[comp.sys.handhelds] HP 48 System RPL: The Dawn Breaks

billw@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (William C Wickes) (05/15/91)

                        HP 48 System RPL Development

I am pleased to announce that HP will shortly be making available a set
of tools and documentation that will enable development of HP 48 applications
written in "system RPL," using IBM PC compatible computers as the
development platform.  The tools include an RPL compiler plus the supporting
Saturn assembler and loader.  The documentation includes a description
of the RPL language plus descriptions of the ~2000 supported (i.e.
frozen addresses) system objects.

This material will be provided on an unsupported basis, meaning that you
won't be able to call up Customer Support for help.  Developers who
want more formal support should register with Hewlett-Packard; the
only qualification is to be able to show that you are engaged in commercial
software development for the HP 48.

I am currently reviewing and revising the documentation, after which we
will publish the material.  I am making this preliminary announcement
mostly to let folks who have been struggling with home-brew tool development
and trying to understand the HP 48 internals that help is on the way within
a couple of weeks.  Distribution via the BBS is not practical because
of the ~1 Mbyte of files, but we will make it available on an ftp site
(registered developers will be mailed a disk).

akcs.kaufman@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Duane Kaufman) (05/15/91)

I was wondering if included in this package will be detailed information
on the Saturn processor instruction set? Such things as clock cyles and
condition flags set for operations could be released in the same
unsupported fashion. If not, might I ask for these things to be inclusded
at the ftp site of choice? Thanks in advance. Just a happy Saturn hacker.

                                                    Duane Kaufman

IMS103@psuvm.psu.edu (Ian Matthew Smith) (05/16/91)

billw@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (William C Wickes) writes:

> [Stuff about a program for the IBM to do Saturn development]

Question: Will there be a version for the Amiga?  Please?

 - Ian Smith <<ims103@psuvm.psu.edu>>

akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) (05/16/91)

Great, looks I'm going to have to get a PC emulator for my Mac after all.
 Any chance of HP coming out with mac versions of these programs?
Please, I'm on my knees, honest.

       --Falco

billw@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (William C Wickes) (05/16/91)

Re: HP 48 development tools for the Mac, etc.,  first we have to finish
the PC versions.  Then we'll think about making source code available
so that somebody can translate to other platforms.

Bill Wickes

APPLEREP@MTUS5.BITNET (05/16/91)

About that HP-48 RPL development tool:

PLEASE MAKE ONE FOR THE MAC!!!!!!

It doesn't have to be super pretty, or anything, just functional.  There are
many engineering students here at MTU that own both Macs and HP-48s.  I can
honestly say that a Mac developent environment would sell at least 10 copies
at our bookstore.  Especially since our Math department is heavily Mac and HP.

Tom Amberg
Apple Student Rep
Michigan Technological University

akcs.jrchaffer@hpcvbbs.UUCP (J. Richard Chaffer) (05/16/91)

duh....
whats a "ftp" site ?????
???

LEIF@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (05/16/91)

In article <91135.164727IMS103@psuvm.psu.edu>, IMS103@psuvm.psu.edu (Ian Matthew
Smith) says:

>billw@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (William C Wickes) writes:
>
>> [Stuff about a program for the IBM to do Saturn development]
>
>Question: Will there be a version for the Amiga?  Please?
>
> - Ian Smith <<ims103@psuvm.psu.edu>>

I second the request (on my knees begging now) for the Amiga version!

Leif Johnson                                  leif@slacvm.slac.stanford.edu

tt@euler.jyu.fi (Tapani Tarvainen) (05/16/91)

In article <25590163@hpcvra.cv.hp.com.> billw@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (William C Wickes) writes:

>Re: HP 48 development tools for the Mac, etc.,  first we have to finish
>the PC versions.  Then we'll think about making source code available
>so that somebody can translate to other platforms.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the 48 development work at HP
is done on HP9000 series machines.  Just in case the PC development tools
are actually just being ported from the 9000s:  I for one would like to
get the originals ...
If not, I hope someone will port them to hp-ux.  (I might even do it
myself, if I can find the time.)

Anyway, keep up the good work!
--
Tapani Tarvainen    (tarvaine@jyu.fi, tarvainen@finjyu.bitnet)

mueller@schaefer.math.wisc.edu (Carl Mueller) (05/16/91)

In article <91135.164727IMS103@psuvm.psu.edu> IMS103@psuvm.psu.edu (Ian Matthew Smith) writes:
>billw@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (William C Wickes) writes:
>
>> [Stuff about a program for the IBM to do Saturn development]
>
>Question: Will there be a version for the Amiga?  Please?
>
> - Ian Smith <<ims103@psuvm.psu.edu>>

I'd like to second that question.  I'm sure there are lots of us AMIGA
owners that would be interested in this product!

Carl Mueller (mueller@math.wisc.edu)

akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) (05/17/91)

>Re: HP 48 development tools for the Mac, etc.,  first we have to finish
>the PC versions.  Then we'll think about making source code available
>so that somebody can translate to other platforms.
>
>Bill Wickes

Thank you very much and I sure would be interested in making a Macintosh
version if I was given the source code.  Programming the mac interface is
not hard to do, the only tough part to a mac version of this software
would be to convert, or a better word would b modify the code to make it
work and work well with the macintosh.

    --Falco

chris@itc.univie.ac.at (Christian Forst) (05/17/91)

>In article <91135.164727IMS103@psuvm.psu.edu> IMS103@psuvm.psu.edu (Ian Matthew Smith) writes:
>>billw@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (William C Wickes) writes:
>>
>>> [Stuff about a program for the IBM to do Saturn development]
>>
>>Question: Will there be a version for the Amiga?  Please?

And one more question: Will there be a version for the Atari ST? even more please :)

			Christian

+---------------------------------------+------------------------------------+
| Christian Forst			| 				     |
|					| Phone: +43-1-43-61-41-70	     |
| gargl, wonz, bazong, zawapp, gurp,	| Fax:   +43-1-40-28-525	     |
| schwuppdi, bla, bingo, murx, boink,	| Email: chris@itc.univie.ac.at      |
| zappadong, hau wech, knurps, ...	|	 a8443gae@vm.univie.ac.at    |
|					|	 A8443GAE@AWIUNI11.BITNET    |
| No more comments on Disclaimers ...	|				     |
+---------------------------------------+------------------------------------+

slassini@convex.cl.msu.edu (lassini stefano) (05/18/91)

LEIF@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:

>In article <91135.164727IMS103@psuvm.psu.edu>, IMS103@psuvm.psu.edu (Ian Matthew
>Smith) says:
>>
>>billw@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (William C Wickes) writes:
>>
>>> [Stuff about a program for the IBM to do Saturn development]
>>
>>Question: Will there be a version for the Amiga?  Please?
>>
>> - Ian Smith <<ims103@psuvm.psu.edu>>

>I second the request (on my knees begging now) for the Amiga version!

>Leif Johnson                                  leif@slacvm.slac.stanford.edu
I'd Love to see an amiga version of this package too! I volunteer my
spare time [not much] to do the porting, if the folks at HP will be so
kind to supply a C source.

Stefano Lassini
slassini@convex.cl.msu.edu

jay@deepthot.cary.nc.us (Jay Denebeim) (05/19/91)

In article <2832f360:3101.9comp.sys.handhelds;1@hpcvbbs.UUCP> akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) writes:
>>Re: HP 48 development tools for the Mac, etc.,  first we have to finish
>>the PC versions.  Then we'll think about making source code available
>>so that somebody can translate to other platforms.
>>
>>Bill Wickes
>
>Thank you very much and I sure would be interested in making a Macintosh
>version if I was given the source code.  Programming the mac interface is
>not hard to do, the only tough part to a mac version of this software
>would be to convert, or a better word would b modify the code to make it
>work and work well with the macintosh.
>
>    --Falco

Put me in for an Amiga port

--

 |_o_o|\\
 |. o.| || The           Jay Denebeim
 | .  | ||  Software
 | o  | ||   Distillery
 |    |//        Address: UUCP:     mcnc.org!deepthot.uucp!jay
 ======                   Internet: jay@deepthot.cary.nc.us
                 BBS:(919)-460-7430      VOICE:(919)-460-6934

lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (a.k.a. Chri) (05/20/91)

LEIF@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:

>In article <91135.164727IMS103@psuvm.psu.edu>, IMS103@psuvm.psu.edu (Ian Matthew
>Smith) says:
>>
>>billw@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (William C Wickes) writes:
>>
>>> [Stuff about a program for the IBM to do Saturn development]
>>
>>Question: Will there be a version for the Amiga?  Please?
>>
>> - Ian Smith <<ims103@psuvm.psu.edu>>

>I second the request (on my knees begging now) for the Amiga version!

Maybe someone could volunteer to do a "port" of this for the Amiga.  I
was the person who did the port of USRLIB to the Amiga, and I am very
grateful to Mr. Wickes and H.P. Corvallis for this.  Whoever is
willing should ask Mr. Wickes about this possibility.  I *would*
volunteer myself, but I cannot this time because I am moving to Europe
in approx. 2 weeks and I have sold my Amiga ;-( So it is up to the
rest of you hp48sx/Amiga users out there to do this program!

						.oO Chris Oo.

--
Christopher Lishka 608-262-4485     It is not safe out here.  It is wonderous,
Wisconsin State Lab. of Hygiene     with treasures to satiate desires both

TEKNIKUM.MIKAEL-BERGKVIST@AIDA.CSD.UU.SE (Mikael_b@cmaja.uu.se) (05/24/91)

Yes please, a Mac version would be much appreciated
Mikael_b

'