[comp.sys.handhelds] Probability programs for the 48?

pashdown@javelin.sim.es.com (Pete Ashdown) (05/15/91)

I am slogging through a probability class right now.  So far, my 48 hasn't
been of much use.  I did get the programs for the 28 off of Wayne's server,
but documentation on how to use them is nonexistant.  Has anyone found their
48 to be useful in probability?  Anyone got any tips for this class from Hell?
--
   "I looked right, I looked left.  Nowhere to go but straight ahead.  There
   was no other choice.  I ripped out the AK-47 and blasted a clean path right

mathsoc@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Math Society) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.131342.23406@javelin.sim.es.com> pashdown@javelin.sim.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:

>I am slogging through a probability class right now.  So far, my 48 hasn't
>been of much use.  I did get the programs for the 28 off of Wayne's server,
>but documentation on how to use them is nonexistant.  Has anyone found their
>48 to be useful in probability?  Anyone got any tips for this class from Hell?
>--
>Pete Ashdown  pashdown@javelin.sim.es.com ...uunet!javelin.sim.es.com!pashdown

I'm all ears.  I'm also in a STATs class from hell. Some info on this
would certainly be appreciated for the 48sx.

--Dave.

grue@cs.uq.oz.au (Frobozz) (05/16/91)

In <1991May16.004901.21815@watserv1.waterloo.edu> mathsoc@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Math Society) writes:

>In article <1991May15.131342.23406@javelin.sim.es.com> pashdown@javelin.sim.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:
>>I am slogging through a probability class right now.  So far, my 48 hasn't
>>been of much use.  I did get the programs for the 28 off of Wayne's server,
>>but documentation on how to use them is nonexistant.  Has anyone found their
>>48 to be useful in probability?  Anyone got any tips for this class from Hell?

>I'm all ears.  I'm also in a STATs class from hell. Some info on this
>would certainly be appreciated for the 48sx.

What is this talk about stats from hell?  Stats is a really exciting subject
area, much more interesting than computer sciencec :-)

What exactly are you doing with probability?  If you are calculating
lots of integrals then the 48 will be heaps of use, after all probability
theory is really a form of measure theory.  If you are trying to solve
problems like: 'I have a bag with 37456 red balls and 9546 blue balls, how
many do I have to draw to have a .5 probability of getting a blue one?'
then the 48 isn't really much better than any other calculator (that
would be a probability question from hell ;-).  The 48 does have those really
useful functions that gives you percentage points from some of the standard
distributions and they can be a real help.  [ I wish some of the inverses were
also available without using solve ].

The 48 has some very useful stats functions, but I wouldn't call it a
good statistical calculator.  It has the best stats functions that I've
seen on a calculator.  I want to write a suite of decent statistics
routines for it, but am having trouble finding the time :-(  Does
anyone know if there are statistics applications coming out for the 48?
It would make a really nice tool for some exploritary data analysis style
stuff.

        						Pauli
seeya

Paul Dale               | Internet/CSnet:            grue@cs.uq.oz.au
Dept of Computer Science| Bitnet:       grue%cs.uq.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
Uni of Qld              | JANET:           grue%cs.uq.oz.au@uk.ac.ukc
Australia, 4072         | EAN:                          grue@cs.uq.oz
f4e6g4Qh4++             | JUNET:                     grue@cs.uq.oz.au
--

c_s244010117@stat.appstate.edu (05/17/91)

In article <1991May16.004901.21815@watserv1.waterloo.edu>, mathsoc@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Math Society) writes:
> In article <1991May15.131342.23406@javelin.sim.es.com> pashdown@javelin.sim.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:
>>
>>I am slogging through a probability class right now.  So far, my 48 hasn't
>>been of much use.  I did get the programs for the 28 off of Wayne's server,
>>but documentation on how to use them is nonexistant.  Has anyone found their
>>48 to be useful in probability?  Anyone got any tips for this class from Hell?
>>--
>>Pete Ashdown  pashdown@javelin.sim.es.com ...uunet!javelin.sim.es.com!pashdown
>
> I'm all ears.  I'm also in a STATs class from hell. Some info on this
> would certainly be appreciated for the 48sx.
>
> --Dave.

I just finished a probability class, and wrote a couple of short programs on my
28 (the would run fine on the 48) to do some of the distributions, (binomial,
geometric) but they are hardly good enough to post. I looked at the
programs from Waynes server, and they didnt' look too difficult to interpret. I
will play around with them and post some brief documentation on them.  Also,
when you get to the Normal distribution, try out the UPTN command - seems it
gives the probability above any point for a Normal distribution. I found out
about it about 2 hours after the exam!!!

jthornto@ee.ubc.ca (Johan Thornton) (05/17/91)

[... talk about statistics programs ...]

I wrote a set of ANOVA programs that shaved about 45 minutes off my
STAT final... I'll post 'em if people are interested...

--
Johan Thornton
(but my friends call me jthornto@ee.ubc.ca)

mathsoc@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Math Society) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May16.235909.826@stat.appstate.edu> c_s244010117@stat.appstate.edu writes:

>I just finished a probability class, and wrote a couple of short programs on my
>28 (the would run fine on the 48) to do some of the distributions, (binomial,
>geometric) but they are hardly good enough to post. I looked at the
>programs from Waynes server, and they didnt' look too difficult to interpret. I
>will play around with them and post some brief documentation on them.  Also,
>when you get to the Normal distribution, try out the UPTN command - seems it
>gives the probability above any point for a Normal distribution. I found out
>about it about 2 hours after the exam!!!

Thanks for the pointer.  I know Normal distributions are just around the
corner in this course.  I know I'd appreciate any docs on programs
available from Wayne.  As far as binomial, poissant, and geometric distributions
go, the formulas are pretty basic, and I can, "sigh", type them in myself.

As to my reference to my STATs class from hell, :-) well, I'm not bashing
STATs, and I know it's got it's purposes, but I'd rather take something
else, given a choice.

-- Dave.

HCLIMER%UTCVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Harold Climer) (05/18/91)

I don't have any help for you ,but I took Engineering Statistics last fall.
What a pain in** .Even though I am Physicist/Engineer I have been susp
suspicious of I. E's ever since I saw " Cheaper by The Dozen"

                                  Harold Climer
                                  Physics Department
                                  U. Tennessee at Chattanooga

cloos@acsu.buffalo.edu (James H. Cloos) (05/21/91)

I've got a small suite of prob routines that I expect to rewrite in RPL
soon.  Given the apparent interest, and my lack of a whole lot of time just
now, I'll post the userlang version as soon as I get it back onto the 48.

(I think my ram card ist kaput.  When I 1st got it, I would periodically
and w/o warning loose stuff; a new battery solved the problem.  Now, I'm
loosing lib's again.  After only 4 months or so....  Whether its a problem
internal to the card, or just bad contact I don't know (see the recent
discussion here wrt ram-card contacts).)

Give me a week or so to get a PC for an hour or two....

These are probably mostly of interest the game designers who want to use
sums of dice for random determination & need the probabilities of each
outcome, but I'm sure someone will find a different use for it.  (I don't
remember much from the prob course I audited a few years back (Hmmm, class
if sull, but stick around and see what happens, we always loose ~50% of the
initial students.  Or so I was told.  About 5% left, & I wasn't 1st in
line.)

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.		Phone:  +1 716 673-1250
cloos@ACSU.Buffalo.EDU		Snail:  PersonalZipCode:  14048-0772, USA