[comp.sys.handhelds] HP 97 manual/paper wanted

rpandey@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Rajeev Pandey) (05/16/91)

  So I am at this surplus sale at Oregon State University and they have an
  HP 97 (big brother to the 67, but with printer......not really a handheld),
  anyway, they have an HP 97 for $15!!!! No manuals, no assurance it works,
  no charger, nothing. I buy it anyway, thinking that these things sold for
  $750 in 1976.

  I managed to buy a charger for it for $20, brand new. Works perfectly.
  Now for a manual.

  Call HP Service, they refer me to HP Direct Marketing, who refer me to
  EduCalc, who tell me that they are out (and have been for some time :-).

  Does anyone out there have a manual they would like to sell/unload/lend/etc??

  Also, I need some thermal paper for it. No luck at EduCalc again.....any
  suggestions? I see lots of brands on the market, will any of them work?

  Lastly, anyone with HP 67/97 magcards willing to sell a few?

  DISCLAIMER: I'm just putting this HP back into working order for fun. I
  have a little yellow slip from the mailman that says my 48sx is at the
  post office......

--
Department of Computer Science    | Rajeev Pandey
Dearborn Hall 303                 |    Internet: rpandey@cs.orst.edu

HCLIMER%UTCVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Harold Climer) (05/18/91)

As far a cards go my HP41CV will read HP97 cards but I am not sure about the
if the other way aris also true.You might want to try it  though.

                                        Harold Climer
                                        Physics Department
                                        U. Tennessee at Chattanooga

bson@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Jan Brittenson) (05/19/91)

In a posting of [17 May 91 23:15:46 GMT]
   HCLIMER%UTCVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Harold Climer) writes:

 > As far a cards go my HP41CV will read HP97 cards but I am not sure
 > about the if the other way aris also true.You might want to try it
 > though.

   The HP-41 card reader recognized a 67/97 card and automatically
translated it to 41 code. Some of the 67/97 instructions didn't exist
in the standard 41, but were insteadimplemented in the card reader.
Like operations on the `I' register, which I think became card reader
XROMs that operated on register 25. Pretty neat.

(No clue as to whether 41 cards will work on 67/97s.)

						-- Jan Brittenson
						   bson@ai.mit.edu