[comp.sys.handhelds] HP IR-Remote Control

jcohen@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Josh Cohen [890918]) (04/19/91)

Well it doesnt look like anyone is going to write the remote control program
for the 48, so I guess I will.  First dones anyone have or know whee I can
get the HP28 version to look at?  Also this is for some of the ML experts,
Jan, Falco, others, How can I directly control the IR led?  With this,
I think I can write it. My first big project for the 48..

hope someone knows!! (Bill Wickes maybe?)

Josh Cohen
reply-to  jcohen@scarecrow.csee.lehigh.edu

thanks to all

jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen NE Bos) (04/19/91)

jcohen@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Josh Cohen [890918]) writes:

>Well it doesnt look like anyone is going to write the remote control program
>for the 48, so I guess I will.  First dones anyone have or know whee I can
>get the HP28 version to look at?  Also this is for some of the ML experts,
>Jan, Falco, others, How can I directly control the IR led?  With this,

That's the problem.  If we knew where the LED was, the remote control program
would have been classic already...

jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (04/20/91)

In article <3372@charon.cwi.nl> jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen NE Bos) writes:
>jcohen@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Josh Cohen [890918]) writes:
>>Jan, Falco, others, How can I directly control the IR led?  With this,
>
>That's the problem.  If we knew where the LED was, the remote control program
>would have been classic already...

I haven't hacked the HP48SX, but I just tried something that might be of
use to someone who wants to find out how to control the IR LED.

One problem with finding the LED control address is that you can't see
when the LED is on. Even though _you_ can't see it, any CCD video
camera will see it.  Point your HP to the camera and the IR LED will be
clearly visible as a bright white spot. All you have to do is try just
about every I/O memory location on the HP and watch a TV to find out if
you have succeeded.

Of course everything would be so much easier if HP spilled some information.

  / Juri Munkki	    /  Helsinki University of Technology   /  Wind  / Project /
 / jmunkki@hut.fi  /  Computing Center Macintosh Support  /  Surf  /  STORM  /

s2499576%techst02.technion.ac.il@TAUNIVM.TAU.AC.IL (Yaniv Shaya) (04/22/91)

 > Well it doesnt look like anyone is going to write the remote control program
 > for the 48, so I guess I will.  First dones anyone have or know whee I can
 > get the HP28 version to look at?  Also this is for some of the ML experts,
 > Jan, Falco, others, How can I directly control the IR led?  With this,
 > I think I can write it. My first big project for the 48..
 >
 > hope someone knows!! (Bill Wickes maybe?)
 >
 > Josh Cohen
You can find the HP28 version at Wayne's Mail Server (Where else), You can also
find there information about controlling the IR directly (if I remember right).
Please do it as fast as possible, It could be greate. Also if you can - do it
SMART remote control - that is so it could be programmed by other remotes, to
make it general for all CD, TV, VCR, TAPE, ... remotes.

  Good Luck
~~~~~~~~~~~~ Yaniv

jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen NE Bos) (04/22/91)

As an official spokesman of Eric Toonen, who wrote the first IR program for
the HP28S and HP28C, I like to say that there is still no version for the
HP48S or HP48S, because the position of the output LED is unknown to us.
Eric gets about 2 requests a week for this program, but that does not really
help :-)

As soon as we find the LED, you'll know.  Don't worry.

bill@thd.tv.tek.com (William K. McFadden) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr20.130437.7783@santra.uucp> jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) writes:
->One problem with finding the LED control address is that you can't see
->when the LED is on.
->
->Of course everything would be so much easier if HP spilled some
->information.

Naah.  That would take all the fun out of it!
--
Bill McFadden    Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
bill@videovax.tv.tek.com,     {hplabs,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!bill

jcohen@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Josh Cohen [890918]) (04/23/91)

Working on it, if anyone has done any work so far, dont be shy about
sharing, The problems I am having are sampling related.  I am not exactly
sure of the BEST way to go about this.. any input?
Well, this might cost me my EE degree here at lehigh, but hey,
got to set priorities.. I need a 250$ remote control!!!

jcohen@scarecrow.csee.lehigh.edu