[comp.sys.handhelds] Packet length

das9674@rouge.usl.edu (Stephenson Daniel A) (06/07/91)

Hi!
When I download programs from UNIX tomy PC, packet lengths are about 1000 or so, but when I download then from my PC to my HP48SX, they are 94. Why?

Thanks,

grs999910117@stat.appstate.edu (06/07/91)

In article <32444@rouge.usl.edu>, das9674@rouge.usl.edu (Stephenson Daniel A) writes:
> Hi!
> When I download programs from UNIX tomy PC, packet lengths are about 1000 or
> so, but when I download then from my PC to my HP48SX, they are 94. Why?
>
> Thanks,

Kermit is a fairly versatile protocol - different versions can have such nice
features as long packets (what you are experiencing with your PC) and sliding
windows.  At the beginning of a download, the two Kermits exchange information
about the features they have and agree upon the most advanced features
available in both of them. Unfortunately the Kermit available in the 48SX only
supports regular size packets (as far as I know), so the advanced features of
your PC Kermit are not implemented. If you are interested in Kermit, there is
an excellent book written by Frank da Cruz called (of course) "Kermit",
available through EduCalc for about $27, or possibly at your local library.
Perhaps someone will eventually write a Kermit program that supports sliding
windows or long packets!

William

janl@ifi.uio.no (Jan Nicolai Langfeldt) (06/07/91)

In article <32444@rouge.usl.edu>, das9674@rouge.usl.edu (Stephenson Daniel A) writes:
> Hi!
> When I download programs from UNIX tomy PC, packet lengths are about 1000 or so, but when I download then from my PC to my HP48SX, they are 94. Why?
>
> Thanks,

As I recall: When a kermit file transfer starts, the kermits has a little
chat:

1: I can do packets of lenght x
2: And I can do packets of length y
1: (thinks to itself) We'll use min(x,y) then
2: -------------------"----------------------

This is because some machines/kermit implementations have a limit on how
many bytes they can recieve in rapid succession (or in one packet). This
also applies to hp48 kermit; The hp48 has a input buffer of 255 bytes on
incomming traffic. A packet length of 94 will allow ~2 packets in the
buffer at once, which is A-Good-Thing.

(please refer to the 'hp 48 i/o technical interfacing guide' for more
info on hp48 comm. (I have it in postscript format))

I _have_ looked for a packet langth command but with no luck! Maybe a
syseval??

Nicolai, your friendly alaround amateur (bugs made while you wait!).

Nicolai Langfeldt, Internet: janl@ifi.uio.no
Quote: Life is too important to be taken seriously - Oscar Wilde
   (translated and retranslated)