[comp.sys.handhelds] This is kinda irregular...

b3300876@rick.cs.ubc.ca (george chow) (05/12/91)

This is not really the right group but I'm not sure where it really belongs...
and because there's such a collection of people here, surely someone
would have the answer.... ;)

How did it came about that we have 60 seconds in a minute and 60 minutes in
an hour? What about the situation with degrees (i.e., 60 minutes in a degree,
60 seconds in a minute.) I seem to recall vaguely that it may had to do with
the Babylonians.

Of course, email will suffice.

George

gingell@aurs01.UUCP (Mike Gingell) (05/14/91)

b3300876@rick.cs.ubc.ca (george chow) writes:

> How did it came about that we have 60 seconds in a minute and 60
> minutes in an hour? What about the situation with degrees (i.e., 60
> minutes in a, degree,60 seconds in a minute.) I seem to recall
> vaguely that it may had to do with the Babylonians.

Because 60 is subdivisible by so many exact factors. Which is what makes
100 such a lousy arithmetic base. It would have been much better for
mathematics if man had been born with 12 fingers.

Mike Gingell, Alcatel, Raleigh, NC USA  (919) 850-6444
UUCP:       ...!mcnc!aurgate!aurfs1!gingell
Internet:   gingell%aurfs1%aurgate@mcnc.org

bruceb@informix.com (Bruce Barr) (05/16/91)

In article <59829@aurs01.UUCP> gingell@aurs01.UUCP (Mike Gingell) writes:
>Because 60 is subdivisible by so many exact factors. Which is what makes
>100 such a lousy arithmetic base. It would have been much better for
>mathematics if man had been born with 12 fingers.

But man does have 12 counting digits.  Ten fingers and two feet.  This is
the reason many languages have a special word for numbers up to 12 but then
start in on some variation of 3 and 10, 4 and 10, etc.

BB