[comp.sys.handhelds] ST -> Portfolio

harry@actrix.gen.nz (Harry Page) (05/07/91)

I have just brought a Portfolio and wish to connect it to my Atari
ST via the parallel port. The software shipped with the Portfolio
is only for IBM compatibles. Does anyone know where I can get
software to talk to my ST? Has anyone had any success running the PC
software under an emulator like PC ditto? What should the cable look
like? Any help would be much appreciated...

Harry

laird@think.com (Laird Popkin) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May07.065635.16632@actrix.gen.nz> harry@actrix.gen.nz (Harry Page) writes:

>I have just brought a Portfolio and wish to connect it to my Atari
>ST via the parallel port. The software shipped with the Portfolio
>is only for IBM compatibles. Does anyone know where I can get
>software to talk to my ST? Has anyone had any success running the PC
>software under an emulator like PC ditto? What should the cable look
>like? Any help would be much appreciated...

There is a program which you can use on an Atari ST, with a special cable,
to transfer files between the ST and Portfolio.  The ST program and
instructions on creating the cable are available on GEnie (commercial
network), and hopefully on some FTP site somewhere.  If you don't want to
make the cable (which is surprisingly complex, with a chip or two involved!),
someone is selling the pre-built cable for about $35.

I don't have a copy of the file, or I would post it to an FTP site and
tell you where it is.  But at least you know that the information exists
and where you can get it...

>Harry

- Laird Popkin, Thinking Machines

Connection Machine: Massively parallel supercomputer.  Also a cool black
cube with more blinking lights than you can shake a stick at.

graeme@grep.co.uk (Graeme Cawsey) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May07.065635.16632@actrix.gen.nz> harry@actrix.gen.nz (Harry Page) writes:

>I have just brought a Portfolio and wish to connect it to my Atari
>ST via the parallel port. The software shipped with the Portfolio
>is only for IBM compatibles. Does anyone know where I can get
>software to talk to my ST? Has anyone had any success running the PC
>software under an emulator like PC ditto? What should the cable look
>like? Any help would be much appreciated...

The current issue of "The DIP Pocket-PC / Atari Portfolio Product Directory"
from DIP Ltd lists the following item:

Portlink - Lets the Pocket-PC talk to an Atari ST/TT

Portlink is a powerful data transfer program between the Pocket-PC and the
Atari ST/TT.  Portlink is easy to use and has various special features
including:

	Two way transfer
	All kinds of files (.dat .txt)
	No additional programming needed for the Pocket-PC
	Supports the hard disk and drive A of the Pocket-PC
	Rename while transferring files
	Works with parallel interface
	Transfer cable included

Availability: Immediate
Price:	      59.53 pounds sterling

Portlink is from a company called Createam but I don't know if they are UK
based or not.  Your best bet is to get in touch with DIP at

DIP Ltd.
32 Frederick Sanger Road
Surrey Research Park
Guildford
Surrey
United Kingdom
GU2 5XN

Tel: +44 483 301555
Fax: +44 483 301434

--
Graeme Cawsey	(graeme@grep.co.uk)
Grep Ltd., Kirkfields Business Centre, Kirk Lane, Leeds, UK, LS19 7LX

swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu ( EVENSONG) (05/09/91)

laird@think.com (Laird Popkin) writes:

>In article <1991May07.065635.16632@actrix.gen.nz> harry@actrix.gen.nz (Harry Page) writes:
>>
>>I have just brought a Portfolio and wish to connect it to my Atari
>>ST via the parallel port. The software shipped with the Portfolio
>>is only for IBM compatibles.

>There is a program which you can use on an Atari ST, with a special cable,
>to transfer files between the ST and Portfolio.  The ST program and
>instructions on creating the cable are available on GEnie (commercial

If someone has this file, please send it to the atari.archive.umich.edu

Thanks

swood

P.S. In the meantime, I will look around on Compuserve.  I don't have access
to GEnie

--
 ---- Insert favorite .signature here ----	| swood@argo.acs.oakland.edu
						| swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu
Bitnet:		swood@Oakland			| swood@unix.secs.oakland.edu
  UUCP:		...!uunet!umich!{vela, argo, unix, nucleus}!swood