[comp.sys.handhelds] Mac software for HP-48 interfacing.

steve@hwsw.gedas.de (Stefan Mueller) (05/27/91)

In article <264@hsvaic.boeing.com> scott@hsvaic.boeing.com writes:
>What software (other than Kermit which I can get free) is on  the Mac
>interface disk for the HP48?
>
>Is it worth the $$ you paid for it?

Well, you get a little Mac-Application that converts GROB's to Mac-Picts
and the other way round.

You also get a few HP48-Programs, I guess they come with every Interface
Kit.

Is it worth the price? Not really (the extra software)
But since this or any other Interface Kit seems to be the only reasonable
way to backup your software and data (and get software from ftp-sites),
everybody should have one.

Steve.

steve@hwsw.gedas.de

mathsoc@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Math Society) (05/27/91)

In article <916@hwsw.gedas.de> steve@hwsw.gedas.de (Stefan Mueller) writes:
>In article <264@hsvaic.boeing.com> scott@hsvaic.boeing.com writes:
>>What software (other than Kermit which I can get free) is on  the Mac
>>interface disk for the HP48?
>>
>>Is it worth the $$ you paid for it?
>
>Is it worth the price? Not really (the extra software)
>But since this or any other Interface Kit seems to be the only reasonable
>way to backup your software and data (and get software from ftp-sites),
>everybody should have one.

Don't bother unless you've got money to throw around. Go build your own
cable.  It only takes at most a half hour.  I just split a mac cable and
crimped the wires onto some pins.  Works great.

Why pay HP's $50 price for the cable alone, or the $80 for the Interface
Kit.  I know HP should make a profit on their products, but lets be
reasonable.

--Dave.

woodhams@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Michael Woodhams) (05/28/91)

In article <916@hwsw.gedas.de> steve@hwsw.gedas.de (Stefan Mueller) writes:
>You also get a few HP48-Programs, I guess they come with every Interface
>Kit.

No, with the cable only kit you get the cable, the whole cable, and
nothing but the cable (and a plastic bag and folded piece of cardboard
as packaging.) (At least, this was the case with the 48 to PC cable.)