[comp.sys.handhelds] 19BII, 95LX

fin@norge.unet.umn.edu (Craig A. Finseth) (05/29/91)

(I would like to apologize for interfering with the "how to split the
group" discussion.)

Differences betweeen the HP-19BII and the calculator mode of the HP-95LX.

Before I purchased my 95, one of the questions that I had was "is the
calculator a *real* 19BII?"  The answer is "yes, mostly."  This note
will itemize what is meant by "mostly."

Simple differences in the menu organization, and obvious physical
differences (keyboard, display, etc.) will not be mentioned.  This
list concetrates on functionality.

19BII menu		95LX notes

DISP	FIX All		Menu Options Format, adds Sci and Eng
	. ,		SETUP application

MODES	D/R		Menu Options
	BEEP		SETUP application
	PRNTR		SETUP application, only serial printers are supported
	INTL		SETUP application
	DEMO		--not available--
	ALG RPN		Menu Options

PRINTER	DISPL		Menu Print Stack
	LIST		1-2-3 application
	REGS		Menu Print Data, Menu Print Registers
	TIME		--not available--
	DBL		--not available--
	TRACE		--not available--

MATH	SINH COSH TANH	--not available--
	ASINH ACOSH ATANH --not available--

FIN	TVM AMRT TABLE	through 1-2-3 application
	CFLO		1-2-3 application
	BOND		1-2-3 application
	DEPRC		1-2-3 application

BUS	CURRX		different implementation
	UNITS		different implementation, missing temperature units

SUM			1 unnamed list, otherwise through 1-2-3 application

TIME	CALC		--not available--[*]
	APPT		APPT application
	ADJST		SETUP application
	SET		SETUP application

SOLVE (again, you get 1 unnamed sum list, otherwise through 1-2-3 application)
	SINH COSH TANH	--not available--
	ASINH ACOSH ATANH --not available--
	FLOW SIZEC #T	--not available--

TEXT			MEMO and PHONE applications

[*] The TIME CALC functions can be written using the solver as:

   {0=DDAYS(DATE1,DATE2,if(s(DAYS),1,if(s(x360D),3,2)))-if(s(DAYS),DAYS,
   if(s(x360D),x360D,x365D))+0*TODAY*l(TODAY,CDATE)}

Limits on use: (1) when solving for DATE1 or DATE2, the actual
calendar is always used and (2) you have to solve for something once
before TODAY is initialized.

In conclusion, the only material differences are:

	cash flows
	bond
	depreciation
	hyperbolics (yes, I wondered too.  wondered, that is, why the
		     19B and 19BII had these...)

Craig A. Finseth			fin@unet.umn.edu [CAF13]
University Networking Services		+1 612 624 3375 desk
University of Minnesota			+1 612 625 0006 problems
130 Lind Hall, 207 Church St SE		+1 612 626 1002 FAX
Minneapolis MN 55455-0134, U.S.A.

susanw@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (Susan Wechsler) (05/29/91)

>19BII menu		95LX notes
>
>FIN	TVM AMRT TABLE	through 1-2-3 application

>Craig A. Finseth			fin@unet.umn.edu [CAF13]

It was a little ambiguous from your table, so I wanted to point
out that the TVM and Amortization capability is available in
the Calculator application.  If you want to create an amortization
table, there is an easy way to direct the amortization information
into a 1-2-3 spreadsheet.

From your table, it could be assumed that TVM & AMRT are accessible
only through 1-2-3, which is NOT the case.

--Susan

everett@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (Everett Kaser) (05/30/91)

fin@norge.unet.umn.edu (Craig A. Finseth) writes...
>Differences betweeen the HP-19BII and the calculator mode of the HP-95LX.
>
>19BII menu		95LX notes
>
>DISP	FIX All		Menu Options Format, adds Sci and Eng
>	. ,		SETUP application
>
>MODES	D/R		Menu Options
>	BEEP		SETUP application
>	PRNTR		SETUP application, only serial printers are supported
>	INTL		SETUP application
>	DEMO		--not available--
>	ALG RPN		Menu Options
>
>PRINTER	DISPL		Menu Print Stack
>	LIST		1-2-3 application
>	REGS		Menu Print Data, Menu Print Registers
>	TIME		--not available--
>	DBL		--not available--
>	TRACE		--not available--
>
>MATH	SINH COSH TANH	--not available--
>	ASINH ACOSH ATANH --not available--
>
>FIN	TVM AMRT TABLE	through 1-2-3 application
>	CFLO		1-2-3 application
>	BOND		1-2-3 application
>	DEPRC		1-2-3 application

The HP 95LX *DOES* offer TVM amortization table.  The calculator application
can generate the TVM amortization and send the table to EITHER the printer or
to 1-2-3.  Also, the HP 95LX calculator has an added "adjust" menu that makes
it much easier to calculate adjustable rate mortgages.

Cash flows are available as a 1-2-3 template, as you mention.  Bonds, however,
are NOT included in the product, either as a part of the calculator or as a
1-2-3 template.  There are (expensive) add-ins available for 1-2-3 that handle
bond calculations, but HP has not tested these and does not support them.
Depreciation is not available as a 1-2-3 template, but 1-2-3 does have
@ functions for doing depreciation, so it's pretty easy to set it up.

>BUS	CURRX		different implementation
>	UNITS		different implementation, missing temperature units

The HP 95LX has a user-definable screen of currency conversions, where the
user supplies/edits the currency names and exchange rates.  This could, of
course, be used for setting up any type of conversion that is a simple linear
relationship, but not ones with an additive component (such as temperature).

>SUM			1 unnamed list, otherwise through 1-2-3 application

The HP 95LX list is limited to a maximum of 100 entries, whereas the 19BII
was limited by available memory, a maximum probably in the range of 700.

>TIME	CALC		--not available--[*]
>	APPT		APPT application
>	ADJST		SETUP application
>	SET		SETUP application
>
>SOLVE (again, you get 1 unnamed sum list, otherwise through 1-2-3 application)
>	SINH COSH TANH	--not available--
>	ASINH ACOSH ATANH --not available--
>	FLOW SIZEC #T	--not available--

Here, it's not clear what you mean by the "1 unnamed sum list".  The SOLVE
portion of the HP 95LX calculator allows you to have as many different files
of equations as you wish.  Each file can contain many more equations than the
19B could hold.  Other additions on the HP 95LX include:

  Backsolving of 1-2-3 spreadsheets.
  STO to spreadsheet cells, force re-calc, and RCL from spreadsheet cells.
  Equation graphing functions (similar, but not identical, to the HP 48's).
  Find function (for finding an equation; remember, the HP 95LX can support
     LONG lists of equations).
  Typing aides when entering/editing expressions.

>TEXT			MEMO and PHONE applications
>
>In conclusion, the only material differences are:
>
>	cash flows
>	bond
>	depreciation
>	hyperbolics (yes, I wondered too.  wondered, that is, why the
>		     19B and 19BII had these...)
>
>Craig A. Finseth			fin@unet.umn.edu [CAF13]

Other than that, a pretty good comparison of basic functions, Craig.  And the
reason why the 19 had hyperbolics: ?because they were there?...:-).

Everett Kaser                   Hewlett-Packard Company
...hplabs!hp-pcd!everett        work: (503) 750-3569   Corvallis, Oregon
everett%hpcvra@hplabs.hp.com    home: (503) 928-5259   Albany, Oregon

fin@norge.unet.umn.edu (Craig A. Finseth) (05/30/91)

In article <25590167@hpcvra.cv.hp.com.> susanw@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (Susan Wechsler) writes:
>>19BII menu		95LX notes

>>FIN	TVM AMRT TABLE	through 1-2-3 application

>It was a little ambiguous from your table, so I wanted to point
>out that the TVM and Amortization capability is available in
>the Calculator application.  If you want to create an amortization
>table, there is an easy way to direct the amortization information
>into a 1-2-3 spreadsheet.
>
>From your table, it could be assumed that TVM & AMRT are accessible
>only through 1-2-3, which is NOT the case.

You are correct: my summary was ambiguous.  I meant that the TABLE
menu under th AMRT menu under the TVM menu was implemented through a
1-2-3 application.

Craig

In article <25590168@hpcvra.cv.hp.com.> everett@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (Everett Kaser) writes:
>fin@norge.unet.umn.edu (Craig A. Finseth) writes...
>>FIN	TVM AMRT TABLE	through 1-2-3 application
>The HP 95LX *DOES* offer TVM amortization table.  The calculator application
>can generate the TVM amortization and send the table to EITHER the printer or
>to 1-2-3.  Also, the HP 95LX calculator has an added "adjust" menu that makes
>it much easier to calculate adjustable rate mortgages.

Agreed.  For the most part, I was avoiding mentioning things that the
95 did that the 19 does not.

>Cash flows are available as a 1-2-3 template, as you mention.  Bonds, however,
>are NOT included in the product, either as a part of the calculator or as a
>1-2-3 template.  There are (expensive) add-ins available for 1-2-3 that handle
>bond calculations, but HP has not tested these and does not support them.
>Depreciation is not available as a 1-2-3 template, but 1-2-3 does have
>@ functions for doing depreciation, so it's pretty easy to set it up.

I stand corrected.  I can always use my 12C to do these (:-).

>>SOLVE (again, you get 1 unnamed sum list, otherwise through 1-2-3 application)
>Here, it's not clear what you mean by the "1 unnamed sum list".  The SOLVE
>portion of the HP 95LX calculator allows you to have as many different files

The reference was to the solver functions that use sum lists.  The 95
doesn't do CFLO type lists at all.