[comp.sys.handhelds] Sky on Compuserve

TDSTRONG%MTUS5.cts.mtu.edu@VM1.NoDak.EDU (Tim Strong) (06/11/91)

If this program is available on hp's ftp sites I can't find it.
Does anyone know where to find it???

Incidentally, I have written a piece of code to locate the positions
of the planets in equatorial coordinates to within a few minutes.  I have
questions about it:

1) Does anyone give a crap?

2) I used a method shown in a book called Practical Astronomy with Your
   Calculator by Peter-Duffet Smith.  He only gives methods not code so
   if I post it is it a violation of Copyright Law?????  I don't think it
   is but I'd like a confirming view or two.

   __
  I__)  _   _I  _   _   Tim Strong <TDSTRONG@MTUS5.cts.mtu.edu>
  I  \ (_I (_I (_I I    Michigan Tech.    Houghton, Michigan, U.S.A.

grs999910117@stat.appstate.edu (06/11/91)

In article <C678731BE0002A9F@gacvx2.gac.edu>, TDSTRONG%MTUS5.cts.mtu.edu@VM1.NoDak.EDU (Tim Strong) writes:
> If this program is available on hp's ftp sites I can't find it.
> Does anyone know where to find it???
>
> Incidentally, I have written a piece of code to locate the positions
> of the planets in equatorial coordinates to within a few minutes.  I have
> questions about it:
>
> 1) Does anyone give a crap?
>
> 2) I used a method shown in a book called Practical Astronomy with Your
>    Calculator by Peter-Duffet Smith.  He only gives methods not code so
>    if I post it is it a violation of Copyright Law?????  I don't think it
>    is but I'd like a confirming view or two.

>    __
>   I__)  _   _I  _   _   Tim Strong <TDSTRONG@MTUS5.cts.mtu.edu>
>   I  \ (_I (_I (_I I    Michigan Tech.    Houghton, Michigan, U.S.A.

SKY isn't available via ftp, but attached to a message in the user.programs
conference. And I would be very happy to see your code. I am going to try to
write a program this summer to determine orbital elements of a comet given some
positions, or vice versa (inspired by Orbits for Amateurs with Microcomputers -
mostly because my astromechanics professor said it would be pointless to write
such a program for a "calculator"- it would only be worthwhile for a PC or
such- right!)  I tend to agree with you - these are algorithms and not code and
therefore I don't believe it would be a violation of copyright law. If you
decide not to post, how about sending them email?

William
grs999910117@stat.appstate.edu

akcs.cheilman@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Chris Heilman) (06/16/91)

Tim,
    When I wrote Sky, I went to the library and checked out Duffett-Smith
to learn the geometric algorithms used.  I then wrote code to implement
those algorithms while optomizing them for speed and size (not accuracy)
to run in a reasonable amount.  I credited Mr. Duffett-Smith's work in
Sky's documentation and in the comments of the source code. I have bought
a copy of the book. The hp calculators probably account for more sales of
the book than anything else.

    This is the manner, I believe, that books are meant to be used: adapt
and credit the information, make sure that any derivative work is unique
and copyright the new work.  In this manner you have given the author his
due (you or sombody bought the book, and someone may buy it based on your
citation ) and also retained the value of your contribution.

    I would love to get my hands on your routines, but be forewarned, I
may wish to use them in a future version of Sky.  Come to think of it,
you may wish to use Sky's interface, wanna trade source for source?

:    __                ,    Chris Heilman  Phoenix College  Chemistry   :
:   /  /  _  o      /_/)       BITNET>      heilman@pc    (work)        :
:   \_/\_/(_/_))_ (/ / o       CompuServe>  [70566,1474]  (personnal)   :
:  Author of Pocket Forth      US Mail>     85066-8345    (personnal)   :