[comp.sys.handhelds] Palmtop keyboard

smithj@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Jeremy Smith) (05/28/91)

cook@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Steve Cook) writes:
> What if...?  The 95 or its successor had a simple plug-in port for a
> "standard" keyboard which locked out the built-in keyboard.

      How about an RS232 keyboard?  A device 9" x 4" x 1" could contain a
full sized qwerty keyboard of five rows of keys a full 3/4" from center
to center.  Could it/need it be battery powered?  With software drivers
it could be used with the 95, 48, and all the others {poqet, AgendA,
wizard, boss, Portfolio}.  It should cost less than $100, and would be a
less than $20 item if it were already in mass production.  It would be a
briefcase (fanny pack, purse) peripheral, plugged in whenever text
needed to be typed in.

      I actually looked around to see if such a thing already existed.
Genovation (714) 833-3355 does make a $99.95 RS232/keyboard interface
which conceivably allows you to use your regular IBClone keyboard with
your RS232 port bearing handheld computer.

      Does anyone know of the existence of such a keyboard?  Would you be
interested in such a thing?  How much would you pay for one ($50, $100,
$150, $200...)?  Let me know by email and I'll post anything of
significance.

smithj@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Jeremy |-) Smith)