[comp.sys.handhelds] Nybble comparison of HP48SX roms A-E

tyg@tippy (05/17/91)

I placed some information regarding the various HP48 rom versions
at wuarchive.wustl.edu and wscotts server at seq.uncwil.edu.
The information consists of a list of the address of each nybble
that differs between versions and its value in each version.
There is also a short list of the areas where these tend to
cluster.  Finally, there are a few observation and a describtion
of the file format.

If anyone has access to the HP48S, I would love to know what
rom version it shows.  The comparisons cover HP48SX roms A-E,
if you have others, please let me know.

The machine where I have this account will be going away at
the end of the month.  My alternate address is:
     an973@cleveland.freenet.edu
The account listed with the rom comparison will not be valid
after this month is out.

--

akcs.joehorn@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Joseph K. Horn) (05/21/91)

"Tippy" (?) writes:

> If anyone has access to the HP48S, I would love to know what rom
> version it shows.

I was at EduCALC today, and played with a 48S.  It has an E rom.

Contrary to rumor, the case is a tad different from the SX; the port
cover is much shorter (just covering the I/O area), and is not
removable.  (Why did HP go to the expense of designing & making a new
case for the 48S, but not go all the way and make it thinner than the
SX?  The brochure for the 48S should boast "factory air"!)

Also, the HP logo in the upper left corner is just printed on, instead
of the removable/customizable plate used in the SX.  It's obvious that
HP plans on other companies buying SX's, putting their own logo plate
and software card and keyboard overlay in place, and selling it as
their own product.  Can't do that with the 48S.

For what it's worth, its "R"eset hole is under the righthand foot,
unlike my E version SX (SN 3047A00647) whose reset hole is on the
traditional left side.  Does country of manufacture have anything to do
with this?  As you can see in my serial number, my SX was made in USA.
The 48S I looked at today was made in Singapore.

--  Joseph K. Horn  --  Peripheral Vision, Ltd.  --