[comp.sys.handhelds] ML tetris

frechett@spot.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) (04/15/91)

Truely impressive.. The smoothness of this one just blows the partial
ML version away.. Unfortunately the key layout is driving me nuts.  If
the keys were in some resonable layout the fact that it also rotates the
pieced the wrong direction might not bug me as much.. ;)  I couldn't
play it long enough to see if it gets any faster.. Does it?

So when is someone going to tear this thing apart?

	ian

-=Runaway Daemon=-

IUGC500@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU (David Holland IUGC500@INDYVAX) (04/15/91)

Even better....

Why doesn't the author just simply post thier source code.?????
(hint - hint - nudge - nudge.. ;)

Even me, not currently being a hp48sx programmer, wouldn't mind
seeing it. :)

David Holland
IUGC500@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU (INTERNET)
IUGC500@INDYVAX (BITNET)

bson@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Jan Brittenson) (04/16/91)

In a posting of [15 Apr 91 06:15:48 GMT]
   frechett@spot.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) writes:

 > If the keys were in some resonable layout the fact that it also
 > rotates the pieced the wrong direction might not bug me as much.. ;)

   All Tetrixen seem to rotate the same way, though. Sure as h*ll is
counter-intuitive to rotate counter-clockwise. At least my brain
resists it. Perhaps it was intentional, to make the original game a
little more difficult?

						-- Jan Brittenson
						   bson@ai.mit.edu

johnt@meaddata.com (John Townsend) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr15.061548.12826@colorado.edu>, frechett@spot.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) writes:

|> Truely impressive.. The smoothness of this one just blows the partial
|> ML version away.. Unfortunately the key layout is driving me nuts.  If
|> the keys were in some resonable layout the fact that it also rotates the
|> pieced the wrong direction might not bug me as much.. ;)  I couldn't
|> play it long enough to see if it gets any faster.. Does it?

Actually, I find the key layout to be quite usable.  Maybe I'm just naturally
"all thumbs", but if you hold the goddess (aka HP48) with both hands you can
use your left thumb (on the 'left-shift' and '4' keys) to rotate and your right
thumb (on the '5', '6', and 'multiply' keys) to go left, drop, or go right.  If
you happen to be used to one of the other versions making the rounds, I can see
how you might find it a bit awkward at first, but once you get used to this
one, I don't think you'll want to go back.  And why does everyone keep saying
that it rotates the wrong way?  The 'left-shift' key does a "normal" rotation,
and the '4' key is a bonus -- it rotates the other way if you want to.  If
you're like me, though, you can probably push one key three times before you
can make up your mind which of two keys to press and how many times you're
going to press it.  And yes, Virginia, it does get faster.  _God_ it gets fast.
So far, I haven't survived past level 5 (it increments the level every 10 lines
just like the real thing), and it seems that the pieces fall about as fast as
if you were holding down the drop key.  My compliments to the author.

Rather than continuing to beat Tetris to death, I'd like to see someone write
the real challenge: Hextris.  Hextris is much like Tetris, except that each
piece is composed of four hexagons, rather than squares.  Thus there are eleven
different pieces, instead of just seven, and some of them are pretty wild.
They look sorta like this:

   *    *   *    *     *    *   *    *     *   **                  *
   *    *   *     *   *    *     *   **   **   **    and the       *
   *    *   *    *     *   *     *   *     *        nefarious     * *
   *   *     *    *   *     *   *

In addition, each piece can be rotated six different ways, rather than just
four.  THIS is when you need a backwards rotation!  Obviously, the floor and
walls of the play area need to have sort of a "corrugated" look, in order to
fit the pieces exactly, and "lines" are slightly zig-zagged, rather than
straight.  Best of luck to the brave souls who write this for the '48!

--
     John Townsend                 Internet:   johnt@meaddata.com
 c/o Mead Data Central             UUCP:       ...!uunet!meaddata!skibum!johnt

ahernsd@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Dynastar) (04/18/91)

In <3982@meaddata.meaddata.com> johnt@meaddata.com (John Townsend) writes:
>Rather than continuing to beat Tetris to death, I'd like to see someone write
>the real challenge: Hextris.  Hextris is much like Tetris, except that each
>	[stuff]
>straight.  Best of luck to the brave souls who write this for the '48!

Man!  This sounds beautiful!  And very hard to program.  I am only a beginning
programmer on the 48, but this intrigues me enough to try (once exams and
projects are over!).

Anyone else wanna byte (haha) ?

jmorriso@ee.ubc.ca (John Paul Morrison) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr15.061548.12826@colorado.edu>, frechett@spot.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) writes:

> Truely impressive.. The smoothness of this one just blows the partial
> ML version away.. Unfortunately the key layout is driving me nuts.  If
> the keys were in some resonable layout the fact that it also rotates the
> pieced the wrong direction might not bug me as much.. ;)  I couldn't
> play it long enough to see if it gets any faster.. Does it?
>

> -=Runaway Daemon=-

Actually, the keys are good, when you are used to it: just play with two thumbs.

It DOES get faster. Much too fast. It gets faster smoothly and then it jumps into
crazy speed mode.

There is also a weency bug: sometimes parts of blocks get stalled near a top corner.
They behave normally though, but they aren't supposed to stop there.

How come it doesn't a cute blip sound when you finish a line?

Great job Per Konradsson!!!
 John Paul Morrison                     |
 University of British Columbia, Canada |Coming soon on Disney Home Video:
 Electrical Engineering                 |
 jmorriso@ee.ubc.ca                     |
________________________________________|_________________________________

herman@corpane.uucp (Harry Herman) (04/18/91)

In <14908@life.ai.mit.edu> bson@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Jan Brittenson) writes:

>   All Tetrixen seem to rotate the same way, though. Sure as h*ll is
>counter-intuitive to rotate counter-clockwise. At least my brain
>resists it. Perhaps it was intentional, to make the original game a
>little more difficult?

>						-- Jan Brittenson
>						   bson@ai.mit.edu

Tengen's Tetris for the Nintendo rotates one way if you press the "A"
button and the other way if you press the "B" button.  My wife likes
being able to choose, while I find it easier to just use one button
to rotate, even if I have to press the same button three times.

				Harry Herman
				herman@ukma!corpane

s2499576%techst02.technion.ac.il@TAUNIVM.TAU.AC.IL (Yaniv Shaya) (04/18/91)

I didn't manage to use the ML tetris on my HP.
It was said somewhere that it is in Library format:
1) What doe's it mean ?
2) Doe's it need an expansion card to run ?
3) If not 2, then how can I run it on my HP (without expansion card) - Please
   Give me detailed information if possible.

Thanks.
~~~~~~~ Yaniv

akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) (04/19/91)

Well, I went into ML Tetris and it is definetely NOT a CHIP program, the
code is >ahem< "slightly" different.  However, even though the screen res
olutionof a CHIP program is less than the HP screen, I wonder if it is
possible to get the same resolution as the HP if you use a smaller
screen, i.e., the same number of pixels, just in a smaller area.  I
always thought that Chip could have promise if the Resolution could be
upped, but I never got any good docs on it.  SO, what does anybody think,
would it be possible to change the CHIP program (would it involve
changing the virtual chip machine?) to handle higher res. and does
anybody have any real docs on how the CHIP instructions?

HEXTRIS sounds fun, but I don't even have time to make a better ver. of
Tetris3.  Actually, a lot of the routines are a lot alike to Tetris.  The
pictures of the pieves would have to be changed, of course, but the
rotation, movement, and even the stacking could be done with virtually no
changes.  SOm eother toher things would have to be changed, of course,
especially the zig-zag lines (that could be a toughie)  All in all, it
don't seem incredibly evil.  Looks like fun, actually, does anyone know
if there is a copy out for any computers (IV
-gargh-any computers (IBM or Mac preferably) which I could take a look
at?  I would like to take a crack at it, after my finals.
     ---Falco

khbsnsr@nmt.edu (Sven of the North) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr18.102541.7297@corpane.uucp> herman@corpane.uucp (Harry Herman) writes:
>In <14908@life.ai.mit.edu> bson@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Jan Brittenson) writes:
>
>>   All Tetrixen seem to rotate the same way, though. Sure as h*ll is
>>counter-intuitive to rotate counter-clockwise. At least my brain
>>resists it. Perhaps it was intentional, to make the original game a
>>little more difficult?
>
>>						-- Jan Brittenson
>>						   bson@ai.mit.edu
>
>Tengen's Tetris for the Nintendo rotates one way if you press the "A"
>button and the other way if you press the "B" button.  My wife likes
>being able to choose, while I find it easier to just use one button
>to rotate, even if I have to press the same button three times.
>

>				Harry Herman
>				herman@ukma!corpane

I finally figured out my main problem with the key arrangement.  I am used
to the gameboy, on which the controlls are layed out exactly opposite from
the new tetris.  This is troublesome.  I'm used to controlling the movement
with my left thumb, and the rotation with my right.  That's the real problem
I have with it.

|  _   ,                __                     _  _  |  "It's green . . ."    |
| ' ) /                /  )                   // //  |       Mr. Scott        |
|  /-<   _  ____      /--<  __  . . ____  _  // //   |                        |
| /   ) </_/ / <_    /___/_/ (_(_/_/ / <_</_</_</_   |   Loooove that .sig    |
|          <khbsnsr@jupiter.nmt.edu>                 |                        |

johnt@meaddata.com (John Townsend) (04/20/91)

I've been informed that the Hextris pieces that I posted earlier:

>   *    *   *    *     *    *   *    *     *   **                  *
>   *    *   *     *   *    *     *   **   **   **    and the       *
>   *    *   *    *     *   *     *   *     *        nefarious     * *
>   *   *     *    *   *     *   *

were slightly in error.  The 6th and 7th ones are actually the same piece
rotated pi radians (180 degrees, 200 grads, 64800_arcs, etc.).  There are
actually ten different pieces, and their new, improved, bandwidth-wasting
graphical representations are:

    __      __    __     __                __             __          __
   /  \    /  \  /  \   /  \__          __/  \      __   /  \__      /  \
   \__/    \__/  \__/   \__/  \        /  \__/   __/  \  \__/  \     \__/
   /  \    /  \  /  \      \__/        \__/     /  \__/  /  \__/   __/  \
   \__/    \__/  \__/      /  \__    __/  \     \__/     \__/     /  \__/
   /  \  __/  \  /  \__    \__/  \  /  \__/     /  \__   /  \     \__/  \
   \__/ /  \__/  \__/  \      \__/  \__/        \__/  \  \__/        \__/
   /  \ \__/        \__/                           \__/
   \__/
    __            __
   /  \__        /  \
   \__/  \       \__/
   /  \__/     __/  \__
   \__/  \    /  \__/  \
      \__/    \__/  \__/

The border of the playing area looks sorta like this, but taller (spawn a
little mental animation subprocess and imagine the pieces falling):

                 __                              /  \
                /  \            __               \__/
                \__/         __/  \__            /  \
                /  \        /  \__/  \           \__/
                \__/        \__/  \__/           /  \
                /  \        /  \   __            \__/
                \__/        \__/  /  \__    __   /  \
                /  \            __\__/  \__/  \  \__/
                \__/           /  \  \__/  \__/  /  \
                /  \           \__/     \__/     \__/
                \__/         __/  \__            /  \
                /  \        /  \__/  \           \__/
                \__/        \__/  \__/           /  \
                /  \__    __    __    __    __   \__/
                \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \
                   \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/
                      \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/

My apologies to those of you who don't have 80-column displays or don't have a
backslash (\) character in your character set.

Hope my previous post didn't inconvenience anyone.  Surely someone will have
this written by the end of the weekend...   ;-)

--

RJW0180%TNTECH.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (04/24/91)

> In a posting of [15 Apr 91 06:15:48 GMT]
>    frechett@spot.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) writes:
>
> > If the keys were in some resonable layout the fact that it also
> > rotates the pieced the wrong direction might not bug me as much.. ;)
>
>   All Tetrixen seem to rotate the same way, though. Sure as h*ll is
> counter-intuitive to rotate counter-clockwise. At least my brain
> resists it. Perhaps it was intentional, to make the original game a
> little more difficult?
>
>                                               -- Jan Brittenson
>                                                  bson@ai.mit.edu

Why does everyone keep saying this?  The '4' key rotates the piece one way,
and the left-shift key rotates it the other!

-Randy Weems
RJW0180@TNTECH

jmorriso@ee.ubc.ca (John Paul Morrison) (04/24/91)

Hextris looks interesting, but let me suggest  something a little more different:

how about a tetris with 5 fold symmettry?? I think you need only two pieces (parallograms)
with angles involving 36 and 72 degrees (ie the golden mean is in there somewhere).
Tetris is just a tesselation problem, so this five-fold tetris could be very interesting,
especially since there is no general algorithm (so they say).

yah, we could call it Pentris (Penrosetris?)
 John Paul Morrison                     |
 University of British Columbia, Canada |Coming soon on Disney Home Video:
 Electrical Engineering                 |
                                        |       "American Psycho"
 jmorriso@ee.ubc.ca                     |
________________________________________|_________________________________

blooms@guille.ece.orst.edu (Scott A. Bloom) (04/25/91)

	or

	2) The files themselves.

			Thanks in advance,
			Scott

--
/------------------------------------------------------------------------/
/ Scott Bloom                     / blooms@guille.ece.orst.edu           /

johnt@meaddata.com (John Townsend) (04/26/91)

In article <1627@fs1.ee.ubc.ca>, jmorriso@ee.ubc.ca (John Paul Morrison) writes:
|> Hextris looks interesting, but let me suggest  something a little more different:
|>
|> how about a tetris with 5 fold symmettry?? I think you need only two pieces (parallograms)
|> with angles involving 36 and 72 degrees (ie the golden mean is in there somewhere).
|> Tetris is just a tesselation problem, so this five-fold tetris could be very interesting,
|> especially since there is no general algorithm (so they say).
|>
|> yah, we could call it Pentris (Penrosetris?)

Surely you jest. :-)

Seriously, has anyone seen the three-dimensional Tetris?  I believe I saw an
arcade video game of this once.  Each piece was composed of four CUBES and
fell into a rectangular-prismic play area.  Rotation was possible around three
axes, and translation was over a plane instead of just right and left.  The
player had to fill in a whole plane, rather than just a line.

I think I'll have to pass on the three-dimensional Penro-hextris...

--

bqt@cia.docs.uu.se (Johnny Billquist) (04/27/91)

In <4017@meaddata.meaddata.com> johnt@meaddata.com (John Townsend) writes:
>  There are
>actually ten different pieces, and their new, improved, bandwidth-wasting
>graphical representations are:

[some pieces deleted...]
>  __          __
> /  \__      /  \
> \__/  \     \__/
> /  \__/   __/  \
> \__/     /  \__/
> /  \     \__/  \
> \__/        \__/

These should be (as many might suspect...)

  __          __
 /  \__    __/  \
 \__/  \  /  \__/
 /  \__/  \__/  \
 \__/        \__/
 /  \        /  \
 \__/        \__/

[more stuff deleted...]

The border was drawn a little wrong.
It was drawn like this:

>                \__/                             /  \
>                /  \__    __    __    __    __   \__/
>                \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \
>                   \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/
>                      \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/

It should be looking like this in the bottom:

                 \__/                                \__/
                 /  \__    __    __    __    __    __/  \
                 \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/
                    \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/
                       \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/

Also, it should probably be a few rows wider...

	Johnny

akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) (04/27/91)

Well, I tried Welltris on my Mac, I had it for a while, but I didn't like
it as much as Tetris.  Welltris is basically the three dimensional
version of tetris which has more pieves which fall down a well into a
square bottom.  However, I didn't like it as much as Tetris.  I think
that the appeal of Tetris is ts simplicity, and making it more
complicated does not necessarily make it more fun. Personally, I think it
would be abetter idea to try something new, rather than continually
tryijg|
(sorry, my computer just turned itself off when I bumped the table
because my power cable was loose)
..trying to expand on Tetris (FIve-fold, Hextris, three -d, etc.)  So,
can anyone think of another cool game that can be theoritcally ported
over to the 48.  Of course, HP-95LX programmers have it easy, they can
essentiallly just d/l their IBM programs.
       ----Falco

dohm@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Peter J Dohm) (04/27/91)

how about berzerk???
is it possible??
it's surely a simple enough game, but that doesn't mean it's
acceptably easy to program.

Pete Dohm

| Peter J. Dohm	- Comp. Science Major |Consultant On: Magnus        |  www  |
| Unix, VMS, MS-DOS Consultant        |Operator/Consultant On: KCGL | |. .| |
| The Ohio State University           |dohm@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu| | ^ | |
| dohm@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu      |ak541@cleveland.freenet.edu  | | O | |
| dohm@hpuxa.acs.ohio-state.edu       |dohm@cis.ohio-state.edu      |  \_/  |

anon@rouge.usl.edu (Anonymous NNTP Posting) (04/27/91)

WELL, FALCO,....

How about QIX or KLAX or some other simple arcade game?

Also, do you know how the Nintendo Gameboy is set up?  Although the 48 surely couldn't match it, IT sure does manage some interesting YET simple games.( the gameboy, that is.)

Also, do the @<documentation> in posted posted programs screw things up?  I tried.
I tried to d/l the ml tetris, but all I got was garbage!

ph. (318)-231-4824

herman@corpane.uucp (Harry Herman) (04/28/91)

In <29983@rouge.usl.edu> anon@rouge.usl.edu (Anonymous NNTP Posting) writes:

>Also, do the @<documentation> in posted posted programs screw things up?  I tried.
>I tried to d/l the ml tetris, but all I got was garbage!

The KERMIT built into the HP48 assumes that anything between @ signs, or
between the @ sign and the end of the line are comments and ignores them.
For example:
	7345 @ this is a comment @ +
or:
	7345 @ this is a comment
	+
would cause onl the "7345" and the "+" to be compiled into the resulting
program in the HP48.  The KERMIT inside the HP48 would throw the rest away.

				Harry Herman
				herman@ukma!corpane

jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen NE Bos) (04/29/91)

herman@corpane.uucp (Harry Herman) writes:

>In <29983@rouge.usl.edu> anon@rouge.usl.edu (Anonymous NNTP Posting) writes:
>The KERMIT built into the HP48 assumes that anything between @ signs, or
>between the @ sign and the end of the line are comments and ignores them.

Almost right.  It is the ASCII convert routine (STR->) that does this.
You can even type
    5 @ blah blah
    3 +
and still get 8.

johnt@meaddata.com (John Townsend) (04/29/91)

In article <bqt.672699575@cia.docs.uu.se>, bqt@cia.docs.uu.se (Johnny Billquist) writes:
|> In <4017@meaddata.meaddata.com> johnt@meaddata.com (John Townsend) writes:
|> >  There are
|> >actually ten different pieces, and their new, improved, bandwidth-wasting
|> >graphical representations are:
|>
|> [some pieces deleted...]
|> >  __          __
|> > /  \__      /  \
|> > \__/  \     \__/
|> > /  \__/   __/  \
|> > \__/     /  \__/
|> > /  \     \__/  \
|> > \__/        \__/
|>
|> These should be (as many might suspect...)
|>
|>   __          __
|>  /  \__    __/  \
|>  \__/  \  /  \__/
|>  /  \__/  \__/  \
|>  \__/        \__/
|>  /  \        /  \
|>  \__/        \__/

You are correct here.  I noticed that shortly after posting it (as usual), but
didn't feel like following up on it, especially since I can't seem to get it
right!  Thanks for tying up this loose end!

You also wrote:

|> The border was drawn a little wrong.
|> It was drawn like this:
|>
|> >                \__/                             /  \
|> >                /  \__    __    __    __    __   \__/
|> >                \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \
|> >                   \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/
|> >                      \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/
|>
|> It should be looking like this in the bottom:
|>
|>                  \__/                                \__/
|>                  /  \__    __    __    __    __    __/  \
|>                  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/
|>                     \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/
|>                        \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/
|>
|> Also, it should probably be a few rows wider...

Here, however, I must disagree.  If there's one thing I remember about the
Hextris game (which I played under X-Windows on a Sun 3), it was that the two
lower corners of the play area were not symmetrical.  Also, every implementa-
tion of Tetris that I have seen to date has a play area ten blocks wide, not
eleven, as yours is.  I agree that it would be neater to have an odd number of
columns, however.

But what the heck?  Whoever writes this is entitled to a little artistic
license.

--
     John Townsend                 Internet:   johnt@meaddata.com
 c/o Mead Data Central             UUCP:       ...!uunet!meaddata!skibum!johnt
     P.O. Box 933                  Telephone:  (513) 865-7250
  Dayton, Ohio, 45401

akcs.edlin@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Ed Linderman) (05/17/91)

I haven't seen hextris for the 48... that sounds good!