[comp.sys.handhelds] HP - 95LX

yvesr@vlsi.polymtl.ca (Yves Rocheleau) (04/01/91)

In article <17895@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> ayeh@sdcc13.ucsd.edu ({{{= Achilles =}}}) writes:
>Does anyone have more recent information about HP-95lx?  Is it more
>like Atari Portfolio or hp-48sx or a mix of both.  How does its
>keyboard layout (qwerty or calculator? If Qwerty, how does the
>layout compensate calculator function?).  How much mathmatical
>function does it offer?   How is the screen?  Any input will be
>appreciated.
>
>_Albert

According to a rumor going around :

FEATURES:
	* Lotus 1-2-3 Version 2.2
		-The Industry standard spreadsheet
		-Database, Graphics, Macros
	* Advanced Calculator
		-Algebraic or RPN option
		-Business and science functions (TVM, Amortization,
			unit/currency conversions, sum list, trig...)
		-HP Solve, Function graphing, 1-2-3 Backsolve
	  	-Transfer numbers to/from other applications
	* Personnal Information Management (Enhanced Lotus Metro)
		-Appointment book: calendars, schedule, alarms, auto-repeat,
			to-do list, notes
		-Real time clock, world time zones, stopwatch
		-Phone book
		-Simple text editor
		-Search, edit, cut & paste, clipboard
		-File manager with Launcher for External Applications
	* Built-In spreadsheet templates:cash flow analysis, statistics
	* "Seamless" HP-95LX<-->PC, HP-95LX<-->HP-95LX data transfer;
			Data Comm(Terminal Emulation); Printer drivers
			(Epson FX-80, LaserJet, IBM ProPrinter)
	* Customizable: Lotus 1-2-3 templates, macros, plug-in ROM,
			compiled C programs
	* Easy to use top level interface

PLATFORM:
	* 8088 compatible CPU
	* MS-DOS in ROM operating system (3.2)
	* 16x40 character STN display
	* 1024K bytes of ROM, 512K bytes of PSRAM
	* Small size - 3.4x6.3x1.0 inches
	* 2 AA batteries, 1 backup lithium battery
	* Serial I/O (3 wires), IR
	* 1 plug-in slot (standard ROM/RAM cards)
	* QWERTY Keyboard (90 keys)

/*********   Will be released during April 1991   ********/

mdm@vlsi.polymtl.ca (Marc de Montigny) (04/01/91)

BIG MISTAKE, I'm sorry for yvesr, I was connected under his name when I post
the previous article. And I didn't signed it...

In article <1991Apr1.153651.16165@vlsi.polymtl.ca> yvesr@vlsi.polymtl.ca (Yves Rocheleau) writes:

>In article <17895@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> ayeh@sdcc13.ucsd.edu ({{{= Achilles =}}}) writes:
>>Does anyone have more recent information about HP-95lx?  Is it more
>>like Atari Portfolio or hp-48sx or a mix of both.  How does its
>>keyboard layout (qwerty or calculator? If Qwerty, how does the
>>layout compensate calculator function?).  How much mathmatical
>>function does it offer?   How is the screen?  Any input will be
>>appreciated.
>>
>>_Albert
>
>According to a rumor going around :
>
>FEATURES:
>	* Lotus 1-2-3 Version 2.2
>		-The Industry standard spreadsheet
>		-Database, Graphics, Macros
>	* Advanced Calculator
>		-Algebraic or RPN option
>		-Business and science functions (TVM, Amortization,
>			unit/currency conversions, sum list, trig...)
>		-HP Solve, Function graphing, 1-2-3 Backsolve
>	  	-Transfer numbers to/from other applications
>	* Personnal Information Management (Enhanced Lotus Metro)
>		-Appointment book: calendars, schedule, alarms, auto-repeat,
>			to-do list, notes
>		-Real time clock, world time zones, stopwatch
>		-Phone book
>		-Simple text editor
>		-Search, edit, cut & paste, clipboard
>		-File manager with Launcher for External Applications
>	* Built-In spreadsheet templates:cash flow analysis, statistics
>	* "Seamless" HP-95LX<-->PC, HP-95LX<-->HP-95LX data transfer;
>			Data Comm(Terminal Emulation); Printer drivers
>			(Epson FX-80, LaserJet, IBM ProPrinter)
>	* Customizable: Lotus 1-2-3 templates, macros, plug-in ROM,
>			compiled C programs
>	* Easy to use top level interface
>
>PLATFORM:
>	* 8088 compatible CPU
>	* MS-DOS in ROM operating system (3.2)
>	* 16x40 character STN display
>	* 1024K bytes of ROM, 512K bytes of PSRAM
>	* Small size - 3.4x6.3x1.0 inches
>	* 2 AA batteries, 1 backup lithium battery
>	* Serial I/O (3 wires), IR
>	* 1 plug-in slot (standard ROM/RAM cards)
>	* QWERTY Keyboard (90 keys)
>

>/*********   Will be released during April 1991   ********/

							Marc de Montigny
							mdm@info.polymtl.ca

steelie@bucsf.bu.edu (James Howard) (04/02/91)

  With all this talk about the new HP-95 LX, I just had to go look
at my calender and verify today's date,,   :-)

-------------
steelie@bucsf.bu.edu
-------------

s2499576%techst02.technion.ac.il@TAUNIVM.TAU.AC.IL (Yaniv Shaya) (04/02/91)

With such specifications (and don't forget the name behind it: HP) it would

probably cost like a 33 MHz 486 +256K cache and SUPERVGA. It certeinly won't
come as a replacement to the 48.

akcs.Guest_@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Carol bourne) (05/03/91)

Has anyone seen the new 95LX?  Does anyone have one yet?  I hear it's
great!!  Would anyone know the best language to use for doing a number
crunching (data only) program for this MS-DOS compatible handheld? If so,
could you leave a message here?  Thanks.
                                            ----carol b.-----

everett@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (Everett Kaser) (05/08/91)

 (Carol bourne) writes...
>Would anyone know the best language to use for doing a number
>crunching (data only) program for this MS-DOS compatible handheld?
                                            ----carol b.-----

The HP 95LX runs standard MS-DOS programs, so write in whatever language
you wish, as long as it generates a .EXE or .COM program.  There are not
any languages currently available that run ON the HP 95LX, although I've
successfully run MASM, LINK, and EXE2BIN.  I'd recommend using a PC with
MASM or C, then hose the program across using a serial cable and either
the filer/connectivity_pack or the COMM application.  You could also get
a ThinCard drive for your PC that will take the memory cards, and that
makes it real easy to move files back and forth, but the drives are not
cheap.

Everett
Everett Kaser                   Hewlett-Packard Company
...hplabs!hp-pcd!everett        work: (503) 750-3569   Corvallis, Oregon
everett%hpcvra@hplabs.hp.com    home: (503) 928-5259   Albany, Oregon