[comp.sys.handhelds] HP48 & HP28 in the handhelds/palmtops/laptops split

andreasa@solan.unit.no (Andreas Aursnes) (05/23/91)

What about the palmtops ?
-------------------------
  What isolating the HP discussions in separate groups concern,
                     the "where to discuss palmtops" has nothing to do with it!

  The palmtop discussion may :
  MOST LIKELY : continue in comp.sys.handhelds
  or in some new group
                      comp.sys.palmtops
                      comp.sys.handhelds.palmtops
                      comp.sys.laptops.palmtops
                       or something similar.

  Or the subject "palmtops" may turn out to be no more general than to
  concern th HP-95 only;
  then again a newsgroup comp.sys.handhelds.hp95 might be the solution.

But again: the "where to diskuss the palmtops"
                has nothing to do with the
               "where to discuss HP48 and HP28"   !!

WHY Make a SPLIT ?
==================
The objective of splitting a newsgroup,
should be to make it easy for people to get to the information they want,
without them having to use unnecessary (and valuable) time searching for it.

Possitive and Negative effects of a split:
The negative effects of a split (i.e. more newsgroups to handle)
does not by far compete with the possitive effects
( i.e. People especially interestend in HPcalculators, wil know
       where they probably will find something of interest.

       Even though most of the people reading about HP calculators probably
       will subscribe bouth groups,
       they will now know *when* they are reading *what kind* of HP material.

       Those who are not interested in HP calculators, do not
       have to read the HP-calkulator news to keep up in general handheld news.

The Naming of the newsgroups:
=============================

We should have the following newsgroups:

comp.sys.handhelds            -> general discussion (& source)
comp.sys.handhelds.hp48       -> discussion
comp.sys.handhelds.hp48.src   -> HP48source
comp.sys.handhelds.hp28       -> discussion & HP28source

   The HP28 discussion & source newsgroup
   --------------------------------------
   Since the HP28 generally does not have any way to transfere
   data externally, the number of source postings among the
   discussion, will not become annoying;
   consequently one newsgroup : comp.sys.handhelds.hp28  is enough.

   The hp48.src newsgroup

    -  The ones that do not know what kind of gadget HPnn is, is
       given a quite informative clue, by the "handhelds" part,

    -  While the ones that spesificly search for news about the HP48sx,
       that they just laid their hands on, wil easily find their way too.

       (this is an argument agains comp.sys.hp48)

Repeat:
*******

HCLIMER%UTCVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Harold Climer) (05/25/91)

On Thu, 23 May 1991 21:23 CST you said:
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.handhelds
>Subject: HP48 & HP28 in the handhelds/palmtops/laptops split
>From: andreasa@solan.unit.no (Andreas Aursnes)
>Date: 23 May 91 02:33:04 GMT
>Sender: news@ugle.unit.no
>

>WHY Make a SPLIT ?
>==================
>The objective of splitting a newsgroup,
>should be to make it easy for people to get to the information they want,
>without them having to use unnecessary (and valuable) time searching for it.
>

>Possitive and Negative effects of a split:
>The negative effects of a split (i.e. more newsgroups to handle)
>does not by far compete with the possitive effects
>( i.e. People especially interestend in HPcalculators, wil know
>       where they probably will find something of interest.
>
>       Even though most of the people reading about HP calculators probably
>       will subscribe bouth groups,
>       they will now know *when* they are reading *what kind* of HP material.
>
>       Those who are not interested in HP calculators, do not
>       have to read the HP-calkulator news to keep up in general handheld news.
>

>The Naming of the newsgroups:
>=============================
>
>We should have the following newsgroups:
>
>comp.sys.handhelds            -> general discussion (& source)
>comp.sys.handhelds.hp48       -> discussion
>comp.sys.handhelds.hp48.src   -> HP48source
>comp.sys.handhelds.hp28       -> discussion & HP28source
>

>   The HP28 discussion & source newsgroup
>   --------------------------------------
>   Since the HP28 generally does not have any way to transfere
>   data externally, the number of source postings among the
>   discussion, will not become annoying;
>   consequently one newsgroup : comp.sys.handhelds.hp28  is enough.
>

>   The hp48.src newsgroup
>
>    -  The ones that do not know what kind of gadget HPnn is, is
>       given a quite informative clue, by the "handhelds" part,
>
>    -  While the ones that spesificly search for news about the HP48sx,
>       that they just laid their hands on, wil easily find their way too.
>
>       (this is an argument agains comp.sys.hp48)

      This is the best suggestion I've seen in three weeks.Although it does not
 include the HP41,I could live with it. Also if the traffic is not too heavy,
 because the HP95 is now in the general or a palmtops group I could subscribe
to the two 48 groups and the 28 group as well and not fill up my alloted mailer
 disk space.

                                          Harold Climer
                                          Physics Department
                                          U. Tennessee at Chattanooga