[comp.sys.handhelds] Serial Interface Upgrade

smbrush@lims05.lerc.nasa.gov (ANDREW BRUSH) (06/03/91)

I bought the HP #82208A serial interface kit for my HP-48, thinking
that it would contain something useful other than a cable.  Well,
since I had KERMIT already, I was pretty dissapointed.  Now HP is
offering to upgrade to the "Program Development Link" for $30.  I have
some questions for anyone who has upgraded:

1) Does the upgrade include the HP 48 Programmers Reference Manual in
paper form ?

2) Is the software useful, or is it another expensive copy of a PD
program?

3) Is there now any better development interface available PD?

I'd appreciate any info on this upgrade you have... Thanks in advance.

Andrew S. Brush             | SMBRUSH@EARTH.lerc.nasa.gov
Sverdrup Technology         | 2001 Aerospace Parkway
NASA LeRC Group             | Brook Park, OH 44142
"Opinions are Mine, Only"   | (216) 826-6770

wag@georwell.EBay.Sun.COM (Rick Wagoner) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun3.151926.8830@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> smbrush@lims05.lerc.nasa.gov writes:
>I bought the HP #82208A serial interface kit for my HP-48, thinking
>that it would contain something useful other than a cable.  Well,
>since I had KERMIT already, I was pretty dissapointed.  Now HP is
>offering to upgrade to the "Program Development Link" for $30.  I have
>some questions for anyone who has upgraded:
>
>1) Does the upgrade include the HP 48 Programmers Reference Manual in
>paper form ?

Yes it is included.

>2) Is the software useful, or is it another expensive copy of a PD
>program?

>3) Is there now any better development interface available PD?
>I'd appreciate any info on this upgrade you have... Thanks in advance.

I am unaware of any other program that offers the features of the PDL.
A while back, someone posted a note that HP was going to release an
official set of tools for the 48, but I have yet to see them.

Hope this helps..

Rick

rwagoner@sun.com <------ or whateverthehell the DNS server mangles my
addresinto...

thbaca@nmsu.edu (BACA) (06/04/91)

In article <6986@male.EBay.Sun.COM> wag@georwell.EBay.Sun.COM (Rick Wagoner) writes:
>In article <1991Jun3.151926.8830@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> smbrush@lims05.lerc.nasa.gov writes:
>>I bought the HP #82208A serial interface kit for my HP-48, thinking
>>that it would contain something useful other than a cable.  Well,
>>since I had KERMIT already, I was pretty dissapointed.  Now HP is
>>offering to upgrade to the "Program Development Link" for $30.  I have
>>some questions for anyone who has upgraded:
>>
>>1) Does the upgrade include the HP 48 Programmers Reference Manual in
>>paper form ?
>

>Yes it is included.

I purchased the Serial Interface Upgrade for $30.  The Programmers
Reference Manual was included in an on-line form, but not in paper
form.  I don't know if I just came out short on the deal, but it was
my understanding that a printed copy was NOT included in the upgrade.

Thomas Baca
NMSU

.

sjthomas@cup.portal.com (Stephen J Thomas) (06/04/91)

An earlier posting was in error:

No, the serial kit -> PDL UPGRADE does not contain the Programmer's
Reference Manual _in paper form_, but it is available online in PDL.

If you buy the complete PDL package (not the upgrade), then you do get
the printed Programmer's Reference Guide.

Stephen Thomas
sjthomas@cup.portal.com

herman@corpane.uucp (Harry Herman) (06/05/91)

In <6986@male.EBay.Sun.COM> wag@georwell.EBay.Sun.COM (Rick Wagoner) writes:

>In article <1991Jun3.151926.8830@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> smbrush@lims05.lerc.nasa.gov writes:
>>I bought the HP #82208A serial interface kit for my HP-48, thinking
>>that it would contain something useful other than a cable.  Well,
>>since I had KERMIT already, I was pretty dissapointed.  Now HP is
>>offering to upgrade to the "Program Development Link" for $30.  I have
>>some questions for anyone who has upgraded:
>>
>>1) Does the upgrade include the HP 48 Programmers Reference Manual in
>>paper form ?

>Yes it is included.

When I got my upgrade kit, it did NOT come with the manual.  The manual is
part of the HELP files though.  It is my understanding from postings I
saw previously that the upgrade does NOT come with the manual, but that
people who pay full price get the manual.

>>2) Is the software useful, or is it another expensive copy of a PD
>>program?

>>3) Is there now any better development interface available PD?
>>I'd appreciate any info on this upgrade you have... Thanks in advance.

>I am unaware of any other program that offers the features of the PDL.
>A while back, someone posted a note that HP was going to release an
>official set of tools for the 48, but I have yet to see them.

Same here, I have not seen anything else like it.

>Hope this helps..

>Rick

>rwagoner@sun.com <------ or whateverthehell the DNS server mangles my
>addresinto...