[comp.sys.handhelds] HP48 Auto-Off procedure?

akcs.briank@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Brian Korver) (05/14/91)

Is there any way to get the HP48SX to execute a program before it does
its automatic shutoff?

jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen NE Bos) (05/14/91)

akcs.briank@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Brian Korver) writes:

>Is there any way to get the HP48SX to execute a program before it does
>its automatic shutoff?

You could set an alarm that does your procedure and shut the machine off.  The
alarm could be moved regularly in a program that gets executed reasonably
often.

edp@jareth.enet.dec.com (Eric Postpischil (Always mount a scratch monkey.)) (05/15/91)

In article <3515@charon.cwi.nl>, jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen NE Bos) writes:

>>Is there any way to get the HP48SX to execute a program before it does
>>its automatic shutoff?
>
>You could set an alarm that does your procedure and shut the machine off.  The
>alarm could be moved regularly in a program that gets executed reasonably
>often.

I was going to say:  Yes, there's a way.  Push the menu button for the
program or type its name.  This will cause the program to execute before
the 48 shuts off automatically.  :-)

But seriously, your message gives me another idea.  One could turn on
vectored entry (by setting flags -62 and -63).  This will cause the
programs \GaENTER and \GbENTER to be searched for and executed at every
ENTER operation; one of those could reschedule the alarm.  It would be
easiest to use \GbENTER.  Create a program with the name \GbENTER --
that's a Greek beta character followed by ENTER.  The program should do
a DROP (to get rid of the string it is passed), delete the pending
alarm, and schedule a new one.  One annoying thing is that searching for
alarms is not completely simple -- one has to match the object in the
alarm, since other alarms may have the same time, and the index may
change if other alarms are activated or set.  Another annoying thing is
that this will consume time every time the user presses ENTER.

				-- edp (Eric Postpischil)
				"Always mount a scratch monkey."
				edp@jareth.enet.dec.com

guru@buhub.bradley.edu (Jerry Whelan) (05/15/91)

In article <22680@shlump.lkg.dec.com> edp@jareth.enet.dec.com (Eric Postpischil (Always mount a scratch monkey.)) writes:

-} alarm, and schedule a new one.  One annoying thing is that searching for
-} alarms is not completely simple -- one has to match the object in the
-} alarm, since other alarms may have the same time, and the index may
-} change if other alarms are activated or set.  Another annoying thing is
-} that this will consume time every time the user presses ENTER.

	Rather than updating the alarm, you might want to use a flag to
signify off-ability.  For a 5 minute auto-shut off, you would schedule
the alarm every 2.5 minutes.  It would check the flag and if 1, set it
to 0 and if 0 shut the calculator down.  The vectored-entry function would
always set the flag to a 1.  This isn't perfect, but it would probably
be much faster.
	"I'm not sure what I mean, so I'm going to listen to what I say."
 guru@ (buhub.bradley.edu || bucc1.bradley.edu) || whelan@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu

davew@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Dave Waller) (05/16/91)

This brings up another question I have been pondering -- is there any
way to disable auto-off? I have had the calculator set up in kermit
server mode several times as it is a convenient way to
upload/edit/download programs from a computer without having to
constantly press RECV or SEND. However, the damn thing shuts itself off
all the time.

How to disable auto-off? Enquiring minds want to know...

Dave Waller