[comp.sys.handhelds] Portfolio Problem

harry@hparc0.HP.COM (Harry Page) (06/10/91)

My wife brought a Portfolio recently but when she went to use it
the other day the whole contents of memory had wiped themselves. The date was
still correct but the setup was also gone. Does this mean she has a bad one
or are Portfolios prone to this? She gets alot of use from it normally but
if it is going to do this on a regular basis we might as well get rid of it
and get a 95LX.

Cheers

keld@login.dkuug.dk (Keld J|rn Simonsen) (06/11/91)

harry@hparc0.HP.COM (Harry Page) writes:

>My wife brought a Portfolio recently but when she went to use it
>the other day the whole contents of memory had wiped themselves. The date was
>still correct but the setup was also gone. Does this mean she has a bad one
>or are Portfolios prone to this? She gets alot of use from it normally but
>if it is going to do this on a regular basis we might as well get rid of it
>and get a 95LX.

I have had the problem 3 times in 9 months. The first time was
when somebody took out the RAM card while the machine was on.
The other times I do not know what happened.

Atari has a warning with the machine I bought - that
one should avoid some special situation at the end
of a document. They may have corrected that error by now.

I think you can avoid the problem by handling the RAM card
carefully and do regular backups to a PC.

Keld Simonsen

BJGLEAS@auvm.american.edu (bj gleason) (06/11/91)

The best defense against memory loss it to save all your files on a
memory card in drive A: instead of C:  Most users then reduce C: to 8k
with the FDISK command, and it allows them to run larger programs.