[comp.sys.handhelds] IR remote control

bb@swamp.cis.ufl.edu (Brian Bartholomew) (03/28/90)

Well, now.  I suppose it is only a matter of days, before someone
figures out how to get greater control out of the I/R LED port
on either a 28S or 48X.  Once it is known how to twiddle it, I
expect to see a "Master Home Electronics Controller," a'la the
one that Jobs built.  Imagine controlling your TV, VCR, CD, STEREO,
and EIEIO from the convenience of your favorite chair.  You might
like it so much, that you will want to purchase another whole
calculator, just for living-room use.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo."
Brian Bartholomew	UUCP:       ...gatech!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!bb
University of Florida	Internet:   bb@beach.cis.ufl.edu
--
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo."
Brian Bartholomew	UUCP:       ...gatech!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!bb
University of Florida	Internet:   bb@beach.cis.ufl.edu

kackerma@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Kevin D Ackerman) (05/08/91)

Anyone?
	I am at my wits end now.  I have tried everyone else but the newsgroup
can anyone help me?

Andy,
	Hi, I originally tried to get a hold of Eric Toonen but I couldn't
e-mail him maybe you could help me since I know you had the same problem.
Here is the letter I was going to send him.  I would appreciate it if you
could tell me if you found out any useful fix for this:

Eric,
	Hi, my name is Kevin Ackerman and I am a pretty green hp28s
user.  I have recently downloaded your remote control program for the
28.  I ftp'ed the file from 2 sources funic.funet.fi and
plains.nodak.edu.  After typing the program in, everything went O.K.
except for the rc5 program.  I typed this in:

	'RC5' [7BFA]
	<< IP 128 MOD
	  IF DUP 64 <
	  THEN 12288			;RC5?
	  ELSE 8192			;or Extended RC5?
	  END SWAP 64 MOD +
	GROUP IP 32 MOD 64 *		;GROUP is a variable with the
	+ DUP				;      groupcode
	  IF OLD SAME			;OLD is made by RC5
	  THEN 4096 +
	  END DUP 'OLD' STO
	64 * SEND

The checksum that I got for this was [1463].  I noticed that the file
I ftp'ed from plains.nodak.edu had a response after it where another
person was having the same problems and got this same checksum [1463].
I looked for a response or a correction to this but could not find it.
Could you tell me if there is a correction to this.  If not maybe I
did something else wrong and I could describe in more detail what I
did.  I don't know how busy you are but if you have the time I could
describe the situation in more detail but I thought maybe you might
have a quick fix.

	Also will this remote control work on just about any ir
controlled system or are these groups only for a certain manufacturer.
I guess I don't quite have a grasp on the ir standards of the
world.:-)

Here is the header on the file I found (if it will help):

Article 1326 of comp.sys.handhelds:
From: jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen NE Bos)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.handhelds
Subject: 28S as a universal remote control