[comp.sys.handhelds] Psion Organiser Sale

anthony@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) (04/23/91)

This is from Comp.sys.laptops,  I got permission from the
original poster to repost this:

From: brian@king.csd.mot.com
Newsgroups: comp.sys.laptops
Subject: uh-oh, Psion Organizer II's are on sale
Date: 18 Apr 91 05:58:32 GMT
Sender: usenet@motcsd.csd.mot.com

Uh oh, Damark is selling Psion Organizer II's for $120.  Includes eight
plug-in modules: finance pack, spell check, travel pack, portfolio manager,
math pack, formulator, games, and 64K data pack.  MSR $992.36, your's for
only $119.99 + S/H.  Call Damark (not DAK), 800-729-9000 (MN 800-733-9070).

I have no connection with Damark or Psion, and in fact I've spent my
computing budget on an NEC UltraLite anyway.  It's tempting, though...
--
-Brian Smithson
 Motorola Inc., Computer Group, Commercial Systems Division

If anyone is interested in these machines, feel free to join the

zlraa@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Ross Alford) (04/24/91)

In <11315@uwm.edu> anthony@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) writes:

>This is from Comp.sys.laptops,  I got permission from the
>original poster to repost this:

...stuff deleted

>Uh oh, Damark is selling Psion Organizer II's for $120.  Includes eight
>plug-in modules: finance pack, spell check, travel pack, portfolio manager,
>math pack, formulator, games, and 64K data pack.  MSR $992.36, your's for
>only $119.99 + S/H.  Call Damark (not DAK), 800-729-9000 (MN 800-733-9070).

Three questions for you psion enthusiasts out there:

   Is the above outfit capable of exchanging data with a PC as it is, or
      is some other accessory needed, at (probably) high extra cost?  If
      some other bit *is* needed, is Damark also selling it and for how
      much?

   Does anyone have a non-800 phone number for Damark?  I cannot ring
      800 numbers from Australia.  I seem to recall that Damark will not
      ship outside the States, that isn't a problem, I can get it
      shipped to someone in the US who will reship to me.

   Does Damark or anyone else have a bar code reader for the thing,
      and if so, how much would it cost?

Thanks,
Ross
--
Ross A. Alford
Department of Zoology                      Internet: zlraa@marlin.jcu.edu.au

conte@crest.crhc.uiuc.edu (Tom Conte) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr24.011045.6724@marlin.jcu.edu.au>, zlraa@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Ross Alford) writes:
> In <11315@uwm.edu> anthony@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) writes:
>
> >This is from Comp.sys.laptops,  I got permission from the
> >original poster to repost this:
>
> ...stuff deleted
>
> >Uh oh, Damark is selling Psion Organizer II's for $120.  Includes eight
> >plug-in modules: finance pack, spell check, travel pack, portfolio manager,
> >math pack, formulator, games, and 64K data pack.  MSR $992.36, your's for
> >only $119.99 + S/H.  Call Damark (not DAK), 800-729-9000 (MN 800-733-9070).
>
> Three questions for you psion enthusiasts out there:

Before you jump on this, I called Damark and they're way, *way* back ordered.
Chances are if this was a limited-time deal, all of those on the back order
list (including me now) won't get anything.  (i.e., I expect a call in two
weeks that they can't fill the order and would I like to buy something else
from their catalog of over 10,000 items....)

Bummer,

------
Tom Conte	  Center for Reliable and High-Performance Computing
 conte@uiuc.edu   University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois
		  Columbia, Challenger, Discovery, Atlantis, Endeavour

anthony@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr24.011045.6724@marlin.jcu.edu.au> zlraa@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Ross Alford) writes:

>Three questions for you psion enthusiasts out there:
>
>   Is the above outfit capable of exchanging data with a PC as it is, or
>      is some other accessory needed, at (probably) high extra cost?  If
>      some other bit *is* needed, is Damark also selling it and for how
>      much?

I've called up Damark, and all they're selling is that package.  You
can get the Comms Link (rs-232 interface) from Psion and various
dealers for about US$100.  This has the proprietary Psion protocol,
xmodem, and plain ASCII transfer.  If you buy the Comms Link you
have to specify MS-DOS or Macintosh host software.

>   Does anyone have a non-800 phone number for Damark?  I cannot ring

Their catalog only lists a fax order number, 612-531-9281, and their
customer service fax number 612-531-0380.  The others are 800 numbers.

>   Does Damark or anyone else have a bar code reader for the thing,
>      and if so, how much would it cost?

What kind do you want?  There are a couple different bar code readers
you can get, including $3000 laser scanners.

You can buy Psion's own bar code reader for US$249.  It looks just like
the Comms Link, but has a Hewlett-Packard bar code wand rather than a
DB25 cable coming out of it.  They both plug in the same port on top,
so you can't have both at the same time.

Would you like to be on the Psion mailing list?  There are some people
on it that have done bar code applications.  Do you know of any Psion
BBS, user groups, or other Psion related things?
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber	anthony@csd4.csd.uwm.edu   uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

vgl@cdp.UUCP (04/26/91)

Anthony!  Both EduCalc 1-800-2252, ext. 250 and Personal Computing Tools
1-800-767-6728 have accesaries for the Psion Organiser.  EduCalc seems
to be slightly cheaper.  One thing to note about the Damark deal. . .
the model # is Organiser II cm. and it has a 2 line by 16 character
display and 8K of Ram.  This differs from the model # LZ which had
either 32K or 64K Ram.  There is one other model # XP which may be equiv-
alent to the # cm advertised by Damark but I can't tell from the adds in
Personal Computing Tools.  I decided to take the risk, bite the bullet,
and buy the Damark deal.  One other thing to note about the model # LZ is
that it has a 4 line by 20 character display.  Well that's about the extent
of my knowledge so far.  I hope this is of some help.  Yours, Tub

Ullrich_Fischer@mindlink.bc.ca (Ullrich Fischer) (04/27/91)

how does one join the Psion Mailing List?
--
- Ullrich Fischer@mindlink.bc.ca   (Let's just have 1 line signatures eh?)

Ullrich_Fischer@mindlink.bc.ca (Ullrich Fischer) (04/29/91)

it?.  Thanks.
--
- Ullrich Fischer@mindlink.bc.ca   (Let's just have 1 line signatures eh?)

adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk (Adrian Hurt) (04/29/91)

In article <140400008@cdp> vgl@cdp.UUCP writes:

>Anthony!  Both EduCalc 1-800-2252, ext. 250 and Personal Computing Tools
>1-800-767-6728 have accesaries for the Psion Organiser.  EduCalc seems
>to be slightly cheaper.  One thing to note about the Damark deal. . .
>the model # is Organiser II cm. and it has a 2 line by 16 character
>display and 8K of Ram.  This differs from the model # LZ which had
>either 32K or 64K Ram.

As previously noted, the LZ variants have 4 lines of 20 characters.  The
LZ64 is the one with 64K RAM.

There are several disadvantages to the CM, quite apart from the fact that
the machine uses some RAM for its own purposes so you don't even get all
8K to play with.  (And you can use up 8K very soon, I can tell you!)
There are several types of plug-in modules to add memory.  Datapaks come
in several sizes, vayRying from 8K to 128K.  Except that the CM can't use
the 128K version; the biggest it will use is 64K.  Datapaks each contain
a CMOS EPROM of the appropriate size, plus a little supporting PCB.  There
are also Rampaks, which as the name suggests use battery backed CMOS RAM
instead of the EPROM.  These are 32K.  Unfortunately, the CM won't accept
them at all.

There are several advantages to the LZ types, apart from the better display.
They have larger OS ROMs, and a lot of extra features.  Among these are
world time and telephone dialling codes; a notepad with a built-in limited
calculator; password protection, both for notepad files and for the whole
machine; and a few utilities, including sound toggle, optional French or
German main menu, and directory of all files.

Conclusion: if you're buying an Organiser, don't bother with the CM.  If
possible, get one of the LZ types.  The 32K LZ is not much more expensive
than the 32K XP, and well worth the extra.

Disclaimer: I don't work for Psion.  I do own both an LZ64 and an XP, and
will answer questions by email.

 "Keyboard?  How quaint!" - M. Scott

 Adrian Hurt			     |	JANET:  adrian@uk.ac.hw.cs
 UUCP: ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!adrian     |  ARPA:   adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk

anthony@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) (05/01/91)

In article <140400008@cdp> vgl@cdp.UUCP writes:
>[useful information]

Thanks for the information.  I haven't yet seen the latest Damark
catalog and didn't know which model they were selling.

Here is a list of Psion address's I've compiled.

Company:	PSION Inc.
Address:	3980019@mcimail.com
Work:		203-274-7521 technical support 800-548-4535
Fax:		203-274-7976
Postal:		118 Echo Lake Road, Watertown, CT 06795

Company:	Sumner Electronics
bang!path:
Work:		708-991-8500
Postal:		Illinois
Notes:		Hitachi dealer, Psion microprocessor

Company:	Hitachi
bang!path:
Work:		800-HITACHI (800-448-2244)
Notes:		makes HD6303X processor in Psion Organiser

Company:	Code Industries
Work:		312-459-6770
Postal:		664 Milwaukee Avenue - Suite 210 Prospect Heights, IL 60070
Notes:		Psion dealer for Mid West

Company:	Personal Computing Tools
Work:		408-395-6600
Fax:		408-354-4260
Postal:		17419 Farley Road, Los Goatos CA 95030
Notes:		free scientific calc with order
Notes:		Psion dealer, scientific, data coltection,CAD, serial ports, IBM hardware, software, tech support 800-767-6728

Company:	EduCALC
Work:		800-633-2252 x356 (orders),800-677-7001(customer service)
Fax:		714-582-1445
Postal:		27953 Cabot Road, Laguna Niguel, CA 92677
Notes:
Notes:		Psion, Hewlett-Packard (HP), Cambridge Z88, Sharp, Casio

Company:	XEC Products
Work:		813-531-1422
Postal:		13630 58th Street North, Suite #103, Clearwater, FL 34620
Notes:		has good user support
Notes:		Psion dealer

Company:	TPC
Work:		800-444-3199
Notes:		may carry Psion in the future
Notes:		Atari Portfolio $379, Sharp, Casio

Company:	Recreational Electronics
Work:		214-563-8944
Postal:		P.O. Box 792, Terrell, TX, 75160
Notes:		Psion dealer

Company:	Curry Computer
Address:	CI$ and MCIMail
Work:		602-978-2902
Postal:		P.O. Box 5607 Glendale, AZ  85312-5607
Notes:		from PIG Journal

Company:	Sharp's Inc.
Work:		804-746-1664
Postal:		Rt. 10, Box 459 Mechanicsville, VA 23111
Notes:		from PIG Journal
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber	anthony@csd4.csd.uwm.edu   uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony