[comp.sys.handhelds] Sparcom Mech Ref Card for 48SX

gingell@aurs01.uucp (Mike Gingell) (06/18/91)

Steve (sclewarne@unix.icaen.uiowa.edu) writes:
> Has anyone purchased the EduCalc M.E. card?  If so, what does
> it have on it and was it worth the $89???
Steve asks for an email reply, I will send him one but I think
the general community might be interested in this report that
I found on Compuserve. It was posted by a Jim Weisbein from England.

I just got the Sparcom Mechanical Engineering Reference
Card for the HP48SX, and I thought I would share my first
impressions of it, even though I haven't had time to check
all of it yet.

First of all, a warning: this card uses the library number
776 for some of its storage, which is the same number used
by Jim Donnelly's Programmer's Toolkit for his TLLIB
library - probably the most useful part of the toolkit,
which I purchased at the same time as the Sparcom card.
This means that the TLLIB tools and the ME reference
library can't be used together, so, if you're using the
Toolkit in your programs, you will have a problem if you
also intend to get the Sparcom card.

The Sparcom card contains virtually the same ASCII chart
that comes with the toolkit, and its' data browser also
appears to have been "lifted" from the toolkit, so I'm
particularly surprised that a conflict like this should go
to market.

The data browser seems slower than the one which HP
supplied with its equation solver card, and I miss the
high-lighted scrolling display of the latter. Also, the
Sparcom card doesn't support switching between two unit
systems via flag 60, as does the Equation solver card, and
the units on/off does not toggle flag 61 as does the
equation solver, so you can't "preload" whether you want
units on or off. The units that are provided are a
sometimes peculiar mixture of SI and English systems, e.g:
the steam tables are in SI units (degrees K, KJ/KG, etc)
but densities are listed in slugs/M^3. Another difference
from the Equation Solver card is that the library of
physical constants cannot be accessed outside of the
Sparcom application, unlike the equation solver card's
which can.

The main menu presents you with 8 choices:
   ->Constants library
	Solids and liquids
	Gases and vapours
	Thermal properties
	Fuels and combustion
	Refrigerants
	Environmental control
	Reference formulas
You move the little arrow with the arrow keys, then press
enter, and will usually be presented with a sub-menu. Menu
keys for UP and MAIN are always available, and you can
change the font between the 5x7 and 5x9 sizes. To get to
the steam tables, I had to make the following choices in
order:
	Gases and vapours
	Saturated gas props
	Water, steam properties
	H2O from .01 to 102_C
     (choose temp in 2 degree increments...)
At this point I was presented with a list of properties
(pressure in Bar, density, enthalpy, etc). Scrolling to a
property and then hitting Enter will put a tagged value on
the stack, with units appended if the units mode has been
selected. There's also an option to print, which I haven't
tested, and a menu key for a "figure" (a picture of the
system I suppose) but I haven't found any pictures to have
actually been supplied - even the moments of inertia
formulas have no pictures, which is a real disappointment.
Also, there's no built in way to interpolate between
values, which would have been nice.

I found a few bugs right away. The worst is the Densities
section under Properties of liquids: all the units
(slugs/ft^3) are appended to the number value without the
unit underscore separator, so, when you put the value on
the stack, you get a string, and then have to edit it to
get a valid unit object. The Standard numbers and Moments
of inertia sections have algebraic formulas which, when
copied to the stack, become strings for some reason.

Its too early to say whether I will find myself really
using this card, but my overall impression is that it's
kind of sluggish to use and was somewhat hastily put
together. Nevertheless, there is nothing else like it on
the market, as far as I know. I paid $89.95, from Educalc,
who shipped it Federal express - it took 2 whole days from
California to London. Now that's service.

- Jim Weisbin [693]
  CIS ID 73457,3462@compuserve.com
Mike Gingell, Alcatel, Raleigh, NC USA  (919) 850-6444
UUCP:       ...!mcnc!aurgate!aurfs1!gingell
Internet:   gingell%aurfs1%aurgate@mcnc.org