[comp.sys.handhelds] RESET Button Was

frechett@spot.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) (05/13/91)

In article <BD3E1CE8C000083D@gacvx2.gac.edu> TDSTRONG%MTUS5.cts.mtu.edu@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:
>fine however when run the machine entirely locked up.  Even pulling the
>batteries and the dreaded ON-A-F failed to work.  The last resort was the
>RESET Button and that worked.
Will comment on this sorry state of affairs in a moment.

>Even odder yet was that when I reloaded in my archived memory I tried to
>used PGDIR to remove SUNCLK directory and the machine locked again!!!
It sounds as though that directory was corrupt even before your last
backup. I have had this happen.. I suspect that an early version of Tetris
ran off the screen and into memory and corrupted some segment of memory.
When I went into a certain directory, I started going through it with
NXT. At some point, I saw an object repeated... and then every screen after
that contained only copies of that object.
1. It could not be purged.
2. The directory could not be purged as it contained the offending object.
3. The end of that directory could not be found.. It was as though
that object had killed the end marker for the objects in that directory.
4.  The RESET button brought it out of its coma every time (more later)
5. The corruption was in my last 6 backups. Have to be  careful of this.
So it most likely has nothing to do with the card which was in that calculator
as I have had no problems with my CMT 128K card at all.. I believe it to be
a superior card.

NOW, we are on the point of this message... I see this all the time...
someone posts.. "... it locked up the calculator.... ON-C didn't work ....
ON-A-F didn't work... pulling the batteries didn't work... and finally
I tried the reset button as a last resort and it worked.... "
WHY??? I don't understand why people use it as a last resort.  Let me let you
in on my observations.  In a given situation where your calculator is
locked up..

ON is how you realized that it was locked...

ON-C is a good first step.  It works about 10% of the time.

Now if you use ON-A-F as the next step, I have found that about 50% of the time
it will not work at all and the calulator will remain locked.
About 50% of the time it will take you to the "Try to recover memory?" screen
and if you press YES it will eat your memory anyway, and leave as most a
few bits of garbage in the HOME directory, OR it will just lock it up again.
If you press NO it will either leave nothing, OR it will lock up the
calculator again.  Really useful eh?

Then people pull the batteries for several hours.  This never seems to work.
I pulled my batteries for 5 hours once and when I put them back in, everything
was intact.  To expect the calculator to be better in less than a night with
the batteries out is unrealistic or at least not guaranteed to work.

This is the point where in a fit of frustration, everyone tries the reset
button.  It works.  I see these words of surprise from people, that
a hardware reset works when all the software resets don't.  This doesn't make
any sense at all.  It has always worked for me.  I have locked up my
calculator numerous times and this is my sequence of events and results.
ON-C 10% of the time, unlocks it.
reset button 100% of the time will unlock calc, 90% of the time that I use it
I lose absolutely NOTHING.  From what I can tell, it seems to be
reminicient of the ON <BACKSPACE> on the hp28s.  That would turn the
calculator off even if locked and when ON-<top middle button>  (don't have
my 28s handy) and ON-<top left>-<top-right>  didn't work.  When the calc was
turned of after that it was either fine or could be reset.

This appears to be what the hp48sx does.  Watch the calc when you hit the
reset button.  If the calc is on, it will turn it off.  If it is off then it
stays off. It seems to be a bit kinder than ON-A-F.  I say use it right
after ON-C.  What are other people's comments?

	ian

-=Runaway Daemon=-

akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) (05/14/91)

I agree completely with ian, the Reset button should not be used as a
last resort but as one of the first few things you do.  I see no point in
going through the ON key, the ON-C key, the ON-A-F key (which almost
always destroys your memory, even if it works at all), and then pulling
the batteries ut, losing all your memory, and having to wait for five
hours or so.  Finally, the persn uses the "last" resort, the reset
button, which takes a paper-clip, a hand, and a couple of seconds, and
leaves the memor intact and works 100% of the time.  Of course, by this
time, there is no memory left to save, after the ON-A-F's and batter
removals.  I have found that the Reset button works 100% of the time, and
is far more forgiving in terms of losing your memory than ON-A-F.  My
advice to everyone is to keep a paper-clip in your HP's case.  If I had
to choose between my paper-clip and my pocket manual, I'd choosemy
paper-clip.  Luckily, I've been used to carrying around paper-clips for a
long time now, since I used to have a Mac w/ those wonderful drives whcih
have no ejection buttons.

        --Falco

egraeler@uceng.UC.EDU (Eric S Graeler) (05/14/91)

Where is this reset button located.  I can't seem to find it.

					Eric Graeler
					egraeler@uceng.uc.edu

TDSTRONG%MTUS5.cts.mtu.edu@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Tim Strong) (05/14/91)

>NOW, we are on the point of this message... I see this all the time...
>someone posts.. "... it locked up the calculator.... ON-C didn't work ....
>ON-A-F didn't work... pulling the batteries didn't work... and finally
>I tried the reset button as a last resort and it worked.... "
>WHY??? I don't understand why people use it as a last resort.  Let me let you
>in on my observations.  In a given situation where your calculator is
>locked up........

Oh....I don't know. Just chalk it up as a case of stupidity.  Some of
us out here are pretty dense and ignore the easy way out   :-)

Translation:  I never thought of it that way and your right.

  ___
  I__)  _   _I  _   _   Tim Strong <TDSTRONG@MTUS5.cts.mtu.edu>
  I  \ (_I (_I (_I I    Michigan Tech.    Houghton, Michigan, U.S.A.

janl@ifi.uio.no (Jan Nicolai Langfeldt) (05/14/91)

In article <8444@uceng.UC.EDU>, egraeler@uceng.UC.EDU (Eric S Graeler) writes:

> Where is this reset button located.  I can't seem to find it.
>
> 					Eric Graeler
> 					egraeler@uceng.uc.edu

Under the right foot (calc face down). Remove foot and insert something. There
is a small R beside the hole (on my calc).

Nicolai, your friendly alaround amateur (bugs made while you wait!).

Nicolai Langfeldt, Internet: janl@ifi.uio.no
Quote: Life is too important to be taken seriously - Oscar Wilde
   (translated and retranslated)

HCLIMER%UTCVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Harold Climer) (05/14/91)

If this is a dumb question I am sorry, but I will ask it anyway. Where is
the reset button ? With exams going on and other thing to do I have been
but haven't had time to read it all yet. I have not had any of the problems
you describe YET but having locked up my computer from time to time I would
like to know how to do the same thing on my 48. I know how to clear memory.

                                            Harold Climer
                                            Physics Department
                                            U. Tennessee Chattanooga

TDSTRONG%MTUS5.cts.mtu.edu@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Tim Strong) (05/15/91)

>If this is a dumb question I am sorry, but I will ask it anyway. Where is
>the reset button ? With exams going on and other thing to do I have been
>but haven't had time to read it all yet. I have not had any of the problems
>you describe YET but having locked up my computer from time to time I would
>like to know how to do the same thing on my 48. I know how to clear memory.
>
>                                            Harold Climer
>                                            Physics Department
>                                            U. Tennessee Chattanooga

Under the upper left hand foot of your calculator there is a hole.  Put in
something like a paper clip and you get a hardware reset.

Incidentally on the version E's I heard the reset moved under the upper
right hand foot but I don't know for sure.

Also,  the feet on the calulator are not glued on so don't worry about
removing them.  Their held in by friction.  Although I wouldn't sit there
and repeatedly push them in and out they will probably stay on better than
glued ones.

  ___
  I__)  _   _I  _   _   Tim Strong <TDSTRONG@MTUS5.cts.mtu.edu>
  I  \ (_I (_I (_I I    Michigan Tech.    Houghton, Michigan, U.S.A.

akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) (05/15/91)

Regarding the position of the reset button.  Eric Graeler fist asked
where it was and Nicolai answered that it is in the right foot (calc face
down).  I'm afraid that the position depends on the calculator.  With
mine, the Reset button is located under th uper left foot with the calc.
held face down.  Pop the feet out and look for a little R beside the
hole.
    --Falco

sjthomas@cup.portal.com (Stephen J Thomas) (05/16/91)

My first 48 (rev A, made in Corvallis) had the RESET button under the upper
left rubber foot (when the calculator is flipped over).  My second 48
(rev E, made in Singapore) has the Reset hole under the upper right foot.
Perhaps the location of manufacture is significant.  If people want to send
me (via email) the location of manufacture and the location of the reset
hole, I'll summarize to the net.  Just sort of curious.

Send email to "sjthomas@cup.portal.com"    In the subject line, just
include two letters:  S or A for the location of manufacture (this is the
same letter in the middle of the serial number), and R or L -- to indicate
if the reset hole is in the upper Left or Right foothole, when the 48
is flipped over.  So the valid subject lines would include SR, SL, AR & AL.
I'll scan the subject lines and let you know.

Stephen J Thomas   sjthomas@cup.portal.com

stevev@greylady.uoregon.edu (Steve VanDevender) (05/17/91)

I have an American HP-48 rev. E with the reset button on the
right.  I think the position of the reset button depends on the
time the calculator was manufactured.  Your poll does neglect to
ask for the revision level or better the date code in the serial
number, which could even nail down the time that the Great Reset
Switch Switch occurred.
--
Steve VanDevender 	stevev@greylady.uoregon.edu
"Bipedalism--an unrecognized disease affecting over 99% of the population.

lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (a.k.a. Chri) (05/17/91)

janl@ifi.uio.no (Jan Nicolai Langfeldt) writes:
>In article <8444@uceng.UC.EDU>, egraeler@uceng.UC.EDU (Eric S Graeler) writes:
>>
>> Where is this reset button located.  I can't seem to find it.

>Under the right foot (calc face down). Remove foot and insert something. There
>is a small R beside the hole (on my calc).

This is only for some revisions of the hp48sx.  For other revisions
the reset button is under the top left foot.  In either case there
should be a small R beside the hole.

So, for those of you who have not yet discovered the reset button,
check under both top feet for the whole with the small R next to it.
Also, the feet are not glued on (at least, not on my Rev A and Rev E
machines), so you should be able to pop the feet off and then back in
with no trouble.

						.oO Chris Oo.
--
Christopher Lishka 608-262-4485     It is not safe out here.  It is wonderous,
Wisconsin State Lab. of Hygiene     with treasures to satiate desires both

akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) (05/18/91)

Another interesting thing I heard referring to the position of the reset
button on the 48 is that someone reported trading up to a E version.  ON
his old calculator, the Reset button was on the upper Left foothole, with
the letter R in the same place.  When he got the E version, although the
R letter was still in the upper left key, the Reset button had moved to
the upper right.  What's the deal?  Maybe it is the location of the
manufacturer, was Singapore an English colony?

         ---Falco

rkb@po.CWRU.Edu (Robert K. Brunner) (05/28/91)

In a previous article, akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) says:

>is far more forgiving in terms of losing your memory than ON-A-F.  My
>advice to everyone is to keep a paper-clip in your HP's case.  If I had
>to choose between my paper-clip and my pocket manual, I'd choosemy
>paper-clip.  Luckily, I've been used to carrying around paper-clips for a
>long time now, since I used to have a Mac w/ those wonderful drives whcih
>have no ejection buttons.
>
>        --Falco

But how do you get the foot out without damaging it.  I removed it
once, but if I continue with the method I used, (Applying the paper clip
to one end of the foot and prying up.) there would be little
left of the foot after a dozen or so reboots.

Robert Brunner

janl@ifi.uio.no (Jan Nicolai Langfeldt) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May27.215331.16492@usenet.ins.cwru.edu>, rkb@po.CWRU.Edu (Robert K. Brunner) writes:

> But how do you get the foot out without damaging it.  I removed it
> once, but if I continue with the method I used, (Applying the paper clip
> to one end of the foot and prying up.) there would be little
> left of the foot after a dozen or so reboots.
>
> Robert Brunner

T' isn't that dificult: Put tip of finger on high side (inside) of foot. Apply
force toward low side (outside) of foot. The rubber thingy (foot) will tip over
and out of holow. No damage at all.