[comp.sys.handhelds] comp.sys.hp48{,.d}

es2j+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edward John Sabol) (04/23/91)

Have these groups been created yet? Or haven't they propagated to my
site yet? If they haven't been created, what's the hold up?

Just wonderin'...

+-------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| Edward J. Sabol               | Arpa:   es2j+@andrew.cmu.edu          |
| Carnegie Mellon University    | Bitnet: es2j@ANDREW.BITNET            |
+-------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| "The streets that Balboa walked were his own private ocean and Balboa |
| was drowning." - August Wilson                                        |
+-------------------------------+---------------------------------------+

spell@seq.uncwil.edu (Chris Spell) (04/24/91)

In <kc4oEJW00awVQRU2dH@andrew.cmu.edu> es2j+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edward John Sabol) writes:

>Have these groups been created yet? Or haven't they propagated to my
>site yet? If they haven't been created, what's the hold up?

>Just wonderin'...

There appears to be a controversy brewing.  I sent out newgroup
messages tonight, but don't bother posting to the newgroups.
They will probably go away.  I have no idea when the groups will
be officially recognized.

Stay tuned.

Chris

Ps.  I was going to save this announcement for the first message
to comp.sys.hp48, but...

For everyone with ftp access, Wayne Scott's archives are
available via anonymous ftp from seq.uncwil.edu (128.109.221.20).

Also EduCalc goodies disks 1 & 2 are there.
--
spell@seq.uncwil.edu             thebeach!spell@seq.uncwil.edu

dan@nic.gac.edu (Dan Boehlke) (04/25/91)

> >Have these groups been created yet? Or haven't they propagated to my
> >site yet? If they haven't been created, what's the hold up?
>
> >Just wonderin'...
>
> There appears to be a controversy brewing.  I sent out newgroup
> messages tonight, but don't bother posting to the newgroups.
> They will probably go away.  I have no idea when the groups will
> be officially recognized.
>
> Stay tuned.
>
> Chris
>
> Ps.  I was going to save this announcement for the first message
> to comp.sys.hp48, but...
>
> For everyone with ftp access, Wayne Scott's archives are
> available via anonymous ftp from seq.uncwil.edu (128.109.221.20).
>
> Also EduCalc goodies disks 1 & 2 are there.
> --
> spell@seq.uncwil.edu             thebeach!spell@seq.uncwil.edu

I do hope to improve the software I am using the impliment this gateway.

I have not seen anyone else step up to take this on, with the exeption of
Chris who was willing to pass things on as they were moderated.  My feed has
been erratic for a week due to news problems at an upstream site so I could
have missed some items on this.  I will set up the lists and post a message
to handhelds when they are ready.  I don't have to wait for news group creation
so I will get on this right away so people can sign up.  I had not heard of
problems with the new groups and am going to check it out now.  I will repost
if I find anything that affects plans for the mailing lists.

--
Dan Boehlke                    Internet:  dan@gac.edu
Campus Network Manager         BITNET:    dan@gacvax1.bitnet

RJW0180%TNTECH.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (04/26/91)

> groups.  I have thought about it a lot and have decided that I can spare the
> time.  This will work in the same was and the current handhelds mailing list.
> I do hope to improve the software I am using the impliment this gateway.
>
> I have not seen anyone else step up to take this on, with the exeption of
> Chris who was willing to pass things on as they were moderated.  My feed has
> been erratic for a week due to news problems at an upstream site so I could
> have missed some items on this.  I will set up the lists and post a message
> to handhelds when they are ready.  I don't have to wait for news group creati
> so I will get on this right away so people can sign up.  I had not heard of
> problems with the new groups and am going to check it out now.  I will repost
> if I find anything that affects plans for the mailing lists.
>
> --
> Dan Boehlke                    Internet:  dan@gac.edu
> Campus Network Manager         BITNET:    dan@gacvax1.bitnet
> Gustavus Adolphus College
> St. Peter, MN 56082 USA        Phone:     (507)933-7596

GOOD!  I was getting a little nervous; just when I started getting into m-l
programming on the 48, it looked like all my contacts to those in the know
were about to be cut off.

Is the handhelds gateway going to stay?  I'm still a bit confused on how the
moderated group is going to be handled.

-Randy Weems
rjw0180@tntech

HCLIMER%UTCVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (harold climer) (04/29/91)

Will the people on comp.sys.handhelds be notified enough in advance so that
we will not miss any postings between the time we cancel our subscriptions to
the general conference and get on the mailing list for the 48 specific
conference?

                                      Harold Climer
                                      Physics Department
                                      U. Tennessee Chattanooga

dan@nic.gac.edu (Dan Boehlke) (04/30/91)

> Will the people on comp.sys.handhelds be notified
> enough in advance so that we will not miss any postings
> between the time we cancel our subscriptions to the
> general conference and get on the mailing list for the 48
> specific conference?

>                                       Harold Climer
>                                       Physics Department
>                                       U. Tennessee Chattanooga

I would like to.  Given the problems with the creation of the new
news groups I might only be able to pull off close.  Chris Spell has
been keeping me informed.  My current plan is to create two mailing
lists as soon as possible.  If necessary I will rename them to
reflect the names of the newsgroups.

--

diamant@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM (John Diamant) (05/04/91)

harold climer (HCLIMER%UTCVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU) writes:
> Will the people on comp.sys.handhelds be notified enough in advance so that
> we will not miss any postings between the time we cancel our subscriptions to
> the general conference and get on the mailing list for the 48 specific
> conference?

I'd recommend staying subscribed to both for a while if you don't want to
miss anything.  I'm sure even after everything's set up, some postings
will still go to comp.sys.handhelds as people learn about the new groups.

John Diamant
Software Engineering Systems Division
Hewlett Packard Co.		ARPA Internet: diamant@hpfclp.sde.hp.com
Fort Collins, CO		UUCP:  {hpfcla,hplabs}!hpfclp!diamant