[comp.sys.handhelds] RESET Button

aaastrom@nike.calpoly.edu (Allen Aastrom) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May12.203824.12992@colorado.edu> frechett@spot.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) writes:

>In article <BD3E1CE8C000083D@gacvx2.gac.edu> TDSTRONG%MTUS5.cts.mtu.edu@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:

>>fine however when run the machine entirely locked up.  Even pulling the
>>batteries and the dreaded ON-A-F failed to work.  The last resort was the
>>RESET Button and that worked.

>NOW, we are on the point of this message... I see this all the time...
>someone posts.. "... it locked up the calculator.... ON-C didn't work ....
>ON-A-F didn't work... pulling the batteries didn't work... and finally
>I tried the reset button as a last resort and it worked.... "
>WHY??? I don't understand why people use it as a last resort.  Let me let you

>stays off. It seems to be a bit kinder than ON-A-F.  I say use it right
>after ON-C.  What are other people's comments?
>
>	ian
>
>-=Runaway Daemon=-

I highly agree! If ON-C doesn't work, I go directly for the RESET.

And BTW ian, the exact problem you described with the older version of tetris
happened to me too. And I thought I was the only one to have that happen to!

IMS103@psuvm.psu.edu (Ian Matthew Smith) (05/15/91)

As to why people try ON-C ON-A-F and then the button (if at all)
may be because they may have had experinces like mine.  Nothing
horrible, just that in EVERY HP I have had, one of those little
rubber feet always seems to come unstuck and get lost.  Well, I
took the plunge and took off one of the feet on my 48SX, and to
my surprise, they are not glued on.  They are just very deep holes.
I may have missed it, but I don't remember anybody mentioning the
fact that the feet are not glued on and therefrore there is no
real danger of them falling off from removing them.  Cheers.

 - Ian Smith <<ims103@psuvm.psu.edu>>

FORSTHO@IITVAX.BITNET (05/15/91)

>Incidentally on the version E's I heard the reset moved under the upper
>right hand foot but I don't know for sure.

Yes, on the ver E, the reset button is under the upper right hand foot.

* Thomas L. Fors                             *
* Illinois Institute of Technology           *
* MCL Inc.                                   *
*                                            *
* BitNet:      forstho@iitvax.bitnet         *
* CompuServe:  76557,344                     *
*                                            *

egraeler@uceng.UC.EDU (Eric S Graeler) (05/16/91)

In article <A8FA60402000005D@gacvx1.gac.edu>, FORSTHO@IITVAX.BITNET writes:
> >Incidentally on the version E's I heard the reset moved under the upper
> >right hand foot but I don't know for sure.
>
> Yes, on the ver E, the reset button is under the upper right hand foot.

   I have ver E, and my reset is under the upper left hand foot with the
calculator turned over.  Maybe it has to do more with when the calculator
was manufactured.  I wonder what HP changed that I am getting or missing
out on.

				Eric Graeler
				egraeler@uceng.uc.edu