[comp.sys.handhelds] Wanted: HP-41 Barcode generating program

monty@cs.utk.edu (Stuart Monty) (05/29/91)

The equipment that I've got is as follows:
     HP-41CX   calculator
     HP 82242A infrared printer module
     HP 82153A barcode wand
     HP 82240A printer w/infrared interface

     RUSH SYSTEMS HOOKUP infrared interface

     IBM-PC compatable computer
     Epson FX-85 dot matrix printer

   Access to assorted laserjets and other printers.

The problem I've got is this, using the HOOKUP interface, I can get
the HP-41 programs into the computer, but what I want to do is generate
program barcode on my Epson printer.  I won't be doing it very often,
so if necessary, I can do the printing on a laserjet (I think I can even
get to a postscript printer if I need to).

HP barcode is different than any of the industry standards (UPC,3/9,etc.),
and the wand will not read anything but HP code.

If anyone out there has something that they think will do the job, or
any ideas on where they think I might find something, contact me at:

           monty@cs.utk.edu

Thanks in advance,

       Stu

HCLIMER%UTCVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Harold Climer) (05/30/91)

On Wed, 29 May 1991 15:23 CST you said:
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.handhelds
>Subject: Wanted: HP-41 Barcode generating program
>From: monty@cs.utk.edu (Stuart Monty)
>
>The equipment that I've got is as follows:
>     HP-41CX   calculator
>     HP 82242A infrared printer module
>     HP 82153A barcode wand
>     HP 82240A printer w/infrared interface
>
>     RUSH SYSTEMS HOOKUP infrared interface
>
>     IBM-PC compatable computer
>     Epson FX-85 dot matrix printer
>
>   Access to assorted laserjets and other printers.
>
>The problem I've got is this, using the HOOKUP interface, I can get
>the HP-41 programs into the computer, but what I want to do is generate
>program barcode on my Epson printer.  I won't be doing it very often,
>so if necessary, I can do the printing on a laserjet (I think I can even
>get to a postscript printer if I need to).
>

>HP barcode is different than any of the industry standards (UPC,3/9,etc.),
>and the wand will not read anything but HP code.
>
>If anyone out there has something that they think will do the job, or
>any ideas on where they think I might find something, contact me at:
>
>           monty@cs.utk.edu
>
>Thanks in advance,
>

>       Stu

       Are you trying to produce HP Bar code? If so HP made a printer that
printed it's own barcode of programs created on the 41. If you wish I will see
if I have a copy of the old catalog of 41/71 series products and give you the
stock number. Most likeky you will have to find someone willing to part with a
used one.
       If your are trying to print bar code of programs downloaded from your 41
to your PC and then print them out on your Epson compatible printer, I can give
 no help.

                                           Harold Climer
                                           Physics Department
                                           U. Tennessee at Chattanooga
                                           HClimer@UTCVM.BITNET

peraino@gmuvax.gmu.edu (06/05/91)

>Subject: Wanted: HP-41 Barcode generating program

>The problem I've got is this, using the HOOKUP interface, I can get
>the HP-41 programs into the computer, but what I want to do is generate
>program barcode on my Epson printer.  I won't be doing it very often,
>so if necessary, I can do the printing on a laserjet (I think I can even
>get to a postscript printer if I need to).

     I have seen a bar code generator for the 41. It reads the program
source. It knows all codes for x-functions, card reader, etc.; even games
module. It generate bar code for apple laser writer. Trouble is, it
runs under UNIX(tm) with Perlscript.

mike@drd.com (Mike Rovak) (06/06/91)

In article <F5EE84E0A0001081@gacvx2.gac.edu> peraino@gmuvax.gmu.edu writes:
>>Subject: Wanted: HP-41 Barcode generating program
>

>>The problem I've got is this, using the HOOKUP interface, I can get
>>the HP-41 programs into the computer, but what I want to do is generate
>>program barcode on my Epson printer.  I won't be doing it very often,
>>so if necessary, I can do the printing on a laserjet (I think I can even
>>get to a postscript printer if I need to).
>

>     I have seen a bar code generator for the 41. It reads the program
>source. It knows all codes for x-functions, card reader, etc.; even games
>module. It generate bar code for apple laser writer. Trouble is, it
>runs under UNIX(tm) with Perlscript.

I recall seeing *somewhere* years ago a program in BASIC which would
read an HP41 source file and then spit out the barcode on a PC-compatible
printer.  I'm sure that it was easily patched to match whatever printer
you are using.  I don't believe that it was a third party program, I think
that it was published by HP.

Suggest that you check with them.

If you fail to locate one of these options, then your only alternative is
to get the plotter module, the HP IL module, and the HPIL printer.  The
plotter module contains a routine to print bar code on the printer, or a
plotter such as the HP 7475.  These alternatives are expensive and probably
defeat the purpose of inexpensive bar code I/O.

Good luck.

Disclaimer: My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.
     mike@DRD.Com
     uunet!apctrc!drd!mike

sublette@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Michael J Sublette) (06/08/91)

For Sale:

   HP41CX (its a 24K Programmable Calculator)
      Still has original box and all manuals.

Includes:

  Math Pac which includes functions to do matrix operations,
           Numeric Intergrations, differentials, complex numbers,
           hyperbolics, Triangle Solutions, Coordinate Geomertry,
           Fourier Series, and Polynomial solutions/evaluations.

  Stat Pac which includes function to do basic statistics, Moments,
           Skewness, Kurtosis, Variance analysis, covarience analysis,
           curve fitting, multiple linear regression, polynomial
           regression, t statistics, Chi-square, contingency table,
           Spearman's Rank Correlation coefficient, and Normal and
           Inverse Normal Distribution.

  HP Overlay kit with 1 Blank overlay, 2 Math Pac overlays, and
           Stopwatch overlay.

Books:

  Programmers Reference Guide for HP-41, HP-67, HP-97

  User's Library Solutions Lend/Lease/Savings

  User's Library Solutions High Level math

  User's Library Solutions Mechanical Engineering

  $150 or best offer...

Contact:  Michael Sublette
          Young Grad House
          Purdue University