[comp.sys.handhelds] IR-remote control for the 28s? How about the 48SX?

elliott@veronica.cs.wisc.edu (James Elliott) (04/07/91)

In <VKEMP.91Apr6125116@silver-surfer.hut.fi> vkemp@niksula.hut.fi (Vesa KEMPpainen) writes:
>I have been useing my hp28s as a remote controller with my TV. It worked
>fine, but I got a Memory Lost! and I cant find the code anywhere.

I've been wondering if this sort of thing was possible! Since I
acquired the 48 last week, it has seemed to me that it would make a
wonderfully smart programmable remote control, since it has an IR
transciever built in. But it's not clear to me that the range will
necessarily be sufficient, nor that the IR signal structure of the HP
would be capable of receiving or parroting IR remote control pulses.

Can this be done? Has anyone written a program that can learn and echo
remote control signals? It would be amazingly handy, especially given
the 48's ability to schedule alarms which execute arbitrary programs.
Imagine: I leave the HP in the living room and go do something. At the
appropriate time it turns on my reciever, tunes in the appropriate
channel, activates the VCR and tapes a program, with the stereo
soundtrack from the FM sideband, via the receiver.

Even just the ability to program in a menu of "macros" of frequently
used settings of multiple devices would be very handy. The mind
boggles. So please enlighten me! I have not found anything about this
in the FAQs... If the current hardware can't support it, it might be a
useful extension.
--
Jim Elliott		      "Like a bridge he'll come between us, not a wall"
elliott@veronica.cs.wisc.edu

diamant@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM (John Diamant) (04/19/91)

James H. Cloos (cloos@acsu.buffalo.edu) writes:

> I've wanted this, too, for a long while.  The assembly src as found in the
> i/r remote article (as archived) should assemble w/o problems in star.  All
> that is needed is the address of the hardware register to write to to
> toggle the i/r led on and off.

> It would, of course, take a bit more work to combine it with Jan's i/r
> input reader, but at least we could get the ball rolling with that one
> address.....  (hint, hint, hint)

Sorry for the long delay.  I'm only relaying this information from someone
more knowledgeable on 48 internals than I (who just sent me the info), but I
did manage to get what you need:

> You can turn on the LED by writing
> a #8h to the control register at #11Ch.  You turn it off
> by writing #0h.
>
> WARNING the LED takes a lot of current.  If you leave it on your
> batteries will be dead in about 5 hours.

I'd love to have a learning remote control for the 48, but I don't have
the internals knowledge to write it myself.  The warning above suggests
that the code manipulating the LED should be wrapped in an IFERR or
equivalent which makes sure the LED is turned off before the program exits.

John Diamant
Software Engineering Systems Division
Hewlett Packard Co.		ARPA Internet: diamant@hpfclp.sde.hp.com
Fort Collins, CO		UUCP:  {hpfcla,hplabs}!hpfclp!diamant

This response does not represent the official position of, or statement
by, the Hewlett-Packard Company.  The above data is provided for informational
purposes only.  It is supplied without warranty of any kind.

jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (04/21/91)

In article <1010014@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM> diamant@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM (John Diamant) writes:
>Sorry for the long delay.  I'm only relaying this information from someone
>more knowledgeable on 48 internals than I (who just sent me the info), but I
>did manage to get what you need:
>
>> You can turn on the LED by writing
>> a #8h to the control register at #11Ch.  You turn it off
>> by writing #0h.
>>
>> WARNING the LED takes a lot of current.  If you leave it on your
>> batteries will be dead in about 5 hours.

I just tried this with the ROM debugger and used a video camera to verify
the results. It works perfectly. Thank you very much.

  / Juri Munkki	    /  Helsinki University of Technology   /  Wind  / Project /
 / jmunkki@hut.fi  /  Computing Center Macintosh Support  /  Surf  /  STORM  /