[comp.sys.handhelds] Poquet keyboard

bcp@CS.CMU.EDU (Benjamin Pierce) (05/09/91)

I've heard a lot of claims that the Poquet keyboard is useless for
touch typing, but a friend that owns one says he learned to touch type
quite comfortably in a few hours.  Any comments from other Poquet
owners?

More general question: My two critical requirements in a computer are
very light weight -- 2 pounds absolute max -- and a keyboard with a
reasonably good feel to it.  The Poquet still seems to be about the
only contender in this category.  Is it just a matter of technology,
or is this market considered uninteresting by the manufacturers?

	Benjamin Pierce

P.S.  My apologies if this topic has probably been done to death
already in this newsgroup; I couldn't find a site with a complete set
of back-issues...

laird@think.com (Laird Popkin) (05/10/91)

In article <BCP.91May9102435@PROOF.ERGO.CS.CMU.EDU> bcp@CS.CMU.EDU (Benjamin Pierce) writes:

>I've heard a lot of claims that the Poquet keyboard is useless for
>touch typing, but a friend that owns one says he learned to touch type
>quite comfortably in a few hours.  Any comments from other Poquet
>owners?

I don't own a Poquet, but I spent quite a while in a store typing on one,
and I found the keyboard to be quite usable.  It's certainly not as nice as
a full sized keyboard, but I could touch type on it with no problems.  This
is as opposed to the keyboards on the smaller handhelds (Portfolio, 95LX, etc.)
on which (to quote Byte's review of the 95LX this month) "Even the Great
American short story would be difficult to pull off."

Of course, the _real_ answer is to sit down in a store and type on their
Poquet for a while to see how you like the keyboard.

>More general question: My two critical requirements in a computer are
>very light weight -- 2 pounds absolute max -- and a keyboard with a
>reasonably good feel to it.  The Poquet still seems to be about the
>only contender in this category.  Is it just a matter of technology,
>or is this market considered uninteresting by the manufacturers?

You might want to look at the NEC Ultralight that DAK is selling heavily
discounted.  I tend to avoid discontinued products on general principles,
but it's probably worth investigating.  Any NEC UL owners here?  You may
want to ask on comp.sys.laptops about comparing the NEC and Poquet.

>	Benjamin Pierce

- Laird Popkin, Thinking Machines

Connection Machine: Massively parallel supercomputer.  Also a cool black
cube with more blinking lights than you can shake a stick at.

fiedler@netcom.COM (David Fiedler) (05/10/91)

laird@think.com (Laird Popkin) writes:

>>More general question: My two critical requirements in a computer are
>>very light weight -- 2 pounds absolute max -- and a keyboard with a
>>reasonably good feel to it.

>You might want to look at the NEC Ultralight that DAK is selling heavily
>discounted.

I believe the NEC is 2 kilos (i.e. 4.4 pounds), not 2 pounds, but it IS a
lot lighter than most other noteboooks.
--
David Fiedler       UUCP:{ames,mrspoc,hoptoad}!infopro!david        AIR: N3717R
"Video for Computer Professionals"   BIX: fiedler  Internet: fiedler@netcom.com

ih@udel.edu (Charlie Ih) (05/13/91)

In article <BCP.91May9102435@PROOF.ERGO.CS.CMU.EDU> bcp@CS.CMU.EDU (Benjamin Pierce) writes:

>I've heard a lot of claims that the Poquet keyboard is useless for
>touch typing, but a friend that owns one says he learned to touch type
>quite comfortably in a few hours.  .....

The orginal keyboard was indeed pretty bad, even I am not critical
on keyboards and screens.  Since then they have improved the keyboard.
Now the keyboard is quite reasonable.  Let face it, all keyboards are
different and you have to learn to adapt to new keyboards if you want
to keep up with new computers.  Good luck!