[comp.sys.handhelds] A better Bode Plotter

gregg@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Theodore Gregg) (06/06/91)

\ Theodore W. Gregg        | The most endangered species- the honest man, /
\ MACC-Operations          | Will still survive annihilation.             /
\ 1210 W. Dayton St.       | Forming a world state of integrity,          /
\ Madison, WI 53715        | Sensistive, open, and strong.                /
\ gregg@macc.wisc.edu      |                                   (N. Peart) /

gregg@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Theodore Gregg) (06/06/91)

              INSTRUCTIONS FOR BODE PLOTTER
	First download and install the bode plot routines from
the earlier posting. Enter the BODE directory. You sould
see [BODED] [MAG] [ANG] [SMOO] in the first 4 menu entries.
An example has been preloaded so just press [MAG] to see
the magnitude plot for the tranfer function:
            H(s)=[50*(s*(1+s/10))]/[(1+s/10^4)*(1+s/10^7)]
Once the plot has completed use the arrow keys to move the
cursor around the screen. You can press [COORD] to get the
cursor coordinates. The X-coordinate is the frequency (rad/s)
in decades (e.g. x=1.5 => 10^1.5 rad/s). Tick marks are every
decade. The Y-coordinate is in decibels (e.g. y=20 => 20 dB).
Tick marks are every 20 dB. Now press [ON] to return to the
menu. Next press [ANG] to see the angle bode plot. The X-
coordinate is once again the frequency (rad/s)in decades (e.g.
x=1.5 => 10^1.5 rad/s). Tick marks are every decade. The Y-
coordinate is in degrees (e.g. y=20 => 20 degrees). Tick marks
are every 20 degrees. Press [ON] to return to the menu.

Now we will step through an example from the beginning.
Press [BODED]. A temporary menu is created and the calculator
is halted. The menu should now look like this:
[S] [EQN] [BD] [ED] [PPD] [CONT]
and if you press [NXT] you should see [ABORT]. You will now
enter the tranfer function:
      100*s/[(1+s/10)*(1+s/10^4)*(1+s/(2*10^4))]
Next store it into EQN (left shift [EQN]). After that specify a
beginning decade (0 left shift [BD]), ending decade (7 left shift
[ED]), and the points per decade (7 left shift [PPD]). The higher
PPD is, the longer the calculator will take, but a more accurate
plot will result. Now press [CONT]. If you had wished to cancel
the plot you could have pressed [NXT] [ABORT]. You will have to
wait for approx. 90 seconds for the calculator to finish its
computations. Once it is done you will hear 2 short beeps if BEEP
is enabled. As before press [MAG] to view the magnitude plot of a
band-pass filter and [ANG] to produce the angle plot. If you ever
press [ANG] and the plot is split in two (due the value returned
by the ARG function), then press [SMOO] to smooth out the plot and
press [ANG] again. Do not use [SMOO] unless the plot is split
otherwise the angle values taken from the plot will be incorrect.

CREDITS:
The bode plot routines were written entirely by Thedore W. Gregg and
are copyright 1991, EXCEPT for the SPLOT and GETC routines (originally
LPLOT and GETC) which were written first by Paul Dale and modified for
use in these programs. You have my permission to freely distribute and
use these routines for any non-profit or non-published purpose.

FOLLOWING IS PAUL DALE'S DISCLAIMER FOR LPLOT AND GETC:
As usual, this program is copyright myself, 1991 all rights
reserved but as usual, any non-profit usage of this program is ok
by me (if you want to include it in your commercial software or
publish it in a book/journal then you require my permission first
--- it is usually given).

Enjoy...
	Pauli                                                            seeya

Paul Dale               | Internet/CSnet:grue@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au
Dept of Computer Science| Bitnet:grue%batserver.cs.uq.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
Uni of Qld              | JANET:grue%batserver.cs.uq.oz.au@uk.ac.ukc
Australia, 4072         | EAN:grue@batserver.cs.uq.oz
                        | UUCP:uunet!munnari!batserver.cs.uq.oz!grue
f4e6g4Qh4++             | JUNET:grue@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au

DISCLAIMER:
These routines are provided "as is" with no expressed or implied
warrantees. Any damage or losses caused by the use of these programs
is soley the resposibility of the user.

If you find these programs useful or have questions please drop me a
note. If you can think of any way to speed them up please do so.

Theodore W. Gregg
gregg@vms.macc.wisc.edu

jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen NE Bos) (06/11/91)

Why the heck don't you post this in ASCII?  Do you think everybody has a UNIX
account, and modem, and PC and a cable to his HP48?  (I do, but that's not the
point :-)

HCLIMER%UTCVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Harold Climer) (06/12/91)

On Tue, 11 Jun 1991 16:22 CST you said:
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.handhelds
>Subject: Re: A better Bode Plotter (Instructions)
>From: jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen NE Bos)
>Date: 11 Jun 91 10:05:04 GMT
>Sender: news@cwi.nl
>
>Why the heck don't you post this in ASCII?  Do you think everybody has a UNIX
>account, and modem, and PC and a cable to his HP48?  (I do, but that's not the
>point :-)

            I agree . My school is lucky to have BITNET.Not all the people out
here who are interested in the HP calculators have access to UNIX systems.
            I have gotten the impression that since many of the  people at the
" BIG INSTITUTIONS"   with    their fancy computers,think every one of us out
here also has one or has access to one. I am working off of a Commodore-128
right now from my home. I do use an IBM PC and mainframe for some of my
engineering classes when I am at school but not for all of my work.
            Please ,try to remember that many people on the net do not have the
 same type of system as you do ,when you post stuff.

                                           Harold Climer
                                           Physics Department
                                           U. Tennessee at Chattanooga
 Yes Virginia,
        you can download  48 files in ASCII and BINARY from and to a
C64 or C128 using KERMIT 2.2 for the 6502 and an RS-232 adapter. With a
cartridge called Swift-Link up to 38400 Baud.   (If the calculator would
support it)  Amazing ain't it. Thought  the 64 and 128 were dead huh ? ;)

mhelgren@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Matt Helgren) (06/12/91)

In article <B8229EAC00003096@gacvx2.gac.edu>, HCLIMER%UTCVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Harold Climer) writes...

>On Tue, 11 Jun 1991 16:22 CST you said:
>>Newsgroups: comp.sys.handhelds
>>Subject: Re: A better Bode Plotter (Instructions)
>>From: jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen NE Bos)
>>Date: 11 Jun 91 10:05:04 GMT
>>Sender: news@cwi.nl
>>
>>Why the heck don't you post this in ASCII?  Do you think everybody has a UNIX
>>account, and modem, and PC and a cable to his HP48?  (I do, but that's not the
>>point :-)
>
>            I agree . My school is lucky to have BITNET.Not all the people out
>here who are interested in the HP calculators have access to UNIX systems.
>            I have gotten the impression that since many of the  people at the
>" BIG INSTITUTIONS"   with    their fancy computers,think every one of us out
>here also has one or has access to one. I am working off of a Commodore-128
>right now from my home. I do use an IBM PC and mainframe for some of my
>engineering classes when I am at school but not for all of my work.
>            Please ,try to remember that many people on the net do not have the
> same type of system as you do ,when you post stuff.
>
>                                           Harold Climer
>                                           Physics Department
>                                           U. Tennessee at Chattanooga
> Yes Virginia,
>        you can download  48 files in ASCII and BINARY from and to a
>C64 or C128 using KERMIT 2.2 for the 6502 and an RS-232 adapter. With a
>cartridge called Swift-Link up to 38400 Baud.   (If the calculator would
>support it)  Amazing ain't it. Thought  the 64 and 128 were dead huh ? ;)

	Can you guys remember the first time you posted?  Was it that
simple?  I think your a bit out of line jumping on someone's case before
you know any details or offering any help.  And as far as "BIG
INSTITUTIONS" with thier fancy computers.  Whats that about?  A complex
maybe or possibly you find it hard to belive people with access to some
very nice computing equipment might not be experts at everything?  Get a
life.

						Matt Helgren
						Computer Science
						U of Wisc
P.S. Yes we do have fancy computers!

On Tue, 11 Jun 1991 23:53 CST you said:

>	Can you guys remember the first time you posted?  Was it that
>simple?  I think your a bit out of line jumping on someone's case before
>you know any details or offering any help.  And as far as "BIG
>INSTITUTIONS" with thier fancy computers.  Whats that about?  A complex
>maybe or possibly you find it hard to belive people with access to some
>very nice computing equipment might not be experts at everything?  Get a
>life.
>
>						Matt Helgren
>						Computer Science
>						U of Wisc
>P.S. Yes we do have fancy computers!

 I was not trying to put anyone down. I was just trying to remind people that
do have the "fancy computers" ie the Cadillacs and Mersedes's that the are
still a lot of us out here driving Chevys  and even Volkwagen Bugs.

                                          Harold Climer
                                          Physics Department
                                          U. Tennessee at Chattanooga