[comp.sys.handhelds] Finding/Viewing 'hidden' files in HOME ?

gt5223b@prism.gatech.EDU (Doug Berkland) (05/29/91)

Is it possible to find out if there are any variables behind the
'hidden' dir in the HOME?  (The one accessed with # 5B15h SYSEVAL.)

This seems like a way for someone to screw you over, if finding this
out is not possible.  (i.e. putting a 20K or so file/string/etc. behind
the hidden directory.)

Emptying the contents of the 'hidden' HOME directory causes the same
effect as an ON-A-F on my REV. E.

Is there a SYSEVAL that will tell you this?  Any ideas?
--
Doug Berkland  Internet: gt5223b@hydra.gatech.edu   Phone: (404)676-9068
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta GA 30332  <Electrical Engineer>

gt5223b@prism.gatech.EDU (Doug Berkland) (06/02/91)

In an earlier article I wrote:

>Is it possible to find out if there are any variables behind the
>'hidden' dir in the HOME?  (The one accessed with # 5B15h SYSEVAL.)

>This seems like a way for someone to screw you over, if finding this
>out is not possible.  (i.e. putting a 20K or so file/string/etc. behind
>the hidden directory.)

>Emptying the contents of the 'hidden' HOME directory causes the same
>effect as an ON-A-F on my REV. E.

My curiousity got the best of me, and I did a little more experimenting.
The results:
  If you try to move the 'hidden' directory at all, the HP vomits.

  The effects are the same as a ON-A-F ... You are prompted asking if
  you want to try to recover memory:

   - If you select yes:
     -- any variables you have hidden become visible
     -- any empty directories disappear
     -- any libraries you had linked are unlinked
     -- all flags are set to default

   - If you select no:
     -- I assume memory is completely cleared...I haven't tried it.

So the great mystery is cleared up.  Cheers.