[comp.sys.handhelds] MES print option part II

jn190068@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU (Jay Nestle) (04/23/91)

	I have confirmed my B printer is in ISO mode, I can
print the rho, inifinity, etc. from simply putting the EQ
on the stack and then PR1.  My problem is that after using
the MES there is the option to view the last solution. (via
blue shift ALL)  This views either the EQ(s) used to solve
or the values solved for.  There is also the option to print.
If one does print from here is when the non iso (roman) chars
are printed.  I also confirmed that there are no chars inserted
in the PRTPAR file.

Loren Heisey writes:
>The printer powers on with the Roman 8 character selected for compatibility
>with other calculators. Since the HP48 does not know what mode the printer
>is in, it frequently sends the escape code to select the ISO Latin-1
>character set when printing. As Jim noted, for the version B printer the
>characters inserted in PRTPAR by executing OLDPRT must be deleted so that
>the HP48 does not remap the characters for the version A printer.

	I can then only assume that the hardware for the MES print option is
not sending the escape code for ISO printing.  Would someone else please check
this out?  Maybe just do two or three equations with a couple of rhos
and infinity in them, solve them with MES and try the print option.  If
you also get the old roman char set then something is wrong with the EQ-LIB
card or the 48!  Keep me informed, and thanks to all the responders!

						Jay Nestle

jn190068@longs.lance.colostate.edu

   "Save the earth, develop space."  -  Bumper Sticker

lorenh@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (Loren Heisey) (04/26/91)

>I can then only assume that the hardware for the MES print option is
>not sending the escape code for ISO printing.

Actually its the software, but this appears to be the case with the MES
print option. If something is printed using blueshift-print before using
the MES print option the characters should print OK. Using on-math will not
set the ISO mode since printing the screen is all graphics and no characters.

Incidentally, once the ISO mode is set the printer will stay in that mode
until either the printer is reset by cycling power or the calculator sends
the Roman 8 escape code. For those running on batteries, if the paper
advance button is used to wake the printer up after it times out the modes
in the printer are retained.

So after turning the printer on one just needs to print some characters
before using the MES print and after that the MES print should work fine as
long as the printer remains on.

Loren Heisey