[comp.sys.handhelds] 1 Question

JRWESTIE@cc.utah.edu (John Westien, University of Utah) (04/27/91)

Howdy, I'd appreciate if anyone out there can direct me to some
information about creating a handheld computer. What we have is
a Basic program that we would like to have run on a small computer
that would be something like a Nintendo Gameboy. We have information
that we would like to have available out in the field and we would
like to run our program on something very small with an LCD. The Gameboy
is our size preference and setup.

Any help to this end would be great.

John Westien

Email JRWESTIE@uucc.utah.edu

vgl@cdp.UUCP (04/29/91)

Have you looked at the Psion Organiser?  Damark is giving a great deal on
this 5.6 x 3 x 1.1 unit.  For $119.99 you can get the basic unit plus seven
IC card programs and one 64K IC card.  The Model cm. in the Damrk catelogue
only has 8K of Ram, but if price is no object you could easily move up to
the model LZ series.  You can get information on these from EduCalc
1-800-633-2252 ext.250.  EduCalc also has other handhelds and could be
a good source for comparitive information.  Oh yes, the Damark deal is
backordered and so may not be available for long.  You could call them
for sure at 1-800-729-9000.  So there it is!

anthony@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) (05/01/91)

In article <114046@cc.utah.edu> JRWESTIE@cc.utah.edu (John Westien, University of Utah) writes:
>Howdy, I'd appreciate if anyone out there can direct me to some
>information about creating a handheld computer. What we have is
>a Basic program that we would like to have run on a small computer
>that would be something like a Nintendo Gameboy. We have information
>that we would like to have available out in the field and we would
>like to run our program on something very small with an LCD. The Gameboy
>is our size preference and setup.

There are many already existing programmable handheld computers.  The
Psion Organiser series are about 12.5x7.5x2.5 cm (5x3x1) inches and
have a 16x2 or 20x4 line LCD.  Built in RAM ranges from 8KB to 96KB,
two internal slots contain up to 256KB of EPROM, Flash EPROM, or
battery backed RAM.  Ruggedized and OEM models with sealed cases and
membrane keyboards are also available.  The built in compiled language
is BASIC like but with structuring.  Assembly language is fully
supported for high speed, small size applications.

Would you like more information or to be added to the Psion mailing list?
You are free to submit messages to the list without being a subscriber.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber	anthony@csd4.csd.uwm.edu   uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony