as I could tell) like
>>the Microsoft Works included is not on a ROM card, so it must be on disk,
>>but they don't give you a disk drive, it's $199 extra.
>>
>>Anyway, is the system worth it?  They charge an additional $200 for the
>>2Mb "Silicon Hard Disk" as they call it.  Is that worth getting?

>You might check out comp.sys.laptops. Some reviews of the machine were
>posted there not too long ago.

>Loren Heisey

There is also a mailing list for Ultralite owners and potential owners.
The reviews (and other stuff) have been included in the list.  If you'd
like to subscribe (and receive back issues), send a note to:

  ultralite-request@csd.mot.com

To answer the questions:

- Yes, the MS Works is a disked version.  Both 5-1/4" and 3-1/2" disks
  are provided.  The Ultralite comes with LapLink in ROM and a disked
  version for the other end, so if you have a PC, you can use it's
  floppy drive via LapLink to load the MS Works product.  Or, as you
  mentioned, you can buy the external floppy drive.

  MS Works eats up a whole bunch of that 1MB silicon disk, however...

- "Is the system worth it?"  depends on what you want to do with it.
  I was looking for a notebook-sized computer for editing, remote terminal,
  e-mail, and personal organization stuff.  The Ultralite with a 2MB disk,
  and configured with the MKS Toolkit for vi and ksh, a terminal emulator,
  uupc for e-mail, and Lotus Agenda on a ROM card for organization,
  seemed quite ideal to me.  The price wasn't exceptional, but it wasn't
  bad either.

- I'd recommend the extra 1MB of silicon disk, unless you plan to have
  all applications on ROM card (like if you get MS Works on a ROM card
  and use it for everything).  1MB is pretty tight.  $200 for that extra
  1MB is admittedly a bit hard to take, though.

--
-Brian Smithson
 Motorola Inc., Computer Group, Commercial Systems Division