[comp.sys.handhelds] 95 Questions

jeff@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Jeff Bangert) (04/25/91)

Some questions for the first lucky person on the net to actually get a
95 ( or for HP ) --

1. Will the cable that connects the 48 to a PC work on the 95?

2. The demo program shows the 95 running chkdsk from the DOS prompt.
This this mean that 'well-behaved' PC programs can be uploaded and run
on the 95?

3. If the answer to #2 is 'yes,' then is it possible, using a standard
compiler, to write programs on the 95?

4. I like Quattro Pro.  I don't want to spend the money for Lotus.  Is
it possible to exchange basic spreadsheet info between Lotus on the 95
and Quattro Pro on the PC.

Thanks for your help.

--

Jeff Bangert                    BITNET: JEFF@UKANVM
Academic Computing Services     Internet: jeff@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

billf@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (Bill Faus) (04/26/91)

Jeff Bangert asks:

> 2. The demo program shows the 95 running chkdsk from the DOS prompt.
> Does this mean that 'well-behaved' PC programs can be uploaded and run
> on the 95?

Yes.

> 3. If the answer to #2 is 'yes,' then is it possible, using a standard
> compiler, to write programs on the 95?

Yes.

For example, the demo program was written using MicroSoft C 6.0
and compiled on a PC.  At run time it checks to see whether the machine
it's running on is the HP 95LX or a PC.  If the demo finds itself
running on a PC then it uses the graphics library of MS C.  If
the demo finds itself running on the HP, then it uses a custom
set of graphics routines for the 240x128 LCD display.

You can take the same demo program that runs on the PC, download
it to the HP 95LX, open the Filer application, highlight
95DEMO.EXE, press RUN and the demo will begin.

In general, 'well-behaved' connotes MDA compatible, text-oriented,
standard I/O, non-graphics programs.

-bill

tt@tarzan.jyu.fi (Tapani Tarvainen) (04/30/91)

In article <25590147@hpcvra.cv.hp.com.> billf@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (Bill Faus) writes:

>For example, the demo program was written using MicroSoft C 6.0
>and compiled on a PC.  At run time it checks to see whether the machine
>it's running on is the HP 95LX or a PC.  If the demo finds itself
>running on a PC then it uses the graphics library of MS C.  If
>the demo finds itself running on the HP, then it uses a custom
>set of graphics routines for the 240x128 LCD display.

Are those custom graphics routines available to outsiders?
At any cost?
--
Tapani Tarvainen    (tarvaine@jyu.fi, tarvainen@finjyu.bitnet)

rrd@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (05/01/91)

> 1. Will the cable that connects the 48 to a PC work on the 95?

Yes.

Regards
Ray

everett@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (Everett Kaser) (05/02/91)

tt@tarzan.jyu.fi (Tapani Tarvainen) writes...
>(Bill Faus) writes:
>>If the demo finds itself
>>running on a PC then it uses the graphics library of MS C.  If
>>the demo finds itself running on the HP, then it uses a custom
>>set of graphics routines for the 240x128 LCD display.
>
>Are those custom graphics routines available to outsiders?
>At any cost?
>Tapani Tarvainen    (tarvaine@jyu.fi, tarvainen@finjyu.bitnet)

If you mean "Are they accessible to other 95LX programs and programmers?" the
answer is yes.  They are accessed via a software interrupt (with parameters
in CPU registers).  These are documented and available to ISV's currently,
and will probably be made available via a Corvallis "95LX bbs" at some point
in the not too distant future (this is supposition on my part, so you can't
hold HP to it :-).

If, on the other hand, you mean "Can we get the source or object code files?",
the answer is no.

Everett Kaser                   Hewlett-Packard Company
...hplabs!hp-pcd!everett        work: (503) 750-3569   Corvallis, Oregon
everett%hpcvra@hplabs.hp.com    home: (503) 928-5259   Albany, Oregon