[comp.sys.handhelds] To all Jousters

catto@vivaldi.ecn.purdue.edu (Erin S Catto) (05/22/91)

Anyone having too easy of a time with them buzzards?

	Well don't you worry...

		S-Joust v2.0 is coming soon to a CRT near you.

							Zoom->

bson@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Jan Brittenson) (05/22/91)

In a posting of [22 May 91 02:49:28 GMT]
   catto@vivaldi.ecn.purdue.edu (Erin S Catto) writes:

 > Anyone having too easy of a time with them buzzards?

   Well, I couldn't really figure out what it's about, or why your
submarine kills the other submarines when you hit them on the belly
side (as opposed to the periscope side). It doesn't take long to
figure out that if you just move back and forth at the top of the
display then they will never be able to touch your periscope and you
can just playing forever. Although the game doesn't seem to get past
level `B.' (which is 11, I guess it only has data for the first 10 and
so uses whatever happens to lie around in memory for 11 and up).

						-- Jan Brittenson
						   bson@ai.mit.edu

JMFITZGE@ccvm.sunysb.edu (John Fitzgerald) (05/23/91)

          Submarines?!? Periscopes?!? How old are you?!? Don't
    you remember good ol' Joust? Those are BUZZARDS with guys
    on top! Well, to the designer, good job. By the way, it works
    perfectly with the new Super8. u!9<K2NZry/?7{_{ \

gt6189b@prism.gatech.edu (Ted Rathkopf) (05/24/91)

Jan> can just playing forever. Although the game doesn't seem to get past
Jan> level `B.' (which is 11, I guess it only has data for the first 10 and
Jan> so uses whatever happens to lie around in memory for 11 and up).

Jan> 						-- Jan Brittenson
Jan> 						   bson@ai.mit.edu

I got to level E (true, level B took about 15 minutes).
BTW, there is a bug on level E.  one of the buzzards got stuck up along
the very top of the screen, and became "insubstantial".  The other
buzzard and I kept flying right through him.

--
Andrew T. Rathkopf
Internet:  gt6189b@prism.gatech.edu

  "We can't let Alvin run amuck in Dave's brain!"   - Theodore

mueller@schaefer.math.wisc.edu (Carl Mueller) (05/24/91)

In article <GT6189B.91May23133103@hydra.gatech.edu> gt6189b@prism.gatech.edu (Ted Rathkopf) writes:

>Jan> can just playing forever. Although the game doesn't seem to get past
>Jan> level `B.' (which is 11, I guess it only has data for the first 10 and
>Jan> so uses whatever happens to lie around in memory for 11 and up).
>
>Jan> 						-- Jan Brittenson
>Jan> 						   bson@ai.mit.edu
>
>I got to level E (true, level B took about 15 minutes).
>BTW, there is a bug on level E.  one of the buzzards got stuck up along
>the very top of the screen, and became "insubstantial".  The other
>buzzard and I kept flying right through him.
>
>--
>Andrew T. Rathkopf
>Internet:  gt6189b@prism.gatech.edu

I've managed to get past level E (and the bug) to level F and then to
level 0 ... and back to level 1 (where things slow down ... though there
still seem to be zillions of things per level).  There is a secret to getting
reasonably quickly through the levels.

Spoiler follows (I hope I used control-L correctly)
 Try to kill an opponent while
hovering at the top center of the screen.  Since all new opponents appear there,
they will simply fly into you and be killed.  It really speeds things up!

aaastrom@nike.calpoly.edu (Allen Aastrom) (05/24/91)

>can just playing forever. Although the game doesn't seem to get past
>level `B.' (which is 11, I guess it only has data for the first 10 and
>so uses whatever happens to lie around in memory for 11 and up).
>
>						-- Jan Brittenson
>						   bson@ai.mit.edu

 Well, I know that it at least gets up to level D. There's just a whole lot
of "buzzards" to pluck before it will advance past level B, and any levels
beyond that. However, the one time that I did advance to level D,it seemed liked
there was a bug in the program. There would be  "buzzards" (what are they really
supposed to be called anyway?) in the display that didn't move at all and that
I couldn't get rid of. They didn't seem to affect the game in any other way.
Has anyone else got this far and encountered the same thing?? Just wondering....

                                        Allen Aastrom
                                        aaastrom@nike.calpoly.edu