[comp.sys.handhelds] Portfolio

doherty@vax1.tcd.ie (02/18/90)

I have been using a Portfolio from late Nov. 1989 until now.
It works and is quite robust. I did get some frights but never
actually lost data. The problems arose when the batteries were
nearing their end of life. Until I got very strict about turning
off screen display is unlikely to use machine and while I was
depending on the auto screen shut off, I found battery life very
short only two weeks. However when I changed to turning it off
when ASAP, I found battery life began to appproach the manufacturers
figure of about 6 weeks.
I found i used it and stopped using my filofax which I had been using for
two years at the time. I did find that jumping between the diary and
the editor and the address book, actions I did a lot, took a noticeable time
and long enough to slow me down at times. However dropping past items from
the diary helped a lot.
I did not get the file transfer to work and felt that this prevented me
from fully utilising the Portfolio.

Michael Doherty, computer Lab., O'Reilly Institute, University of Dublin,
Trinity College, Dublin 2.    Doherty@vax1.tcd.ie

mec@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (michael.e.connick) (02/23/90)

In article <5755.25de248b@vax1.tcd.ie> doherty@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
> Until I got very strict about turning
> off screen display is unlikely to use machine and while I was
> depending on the auto screen shut off, I found battery life very
> short only two weeks.

Wow, that seems VERY short. I use the Portfolio every single day,
including often using the Serial and Parallel Interfaces (both real
battery drainers) and have never gotten less than 20 days out of a set
of batteries. Most other Portfolio owners I've talked to get almost 2
months use out of their batteries.

> I did not get the file transfer to work and felt that this prevented me
> from fully utilising the Portfolio.

The Parallel Interface file transfer? Works like a charm for me. You
may have problem with your Parallel Interface unit, or perhaps with the
parallel port of your PC. Also there's now a PD terminal program for
the Portfolio that works very well with the Serial Interface and
supports XMODEM and ASCII file transfers. The program even has a simple
macro capability, yet takes less than 3K of memory!

Michael Connick    mec@mtfmi.ATT.COM    201-957-3057
AT&T Bell Labs     MT 3F-113	        (Dept. 79151)

mka@cs.odu.edu (Mark K Arquette) (02/24/90)

What I would like to know is where to get portfolio programs/files? I got an
update (TSR) for it that was put out by atari from the store I bought it from
but since then they (the store) have  disappeared.
Does anyone know of a bbs for the portfolio? Alternately is there any support
on Compuserve or on the net anywhere? Any info would be appreciated.

STRAUS@applelink.apple.com (Jim Straus) (02/27/90)

In article <11539@xanth.cs.odu.edu> mka@cs.odu.edu (Mark K Arquette)
writes:
> update (TSR) for it that was put out by atari from the store I bought it
from
> but since then they (the store) have  disappeared.
> Does anyone know of a bbs for the portfolio? Alternately is there any
support
> on Compuserve or on the net anywhere? Any info would be appreciated.

On Compuserve, GO ATARIPRO and there is a thread devoted to the Portfolio.
I believe there is also one on GEnie.

mec@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (michael.e.connick) (02/28/90)

In article <11539@xanth.cs.odu.edu> mka@cs.odu.edu (Mark K Arquette) writes:
> Does anyone know of a bbs for the portfolio? Alternately is there any support
> on Compuserve or on the net anywhere? Any info would be appreciated.

Yes, there's lots of programs available for the Portfolio in the Atari
SIG on Compuserve. In addtion, Atari runs a BBS that has Portfolio
files and a Portfolio message section. The number is (408) 745-2642.

Michael Connick    mec@mtfmi.ATT.COM    201-957-3057
AT&T Bell Labs     MT 3F-113	        (Dept. 79151)

slayden@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov (James B. Slayden) (07/07/90)

Where is the Newsnet group for Portfolio's? Is there and archive site
where some of the programs are? I could use some help.

					James B. Slayden
					slayden@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov

mec@cbnewsj.att.com (michael.e.connick) (07/09/90)

In article <7203@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> slayden@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov (James B. Slayden) writes:
> Where is the Newsnet group for Portfolio's? Is there and archive site
> where some of the programs are? I could use some help.

Postings about the Portfolio usually appear both here and in
comp.sys.laptops. I'm not aware of any FTP'able archive site for
Portfolio software. Atari does run a BBS that contains lots of programs
and information on the Portfolio. The phone number of the BBS is
(408) 745-2642.

Michael Connick    mec@mtfmi.ATT.COM    201-957-3057
AT&T Bell Labs     MT 3F-113	        (Dept. 79151)

stan@hprpcd.HP.COM (Stan Witherspoon) (07/11/90)

Also check out the Atari Portfolio Users Group on Compuserve (type
GO APORTFOLIO). I have downloaded several programs including a simple
communications program that supports Xmodem for use with the serial port.

Stan

~  Stan Witherspoon            ~      Disclaimer      ~
~  Systems Technology Division ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~  Hewlett Packard Company     ~ These are my         ~
~  8010 Foothills Blvd.        ~ personal opinions    ~
~  Roseville Ca. 95678         ~ and do not represent ~
~  Phone: (916) 785-5071       ~ the views of anyone  ~
~  RF: N6SCE                   ~ or anything else     ~
~  Email: ucbvax!hplabs!hprpcd!stan                   ~

johann@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Johann Schumann) (05/15/91)

Is there any program to change the settings of the display mode
(external 40*8 to 80*24) and the refresh mode of the portfolio?
(or, where are the corresponding system variables).

Thanks

Please reply via e-mail to:
johann@tumki.informatik.tu-muenchen.de

Johann Schumann               email: johann@tumki.informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Intellektik
TU-Muenchen

ardai@bass.bu.edu (Michael Ardai) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May15.114330.13473@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE> johann@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Johann Schumann) writes:
>Is there any program to change the settings of the display mode
>(external 40*8 to 80*24) and the refresh mode of the portfolio?
>(or, where are the corresponding system variables).

From the Pofo tech manual:
Int 61h Fn 0Eh: Get/Set screen mode
AH: 0Eh  AL=0 (set) AL=1 (get)  DL (new mode)
Returns: DL: mode (if AL=0), DL: New mode (if AL=1)

Mode:
00h 80x25
01h 40x8
02h Tracked
80h Graphics

Int 61h AH=12h Refresf screen (faster than Int 10h Fn 0) copies Video RAM
to LCD.

Int 61h AH=1Fh
AL=0 Get refresh rate  AL=1 Set refresh rate.  If AL=1, put new rate in DL
returns DX = current state (AL=0), Old state (AL=1)

DH: Refresh on NMI state  DL: Refresh on key state
DH/DL = 0: Revectoring disabled
DH/DL = 1: Revectoring enabled
If bit 7 of the state is set, state is unchanged.

Hope this helps.
/mike
--
\|/ Michael L. Ardai  N1IST    Teradyne EDA East