[comp.sys.handhelds] HP95C

tt@tarzan.jyu.fi (Tapani Tarvainen) (04/11/91)

In article <51394@apple.Apple.COM> dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) writes:

>   Here is a list of HP calculators for those who are historically minded.

Does anybody else remember rumours about a thing called HP95C
(around 1976 or so)?  It was supposed to be something like
a 25C with printer (97-like case), reportedly shown to dealers
but then withdrawn and never officially released.
Is that anywhere near the truth?
Does anybody at HP remember and dare to tell anything about it?
How many were actually made?  Are there any left?
(Yes, I know, it's against company policy to speak about
unannounced products, but ... )
--
Tapani Tarvainen    (tarvaine@jyu.fi, tarvainen@finjyu.bitnet)

ken@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com (Kenneth M. Sumrall) (04/13/91)

>Here is a list of HP calculators for those who are historically minded.
>By the way, if you have an old HP calculator that you really don't want,
>there are those of us on the net that would like to buy them, hint,
>hint.
>
>MODEL   DESCRIPTION
>01      - Calculator watch, in gold or silver.

Just bought one of these about 1 month ago.  It came with original
case, pen, 100 page manual, and quick reference card.  I'd been looking
for one for about two years.  Then I saw two of them for sale in the space
of about 2 weeks.  I paid list price 13 years after it was manufactured
($750.00).  So, was I a fool, or is that a reasonable price?  BTW, it is
in EXCELLENT shape!

Amazing little device for 1977, though it did weigh 6 ounces or so.

| Ken Sumrall                          |     Internet: ken%hpda@hplabs.hp.com |
| HP California Language Labs          |           UUCP:  ...!hplabs!hpda!ken |
|    "I'd stomp desert dope heads for some gas in my moped!" - Bill the Cat   |
|              "What a stupid world" -Calvin (speaking to Hobbes)             |

rob@ireta.cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Prior) (04/14/91)

ken@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com (Kenneth M. Sumrall) writes:

> >MODEL   DESCRIPTION
> >------------------------------------------------
> >01      - Calculator watch, in gold or silver.

> Just bought one of these about 1 month ago.  It came with original
> case, pen, 100 page manual, and quick reference card.  I'd been looking
> for one for about two years.  Then I saw two of them for sale in the space
> of about 2 weeks.  I paid list price 13 years after it was manufactured
> ($750.00).  So, was I a fool, or is that a reasonable price?  BTW, it is
> in EXCELLENT shape!

But is it RPN?

+------------
+------------------------------------------------------------

ken@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com (Kenneth M. Sumrall) (04/17/91)

>> >01      - Calculator watch, in gold or silver.

>> Just bought one of these about 1 month ago.  It came with original
>> case, pen, 100 page manual, and quick reference card.  I'd been looking
>> for one for about two years.  Then I saw two of them for sale in the space
>> of about 2 weeks.  I paid list price 13 years after it was manufactured
>> ($750.00).  So, was I a fool, or is that a reasonable price?  BTW, it is
>> in EXCELLENT shape!
>
>But is it RPN?

No.  However, it can do date arithmetic, (subtract two dates and give
the number of days between them, etc.) time arithmetic, has a stopwatch,
alarm, scientific notation, and a neat feature that keeps running totals
based on the value of the stopwatch.

Ken Sumrall
ken@hpda.cup.hp.com

akcs.egarcia@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Edwin Garcia) (04/21/91)

Just thought I'd add the following to your "list" of HP calculators,
for those who "gotta have" all of them... There are at least three
different known versions of the HP-35 (HP's very first calculator):

   Early HP-35, identifiable by following characteristics:
      - front nameplate says "Hewlett-Packard" only
      - first four rows of keys have legends printed on the land
        area immediately above the keys
      - first four rows of keys are nearly square in shape

   Middle HP-35:
      - same as early HP-35, except nameplate was changed to read
        "Hewlett-Packard 35"

   Late HP-35:
      - first four rows of keys had legends placed on keys themselves
        to match style of the other keys
      - first four rows of keys are rectangular in shape

Many thanks to David Ramsey for pointing out this fact to me, based
on observing HP-35's he acquired from U.S. Atomic Energy Commission
(AEC) and Energy Research Development Agency (ERDA)!

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (04/23/91)

Early HP-35s also had a bug when dealing with the Sqrt(2.02) if my
memory serves me right.  (I know the number was 2.02 -- I just don't
remember the operation for sure.)  Anyway, those early HP-35s with this
bug are QUITE RARE, as most owners opted to get the free upgrade to a
newer ROM that corrected the bug.

Dan Allen
Soon to be owner of the latest HP, the HP-95LX

jpser@cup.portal.com (John Paul Serafin) (04/23/91)

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) writes:
>Early HP-35s also had a bug when dealing with the Sqrt(2.02) if my
>memory serves me right.  (I know the number was 2.02 -- I just don't
>remember the operation for sure.)  Anyway, those early HP-35s with this
>bug are QUITE RARE, as most owners opted to get the free upgrade to a
>newer ROM that corrected the bug.
>
>Dan Allen
>Soon to be owner of the latest HP, the HP-95LX
The early HP-35 bug was the incorrect exponention of the natural log
of 2.02; the HP-35 calculated the log of 2.02 correct to 10 digits,
but exp of that number returned 2.0
There were also some very obscure trig bugs involving some very
unlikely arguments.   I would certainly be interest in the story of
how those were found.
As to having bugs fixed, I wonder how many people are still clinging
to the "good" bugs in their early HP-41's.   The existance of those
features arguably had a profound effect on the evolution of HP handhelds.
John Serafin
jpser@cup.portal.com

sterling@cbmvax.commodore.com (Rick Sterling) (04/23/91)

In article <28116797:2733.7comp.sys.handhelds;1@hpcvbbs.UUCP> akcs.egarcia@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Edwin Garcia) writes:
> Just thought I'd add the following to your "list" of HP calculators,
> for those who "gotta have" all of them... There are at least three
> different known versions of the HP-35 (HP's very first calculator):
>
>    Early HP-35, identifiable by following characteristics:
>       - front nameplate says "Hewlett-Packard" only
>       - first four rows of keys have legends printed on the land
>         area immediately above the keys
>       - first four rows of keys are nearly square in shape

Can also be distinguished by what probably was first HP calculator bug in
a production unit. If my memory serves me right it had trouble with the
natural log of 2. I purchased my HP35 from a traveling HP salesman, serial
number 200.

--
 __      __
|__)    (__`
|  \ick ,__)terling
Test Engineering
Commodore Technology Group  (215)-431-9275
UUCP ...{uunet,allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!sterling

akcs.egarcia@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Edwin Garcia) (05/10/91)

In addition to the rare "LN 2 bug" species of the HP-35 there is
also a rare variation of the now extinct HP-45 (may she rest in
peace).  Apparently some of the very first HP-45's had only RCL
arithmetic but not STO arithmetic.  The owner of such a beast thus
holds in the palm of his hands the long lost ancient ancestor of all
subsequent HP handhelds which used storage arithmetic, the so-called
"missing link" if you will.  If you have an HP-45 with S serial
number greater than 1301S 2000 or an A serial number greater than
1336A 00000, consider yourself to be the lucky owner of one of the
very first HP handhelds to have both STO and RCL arithmetic!