[comp.sys.handhelds] spare parts for my HP28

jung@acsu.buffalo.edu (alexander w jung) (05/17/91)

Hi!
I have a problem finding somebody to sell (or give for free) a
spare part for my HP28: the battery cover
It broke when I unloaded my study bag to the street while going
downhill on my bike...
(Btw. this was the only damaged part at the calc at all after it
slid some 50 meters over the street, I was quick enough to
reinsert the batteries to prevent a memory lost)
Every dealer I asked told me that I would have to send in the
calc to get a replacement (two weeks without it -- no way).
So I ask here: is there anybody out there to give me the last
remaining part of his crunched old calc or is there a way to
actually buy one of these wonder plastic parts?

Alex

Alexander Jung (temporary at Buffalo, N.Y.)
jung@einstein.physics.buffalo.edu
Famous last words:
   1) "Don't worry, I can handle it."
   2) "You and what army?"
   3) "If you were as smart as you think you are, you wouldn't be
       a cop."

gnb@engr.ucf.edu (Glenn Boyer) (05/17/91)

In article <76870@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> jung@acsu.buffalo.edu (alexander w jung) writes:

>Hi!
>I have a problem finding somebody to sell (or give for free) a
>spare part for my HP28: the battery cover ............
>So I ask here: is there anybody out there to give me the last
>remaining part of his crunched old calc or is there a way to
>actually buy one of these wonder plastic parts?
>
>Alex

You should not have to buy such a part.  You can get these for free
from HP, I did.  The battery cover is a known defective part, because
it tends to chip on the corners.  I talked to a dealer here in
Orlando, and he said to call: 1-503-757-2000.  This is in Oregon and
they should be able to help you or direct you to another number or
branch of HP that can.  If this does not work, send me E-mail.

Glenn Boyer (gnb@engr.ucf.edu)

>Alexander Jung (temporary at Buffalo, N.Y.)
>jung@einstein.physics.buffalo.edu
>Famous last words:
>   1) "Don't worry, I can handle it."
>   2) "You and what army?"
>   3) "If you were as smart as you think you are, you wouldn't be
>       a cop."

6600htl@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (05/19/91)

My battery door was also broken, but I had it replaced for free by
the HP people. The sad fact is that the battery compartment grooves
began to chip away too. I'm holding it in, however, with a rubber
band looped about it three times.
	However, I do not think anyone would sell a battery door as a
spare part for the hp28s, as it is probably the only part you can take
off with the "greatest of ease" (except for the batteries).
	I've been able to connect huge D cell batteries because of this
misfortune however, so maybe it was a blessing in disguise.

...sorry about the hackneyed expressions

		Thao Luong

schram@news.colorado.edu (Steven Schram) (05/19/91)

jung@acsu.buffalo.edu (alexander w jung) writes:

>Hi!
>I have a problem finding somebody to sell (or give for free) a
>spare part for my HP28: the battery cover
>It broke when I unloaded my study bag to the street while going
>downhill on my bike...
>(Btw. this was the only damaged part at the calc at all after it
>slid some 50 meters over the street, I was quick enough to
>reinsert the batteries to prevent a memory lost)
>Every dealer I asked told me that I would have to send in the
>calc to get a replacement (two weeks without it -- no way).
>So I ask here: is there anybody out there to give me the last
>remaining part of his crunched old calc or is there a way to
>actually buy one of these wonder plastic parts?

Good luck finding a crunched one, you thought you gave yours a spill?  My
brother had his in his backpack while on his motorcycle on the highway at
60 mph.  You might have guessed, it fell out and not a crack to be found, and
not a flaw in its use!  Great story, I think.

--
Steven Schram -- schram@tramp.colorado.edu

-- Nietzsche is dead
        -God