[comp.sys.handhelds] Tools for non-Unix

akcs.tasmith@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Ted A Smith) (05/13/91)

Since there are probably others like me who access this group
with a PC and don't have access to a Unix style system and hence
might have problems dealing with uuencode'd files, shell
archives, tar'ed files, etc.  I thought that I'ld mention that
the MKS Toolkit (release 3.1) has most (if not all) of the Unix
tools you could want!  Using them I can consume all the files
I've seen in this group.

    Mortice Kern Systems Inc.
    35 King Street North
    Waterloo, Ontario  N2J 2W9
    Canada
    Tel:  (519) 844-2251
    FAX:  (519) 884-8861
    UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!inquiry
    CompuServe User ID:  73260,1043
    BIX User Name:  mks

I purchased my copy of the toolkit for $199 from:

    Programmer's Paradise
    1163 Shrewsbury Ave.
    Shrewsbury, NJ  07702
    Tel:  (800) 445-7899
    FAX:  (908) 389-9227
    International:  (908) 389-9228

Ted Smith

HCLIMER%UTCVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Harold Climer) (05/14/91)

I was wondering why the programs etc on this net couldn't be crunched   using
PKZIP ? As you said there are lots of people accessing this net using PC's that
operate under MS-DOS and not UNIX. Also $199.00 is a lot of money for a poor
undergraduate. I have uploaded HP48 programs obtained from the HP-BBS and
uploaded ZIP ed versions to local boards with no trouble.

                                          Harold Climer
                                          Physics Department
                                          U. Tennessee at Chattanooga

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (05/15/91)

In article <48F5A292A0001A3E@gacvx2.gac.edu> HCLIMER%UTCVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Harold Climer) writes:
>I was wondering why the programs etc on this net couldn't be crunched   using
>PKZIP ? As you said there are lots of people accessing this net using PC's that
>operate under MS-DOS and not UNIX. Also $199.00 is a lot of money for a poor
>undergraduate. I have uploaded HP48 programs obtained from the HP-BBS and
>uploaded ZIP ed versions to local boards with no trouble.

Unless am mistaken, ZIP only works on the PC.  This means that ZIP
archives cannot be accessed on other systems.  However, there are other
archivers like ZOO, ARC, and (less reliably) LZH that can be accessed on
Unix boxes, Atari ST's, etc., as well as PC's.  So let's use archivers
that we can all use.

What did you spend $199 for?  I missed that point.
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577

HCLIMER%UTCVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Harold Climer) (05/18/91)

The $199.00 was mentioned in the original article for a software package of
UNIX tools. I already have PKZIP and PKUNZIP that is why I mentioned it in
 inquiry. Also since the node at UTCVM does not have FTP direct ability
and I don't have the programs to uuencode and deuuencode programs and I do
have the above mentioned programs , I just thought I'd ask. Also it was my
impression that certain archived files    h .zoo and .tar were un-archivable
only under UNIX ,and I opertate under DOS 4.01.

                                      Harold Climer
                                      Physics Department
                                      University of Tennessee at Chattanoa

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (05/19/91)

In article <F5DB71E520003432@gacvx2.gac.edu> HCLIMER%UTCVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Harold Climer) writes:
>The $199.00 was mentioned in the original article for a software package of
>UNIX tools. I already have PKZIP and PKUNZIP that is why I mentioned it in
> inquiry. Also since the node at UTCVM does not have FTP direct ability
>and I don't have the programs to uuencode and deuuencode programs and I do
>have the above mentioned programs , I just thought I'd ask. Also it was my
>impression that certain archived files    h .zoo and .tar were un-archivable
>only under UNIX ,and I opertate under DOS 4.01.

I assume that Harold is referring to the MKS Toolkit (which is
excellent).  However, many of the standard Unix tools are available free.

PD versions of uuencode and uudecode are readily available.  ZOO and ARC
run under several operating systems (I use them on the PC and Atari TOS),
as does LZH (but I hear compatability complaints about this one).  As
for tar, I believe that there are PD versions.

By the way, a caution about the Unix compress.  MKS uncompress is 14
bits and cannot handle most Unix compressed files (which are usually 16
bits), but there are PD uncompress programs which do fine.  Why MKS
cannot do as well as freeware in this area baffles me.
--

fmgst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Filip Gieszczykiewicz) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May15.144037.9206@cs.dal.ca> silvert%biome@cs.dal.ca writes:

>Unless am mistaken, ZIP only works on the PC.  This means that ZIP
>archives cannot be accessed on other systems.  However, there are other
>archivers like ZOO, ARC, and (less reliably) LZH that can be accessed on
>Unix boxes, Atari ST's, etc., as well as PC's.  So let's use archivers
>that we can all use.

	Greetings. Not true. Not only do I have UNZIP under UNIX, I
	also have the source (I'll have to check if there are strings
	attached ;-) But, it _is_ possible.

	However, since so many on the net use UNIX, why not use the
	compress utility (generates a .Z file) I think I have an
	executable for MS-DOS that will uncompress a UNIX archive.

	By the way, there is also an utility to un-TAR a file :-)

>What did you spend $199 for?  I missed that point.

	So did I....
>--
>William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
>P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577
>UUCP=..!{uunet|watmath}!dalcs!biome!silvert
>BITNET=silvert%biome%dalcs@dalac	InterNet=silvert%biome@cs.dal.ca

	Take care.
"The Force will be with you, always." It _is_ with me and has been for 11 years
Filip Gieszczykiewicz  "... a Jedi does it with a mind trick... " ;-)
FMGST@PITTVMS  or  fmgst@unix.cis.pitt.edu "My ideas. ALL MINE!!"

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (05/24/91)

In article <131662@unix.cis.pitt.edu> fmgst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Filip Gieszczykiewicz) quotes me:
>>Unless am mistaken, ZIP only works on the PC.  This means that ZIP
>>archives cannot be accessed on other systems.
>	Greetings. Not true. Not only do I have UNZIP under UNIX, I
>	also have the source (I'll have to check if there are strings
>	attached ;-) But, it _is_ possible.

Right, I now have unzip running under Unix.  Also, there are several
versions of uncompress running around.