[comp.sys.handhelds] ASC->... help!

mpeters@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Marc Peters) (04/29/91)

Help...  I am just starting to look at the programs out for the my
hp48sx.  The problem I seem to be having is with the format of the
program files.  Consistently the files I acquire have a header that looks
like:
         HPHP48-D...
Then I noticed that there appears to be an encoding program for  hp48sx
files called ASC->?  Could this program be the missing link to my
problems?  If so, where do I get it?  If not, how do I get to run those
nifty files like the ones on hpcvbbs.hp.com?

-Marc

TDSTRONG%MTUS5.cts.mtu.edu@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Tim Strong) (04/29/91)

>Help...  I am just starting to look at the programs out for the my
>hp48sx.  The problem I seem to be having is with the format of the
>program files.  Consistently the files I acquire have a header that looks
>like:
>         HPHP48-D...
>Then I noticed that there appears to be an encoding program for  hp48sx
>files called ASC->?  Could this program be the missing link to my
>problems?  If so, where do I get it?  If not, how do I get to run those
>nifty files like the ones on hpcvbbs.hp.com?
>
>-Marc

If a file starts with the header HPHP48-D its a binary file and both the
calculator and the computer must be in binary mode to transfer it.
Unfortunately the net tends to add extra linefeed characters and other
garbage to the file that makes direct binary files like this nerely impossible
to upload correctly.  The answer is either uuencode or ASC-> and ->ASC.
But in order to use ASC-> the file must first be put into ASC form
with ->ASC.  In your case that wasn't done so ASC-> will be no help in this
particular instance.  { Sorry if that doesn't make sense. If your confused
ask and I take some more time to sort it out for you }

ASC-> is not the problem in such files.  An ASC file merely looks like

"FD456E0A............."

a string of Hexadecimal characters.  If you need ASC-> out it is available
on Wayne's mail server.  If you don't know how to get on wayne's just ask
I think I can dig up a help file on it somewhere.

  ___
  I__)  _   _I  _   _   Tim Strong <TDSTRONG@MTUS5.cts.mtu.edu>
  I  \ (_I (_I (_I I    Michigan Tech.    Houghton, Michigan, U.S.A.

herman@corpane.uucp (Harry Herman) (04/30/91)

In <281b2ea0.38e0@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> mpeters@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Marc Peters) writes:

>Help...  I am just starting to look at the programs out for the my
>hp48sx.  The problem I seem to be having is with the format of the
>program files.  Consistently the files I acquire have a header that looks
>like:
>         HPHP48-D...
>Then I noticed that there appears to be an encoding program for  hp48sx
>files called ASC->?  Could this program be the missing link to my
>problems?  If so, where do I get it?  If not, how do I get to run those
>nifty files like the ones on hpcvbbs.hp.com?

>-Marc

Files that start with "HPHP48-x" are binary files and need to be downloaded
in binary mode with Kermit and then sent to the calculator in binary mode.
If you did not download the files from the BBS in binary mode, you will
have to download them again.  When you escape back to your system to
issue the "RECEIVE" command, type "SET FILE TYPE BINARY" or
"SET TYPE BINARY".  If neither of those work in your Kermit, then look
through the help files.

					Harry Herman
					herman@ukma!corpane