[comp.sys.handhelds] Installing Libraries

gingell@aurs01.uucp (Mike Gingell) (05/21/91)

Many thanks to Joseph Horn, Tim Strong and others who replied to me
either on the net or by email on the subject of installing libraries.

I can now install and deinstall libraries successfully.  It seems my
problems were twofold - 1) I was lacking the description of exactly
how to do it and 2) many of my binary files were corrupted so even
when I did hit the right syntax the install didn't work and so I
thought I was doing something wrong when I wasn't.

I don't know yet where the fault lies but somewhere along the chain
from Wayne's mail server to the '48 my binary files are getting corrupted.
Text files are fine - if I get a uuencoded file to my PC I can decode
it there and the resulting binary file is OK.  However some files
are originally uuencoded in the original posting which is then
compressed and uuencoded again for mail downloads.

I receive the files on an Ultrix system by mon an  ASCII format, I
then uudecode, uncompress and at that point I find the binary
file size is usually wrong by a few bytes.  If everything is OK
I transfer the file to a PC by kermit (in binary mode) and from
another PC I again transfer to the IP48. After some testing I am
seriously beginning to think there is something wrong with the
local uncompress or uudecode algorithm. - Unless others are having
the same problems with binary files from W ayne and also thinking
its their problem because no one is complaining.

The moral of this story is be careful if you are transferring files
in binary. Watch the file sizes - if there is any discrepancy at all
you are in trouble. Try another method of getting the files.

Apropos of which: Is there a COMPRESS/UNCOMPRESS compatible utility
that will run on a PC?. If I could download the uuencoded compressed
file to my PC and uudecode and uncompress it there I think I could
avoid intermediate translations.

Thanks again guys.

Mike Gingell, Alcatel, Raleigh, NC USA  (919) 850-6444
UUCP:       ...!mcnc!aurgate!aurfs1!gingell
Internet:   gingell%aurfs1%aurgate@mcnc.org

ryee@hpuxa.acs.ohio-state.edu (Roger A. Yee) (05/23/91)

In article <59850@aurs01.UUCP> gingell@aurs01.uucp (Mike Gingell) writes:
>Many thanks to Joseph Horn, Tim Strong and others who replied to me
>either on the net or by email on the subject of installing libraries.
>
>I can now install and deinstall libraries successfully.  It seems my
>problems were twofold - 1) I was lacking the description of exactly
>how to do it and 2) many of my binary files were corrupted so even
>when I did hit the right syntax the install didn't work and so I
>thought I was doing something wrong when I wasn't.
>
>I don't know yet where the fault lies but somewhere along the chain
>from Wayne's mail server to the '48 my binary files are getting corrupted.
>Text files are fine - if I get a uuencoded file to my PC I can decode
>it there and the resulting binary file is OK.  However some files
>are originally uuencoded in the original posting which is then
>compressed and uuencoded again for mail downloads.
>
>I receive the files on an Ultrix system by mon an  ASCII format, I
>then uudecode, uncompress and at that point I find the binary
>file size is usually wrong by a few bytes.  If everything is OK
>I transfer the file to a PC by kermit (in binary mode) and from
>another PC I again transfer to the IP48. After some testing I am
>seriously beginning to think there is something wrong with the
>local uncompress or uudecode algorithm. - Unless others are having
>the same problems with binary files from W ayne and also thinking
>its their problem because no one is complaining.
>
>The moral of this story is be careful if you are transferring files
>in binary. Watch the file sizes - if there is any discrepancy at all
>you are in trouble. Try another method of getting the files.
>
>Apropos of which: Is there a COMPRESS/UNCOMPRESS compatible utility
>that will run on a PC?. If I could download the uuencoded compressed
>file to my PC and uudecode and uncompress it there I think I could
>avoid intermediate translations.
>
>Thanks again guys.
>
>Mike Gingell, Alcatel, Raleigh, NC USA  (919) 850-6444
>UUCP:       ...!mcnc!aurgate!aurfs1!gingell
>Internet:   gingell%aurfs1%aurgate@mcnc.org

Sorry to waste bandwith,

but Mike I cannot get a valid mail account.  If you would send me mail
I can send you uuencoded a tar and uncompress porgram fort the PC.

Roger

ryee@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu