[comp.sys.handhelds] programming HP-95LX

riley@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Vic Riley) (05/05/91)

I've read the articles on the 95LX in PC Computing and Byte, and I've
followed the discussion here.  I have one basic question: what is the
programmability of the 95LX?  Does the DOS implementation include BASIC?
Will there be (or are there) high level language cards available?  How are
the calculator section functions programmed?  Do they emulate the 19-B (or
whatever) programming functions, or do they extend to the rest of the
system?  I'm not interested in modifying DOS programs for an LX (I use a
Mac); I am interested in both programming my own applications on the
machine and in writing code that I can transfer to a desktop PC or Mac.
Frankly, I'm less interested in the built in applications and more
interested in the idea of having a fully capable, fully programmable PC in
a handheld package.

anthony@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) (05/05/91)

In article <1991May5.011552.10351@src.honeywell.com> riley@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Vic Riley) writes:
>Frankly, I'm less interested in the built in applications and more
>interested in the idea of having a fully capable, fully programmable PC in
>a handheld package.

If this is what you want, you may want to consider one of the other
hand held machines out there.  The MS-DOS compatible machines such as
the Atari Portfolio, Poquet PC, and HP-95LX are only a small part of
the handheld market.  My own handheld is the Psion Organiser II XP.
It's language resembles a structured BASIC, but really it's not all
that bad.  It has two slots which can hold a combination of EPROM,
Flash EPROM, ROM, or RAM, up to 256KB each.

What kind of features are you looking for in a handheld?  What
specifications: Display size, memory, keyboard, case configuration
(clamshell, slab), interfaces.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber	anthony@csd4.csd.uwm.edu   uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony