[comp.sys.handhelds] NEW !? HP PDL for 48sx

latenser@hoss.unl.edu (Dan Latenser) (04/09/91)

From the pages of PC-Week:

  ( with some text deleted  -- I did not have enough time
    -- important points remain. )

"
Hewlett-Packard Co.'s Program Development Link (PDL) .....
The $120 PDL lets PC-based developers write and test programs for the
HP-48 series programmable calculators --- both the original HP-48sx, with
two slots...... and the new zero-slot HP-48s.

.... text mode ... interface

... Full-featured editing windows with automatic aids for typing special
symbols ....

... Mouse- and menu based commands make quick work of building
applications, including all the structures needed for customized menus
using the calculators 'soft keys'.

H.P. shows genuine concern for ease of use .....
built in kermit
Once an application is transferred the PDL's Immediate window permits
remote control of the calculator from the PC keyboard and screen.

Context-sensitive, on-line help reduces the need to page through the
volumes of documentation that describe the broad capabilities of these
hand-held machines......
The entire 500 page programmer's reference is available on-line and is
easily perused via mouse of keyboard.

Help includes both subject and alphabetic menus and hypertext links
covering more than 2,100 built-in functions for mathematics, engineering,
graphics, communications, text processing and even time management.
PC Week Labs tested the PDL.....
		The PDL proved easy to use ...installed size of 1.2M bytes
		requires a hard disk or high density floppy.
"

akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) (04/12/91)

HP48S?!!  What, have they flipped?  Didn't they realize that we were
complaining about not having ENOUGH slots, not having slots.  I want a
4-slot HP48sxx, not a 0-slot 48s.  Although, if it is a lot cheaper, it
could be cool.

Secondly, does anyone know if PDL is due out for the MAC.  I think HP did
a great joby by making PDL and offering it as a $30 upgrade fee (only $10
more than the PRogrammers Reference manual, for cripes sake!) but they
shold come out with a MAC version with the same kind of upgrade policy (I
don't want to use SOFTPC with my mac!)
    ----Falco

cook@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Steve Cook) (04/17/91)

I understand that a Mac version of the PDL will not happen, something
about not enough resources to support this effort.  I find this
unfortunate for several reasons:  the Mac is probably the PC of choice
for many hp48 owners, it can display GROB's and transfer them inside
documents (I don't think DOS machines can do this), and it can display
the hp48 font on screen and generate overheads with the hp48 font on
hard copy for overheads, training manuals, etc.

darrylo@hpnmdla.hp.com (Darryl Okahata) (04/20/91)

In comp.sys.handhelds, cook@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Steve Cook) writes:

> I understand that a Mac version of the PDL will not happen, something
> about not enough resources to support this effort.  I find this
> unfortunate for several reasons:  the Mac is probably the PC of choice
> for many hp48 owners ...

     The Mac is the "PC of choice for many hp48 owners ..."?  How many
people do you know who went out and bought a Mac just so that they can
connect it to their HP-48SX?  ;-)

     In terms of market share, MSDOS-based PCs have the largest market
share, followed by (probably) the Mac and then the Amiga.  This is the
harsh realities of life.  ;-)  I have no connection with the calculator
people but, if they only had enough resources to write PDL for one, and
only one, platform, writing it for MSDOS-based PCs is probably the
correct choice, as this will reach the largest number of users.

     Note, however, that I don't like this situation, as it probably
does leave a fairly large number of users "out in the cold".  However,
if there is a problem with resources, would you rather see Corvallis
working on a Mac PDL, or would you rather have them work on new
calculators?

     Frankly, I'd rather have them work on calculators.  ;-)

     -- Darryl Okahata
	UUCP: {hplabs!, hpcea!, hpfcla!} hpnmd!darrylo
	Internet: darrylo%hpnmd@relay.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion or policy of Hewlett-Packard or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.

dj1l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Demian A. Johnston) (04/20/91)

Excerpts From Captions of netnews.comp.sys.handhelds: 17-Apr-91 Re: NEW
!? HP PDL for 48sx Steve Cook@hplvec.LVLD.H (462)
>unfortunate for several reasons:  the Mac is probably the PC of choice
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>for many hp48 owners, it can display GROB's and transfer them inside
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    This raises an interesting point,  I am interested in finding how
many HP48S[X] users use a DOS machine (pc compatible) or the Mac line.
    If you email me I will compile that data and post it.

Demian J.    =======>     dj1l+@andrew.cmu.edu

lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (a.k.a. Chri) (04/24/91)

darrylo@hpnmdla.hp.com (Darryl Okahata) writes:

>In comp.sys.handhelds, cook@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Steve Cook) writes:
>     In terms of market share, MSDOS-based PCs have the largest market
>share, followed by (probably) the Mac and then the Amiga.  This is the
>harsh realities of life.  ;-)  I have no connection with the calculator
>people but, if they only had enough resources to write PDL for one, and
>only one, platform, writing it for MSDOS-based PCs is probably the
>correct choice, as this will reach the largest number of users.

There is one other possibility: release the source code for the PDL to
a few good programmers on each "unsupported" machine to get a port for
the machine done.  This was accomplished for the Amiga with the USRLIB
program (I oughta know, 'cause *I* did the Amiga port of USRLIB).

This still requires some "resources:" there needs to be a contact
between the outside programmer doing the port and HP Corvallis.
However, it is probably nowhere near the amount of resources needed to
develop and debug a version of PDL for another computer.

If this is done (and I am definitely *NOT* implying it will be), then
I think the ported versions of PDL should be in the public domain (or
copylefted, or whatever legalese is needed).  In any event, I don't
think the public-at-large should have to pay anything more than a
"distribution fee" for work that is done by people on their own spare
time.  Usually the quality isn't as good as in-house development, but
then again the price would be right!

Disclaimer: the opinions expressed above are completely my own.  I
have no affiliation with HP-Corvallis except that I once ported USRLIB
to the Amiga with their help and approval.  I definitely do *NOT*
speak for HP in this matter.

					.oO Chris Oo.

--
Christopher Lishka 608-262-4485     It is not safe out here.  It is wonderous,
Wisconsin State Lab. of Hygiene     with treasures to satiate desires both