[comp.sys.handhelds] Digital Multimeter Front-End for HP48sx?

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (05/04/91)

Does anyone know of a simple DMM front-end for the HP48sx that permits
the measurement of R,L,C,V and I values for electronic components? A
device with an IR or wire interface would be real popular with EE's.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: netcom.com

asmith@acorn.co.uk (Andy Smith) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May4.133115.11892@netcom.COM> feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) writes:

>Does anyone know of a simple DMM front-end for the HP48sx that permits
>the measurement of R,L,C,V and I values for electronic components? A
>device with an IR or wire interface would be real popular with EE's.
>--

I don't know of a DMM front end for the 48, but I have been toying with the
idea of a logic probe with trace facilities, and after Wlodek showed me a
moving sequence of sine waves on his 48, I am also pondering the possibility
of a simple 'scope facility.

A logic probe should be easy, you only need a digital to serial converter
with protection for the serial interface, and a small piece of code that
samples and displays the readings. The external circuit could be hidden in
the probe.

A scope is a little more difficult but should be possible as is a DMM, I
will have a play with these as soon as I get a 48... Though I hope someone
else beats me to it, as these would be really useful:-)

Andy

hoford@redwood.circ.upenn.edu (John Hoford) (05/10/91)

In article <6910@acorn.co.uk> asmith@acorn.co.uk (Andy Smith) writes:
>In article <1991May4.133115.11892@netcom.COM> feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) writes:
>
>>Does anyone know of a simple DMM front-end for the HP48sx that permits
>>the measurement of R,L,C,V and I values for electronic components? A
>>device with an IR or wire interface would be real popular with EE's.
>>--
>
>I don't know of a DMM front end for the 48, but I have been toying with the
>idea of a logic probe with trace facilities, and after Wlodek showed me a
>moving sequence of sine waves on his 48, I am also pondering the possibility
>of a simple 'scope facility.

The with a probe with trace or a scope is the serial port cannot input
is not fast enough to read in the data in real time.

At 9600 baud only 9600 bytes can be read a second
Using an 8 bit digital to analog converter the max
frequency would be or 4.8 kHz.
This would be too slow for most applications.

A better solution would be a bord that used a slot
and had its own memory which it dumped the readings to.
The calculator could read the ram and
and display the images in real time.

Cost would probably be too high for me to buy.

John D. Hoford

gingell@aurs01.UUCP (Mike Gingell) (05/13/91)

Following the discussion on using the HP48 as a scope, it would
be possible, despite the fact that the RS232 is slow, if you use
the same technique as is used in sampling scopes. These are used
for examining very high frequency waveforms and rely on the fact
that most waveforms examined are periodic. You sample the waveform
once every n cycles delaying the sample point slightly each time
until you have capture a picture of a complete period. It requires
a fast sample and hold, and A/D plus some clever timing logic.

Mike Gingell, Alcatel, Raleigh, NC USA  (919) 850-6444
UUCP:       ...!mcnc!aurgate!aurfs1!gingell
Internet:   gingell%aurfs1%aurgate@mcnc.org

akcs.jwtrav@hpcvbbs.UUCP (John Wettroth) (05/19/91)

i may have a partial solution. i sell a gadget called the adcm-48 that
interfaces with the hp-48 over the ir link and offers 4 8 bit analog
inputs, 4 ttl/cmos digital inputs and 4 .5 amp digital outputs. it offers
a burst mode which allows reading the a/d 100 times a second for "scope"
type applications.  it is available from edu-calc now for $199. also a
little further up the thread john hoford stated that 9600 baud means 9600
bytes per second, actually that's bits per second. his argument is
correct but is high by a factor of 10! (480 samples/second is the nyquist
limted bandwidth).  check out the adcm-48, there is even a simple scope
program included on the disk that comes with the unit. good luck.

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (05/21/91)

What is the input impedance of the analog inputs? Have you thought
about building a 12 bit unit?
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: feustel@netcom.com  or feustel@cvax.ipfw.indiana.edu