[comp.sys.handhelds] 95LX connectivity pac

NU123952@VM1.NoDak.EDU (Mark A. Ordal) (04/25/91)

The HP95LX does NOT require the connectivity pac for transferring programs.
You just need the same cable as for the HP48SX.

What the connectivity pac does (besides providing that cable) is give
you PC versions of all the PIM software in the 95LX  (what people are
referring to as the equivalent of Lotus Metro but which really isn't).
It also provides a device driver that lets a PC treat the 95LX as a
couple of extra disk drives.

I've seen the color brochure on the 95LX at my dealer.  The brochure is
about a dozen pages long.

There's no mention of whether a RAM card can "back fill" the memory to
640k.  I suppose if they did that you would have to lose the built-in
512k every time you unplugged the RAM card.  They also don't mention
whether the 95LX can address RAM cards larger than 512k.  Since the
plug-in RAM cards can (apparently) only be used as RAMdisks, I don't
see why you couldn't plug in one of the Toshiba 8 Mbyte cards.  (That's
assuming you win the Publisher's Clearing Sweepstakes to be able to
afford an 8 M card!)

               Dr. Mark A. Ordal
               Physics Department
               North Dakota State University
               Fargo, ND 58105
               NU123952@NDSUVM1

everett@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (Everett Kaser) (04/26/91)

 (Mark A. Ordal) writes:
>There's no mention of whether a RAM card can "back fill" the memory to
>640k.  I suppose if they did that you would have to lose the built-in
>512k every time you unplugged the RAM card.

You're right, the plug-in RAM card cannot "back fill" the main memory to
640K, a decision which was made for the very reason you mention.

>They also don't mention
>whether the 95LX can address RAM cards larger than 512k.

The 95LX can use RAM cards of up to 2M bytes, although the largest
currently available from HP is 512K bytes.

Everett Kaser                   Hewlett-Packard Company
...hplabs!hp-pcd!everett        work: (503) 750-3569   Corvallis, Oregon
everett%hpcvra@hplabs.hp.com    home: (503) 928-5259   Albany, Oregon