[comp.sys.handhelds] Looking for a /

s2499576%techst02.technion.ac.il@TAUNIVM.TAU.AC.IL (Yaniv Shaya) (04/17/91)

  A few days ago I read a message from someone stating that he
downloaded a MATH library from hp-bbs, and didn't know what format
it was in. Since I also look for as many math applications for the
hp I decided to pay a visit tha anonymous hpcvbbs.cv.hp.com, but
could find there no such library. There was just small amount of
programs over there (compared with Wayn's mailserver).

Could someone please let me know where is that math library that
was talked about here, in this comp.sys.handhalds ?

 Thanks
~~~~~~~~
Yaniv.

wscott@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Wayne H Scott) (04/17/91)

In article <9104162108.AA23024@techst02.technion.ac.il> s2499576%techst02.technion.ac.il@TAUNIVM.TAU.AC.IL (Yaniv Shaya) writes:

>  A few days ago I read a message from someone stating that he
>downloaded a MATH library from hp-bbs, and didn't know what format
>it was in. Since I also look for as many math applications for the
>hp I decided to pay a visit tha anonymous hpcvbbs.cv.hp.com, but
>could find there no such library. There was just small amount of
>programs over there (compared with Wayn's mailserver).

This is Wayne as in Wayne's Mail Server.

I created math.arc that I put on hpcvbbs.cv.hp.com.  It only contains a
subset of the programs available in my server and was causing many
people lost sleep.  So I removed it.  Anyone wanting those programs
can just request them from my server.

Wayne Scott             |  INTERNET: wscott@ecn.purdue.edu
Electrical Engineering  |  BITNET:   wscott%ecn.purdue.edu@purccvm
Purdue University       |  UUCP:     {purdue, pur-ee}!ecn.purdue.edu!wscott

asslk@acad2.alaska.edu (Kingry Shane L) (04/18/91)

In article <9104162108.AA23024@techst02.technion.ac.il>
>hp I decided to pay a visit tha anonymous hpcvbbs.cv.hp.com, but
>could find there no such library. There was just small amount of
>programs over there (compared with Wayn's mailserver).

For that matter (in addition to that math lib), what is the address (net)
for Wayn's mailserver?

Thanks

EBERBERS%yubgef51@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU (____ Zarko Berberski ____) (04/18/91)

      Try : scion.cs.orst.edu     and directory : pub/jacobsd

            Zarko Berberski           EBERBERS@YUBGEF51.bitnet

Yaniv Shaya <s2499576%techst02.technion.ac.il@TAUNIVM.TAU.AC.IL> (04/20/91)

It seems some people still don't know of Wayne's Mail Server, so I post here
some info about it:

This is Wayne Scott.
The CORRECT subject for ALL messages to my mailserver is
"HP-MAIL-SERVER". Any other subject just serves to annoy me.
Please read the following before tring to send messages to my
server.

How to reach Wayne's Mail Server
--------------------------------
To request files for your HP-48 or HP-28 you can send command my mail
to my mail server.

Mail commands to:  wscott@ecn.purdue.edu
Mail Subject: HP-MAIL-SERVER     <--If you don't the mail will come to me.

The server will mail responses to the Reply-To: header on your mail.  If
not found, the From: field will be used.  If you want to overide this path
put this command in the message:
        path <your address>

To get help:
        send HELP

The HP-48 files are used by default.  To reach the HP-28 files include:
        HP28

To get an index of files:
        send INDEX

If you have any other problems send me mail.  (Same address, different
subject)  I hope you enjoy the server.

Wayne Scott

 He has a ton of stuff.

madler@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (04/21/91)

Yaniv Shaya writes about Wayne Scott's mailserver:
>>  He has a ton of stuff.

Well that's very interesting, because we can count how many bits he has,
and find out how much a bit weighs!  I've always wondered about this ...

Mark Adler
madler@pooh.caltech.edu

woan@exeter.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S Woan) (04/21/91)

In article <9104201148.AA08090@techst02.technion.ac.il> s2499576%techst02.technion.ac.il@TAUNIVM.TAU.AC.IL (Yaniv Shaya) writes:
>Mail commands to:  wscott@ecn.purdue.edu
>Mail Subject: HP-MAIL-SERVER     <--If you don't the mail will come to me.

Actually,
The address is now:  hp-mail-server@seq.uncwil.edu
No special subject is now needed!

+ Ronald S. Woan                woan@cactus.org or woan@austin.vnet.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

cmeyer@milton.u.washington.edu (Colin Meyer) (04/22/91)

madler@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) writes:

>Yaniv Shaya writes about Wayne Scott's mailserver:
>>>  He has a ton of stuff.

>Well that's very interesting, because we can count how many bits he has,
>and find out how much a bit weighs!  I've always wondered about this ...

Do 1's & 0's have the same mass?

>Mark Adler
>madler@pooh.caltech.edu

-Colin Meyer.
--
--------------
cmeyer@milton.u.washington.edu

s2499576@techst02.technion.ac.il (Yaniv Shaya) (04/23/91)

 > Yaniv Shaya writes about Wayne Scott's mailserver:> >>  He has a ton of stuff.
 >
 > Well that's very interesting, because we can count how many bits he has,
 > and find out how much a bit weighs!  I've always wondered about this ...
 >
 > Mark Adler
 > madler@pooh.caltech.edu
This was the original text from hp-ftp's posted here a while ago - not my personal writing.
BUT
if you want to know how much a bit weights, you should decide on what peripherial exactly, and then it would be quite easy to calculate the weight of a bit:
for example, take a chip, weight it and devide by the number of bits...