[comp.sys.handhelds] Portfolio & HP-95LX Cards

jimomura@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Omura) (06/12/91)

     The question has been asked whether the RAM/ROM cards for the
HP-95LX and the Portfolio are interchangeable.  The only thing I could
say about it was that the HP-95LX runs MS-DOS 3.2 and should support
nested directories which should not be supportable under MS-DOS 2.1
which is essentially what the Portfolio is running.  Aside from that
I don't know.  Has anybody tried this kind of swapping yet?
--
Jim Omura, 2A King George's Drive, Toronto, (416) 652-3880
lsuc!jimomura

"Michael Graff" <graff@mlpvm2.vnet.ibm.com> (06/12/91)

The cards are physically different, so you can't swap cards between
the two machines.

--Michael

bruceb@informix.com (Bruce Barr) (06/12/91)

Jim,

I'm missing something on your point about sub-directories.  MSDos 2 and
higher does allow sub-directories.  I think version 1 didn't.  The only
problem I could forsee is a problem I had once or twice with floppies
formatted under 2.11 not reading properly under 3.x, but that not be
applicable.

All of this is probably moot, since I believe the 95 uses the new
'standard' cards that the Poquet uses, among others.  I THINK this
is also what the Ultralite uses, but I could be wrong.  I am sure
that the Poquet and the 95 have common electrical characteristics, since
I have seen discussions along the lines of-'my xxxK card fromatted in the
Poquet won't read in the 95, but when I format it in the 95 the Poquet
reads it fine...'.  The Port was built before these electrical standards
were agreed to, and thusly, can't make use of the cards.

Hope this helps,

BB

jimomura@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Omura) (06/13/91)

In article <9106121534.AA06802@grape.ecs.clarkson.edu> graff@mlpvm2.vnet.ibm.com writes:
>The cards are physically different, so you can't swap cards between
>the two machines.
>
>--Michael
     Many thanks for the reply (and to others who have replied)!

     It won't affect me, but someone was thinking about buying one
or the other of them and was wondering if he got a few cards for
one of them and decided the other might be better, and wanted to
change . . . .