[comp.sys.handhelds] Portfolio Versions

jimomura@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Omura) (06/18/91)

     I picked up my Portfolio yesterday and the version number is
DIP OS 2.11 v1.072, Copyright DIP 1989.  Hmm.  I'll just mention
in passing that the copyright notice might be considered defective,
though with the US being a new Berne signatory it has little practical
significance.  But the thing I'm interested in is whether there are
any other versions on the market?  Mine came with an erata sheet
listing some minor problems but 2 fairly major bugs (requiring re-boot
and I would expect losing data from the main RAM disk).  I'm just
wondering if they got around to correcting these problems in later
versions?

     Also, I looked it over fairly carefully and it doesn't look like
it can be disassembled for modifications or repairs.  Can it?  I
guess that means that you can't expand the main RAM or upgrade the
software?
--
Jim Omura, 2A King George's Drive, Toronto, (416) 652-3880
lsuc!jimomura

bdahlen@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Robert L. Dahlen - U. of Denver USA=) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.144618.16032@lsuc.on.ca> jimomura@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Omura) writes:

>     I picked up my Portfolio yesterday and the version number is
>DIP OS 2.11 v1.072, Copyright DIP 1989.  Hmm.  I'll just mention
>in passing that the copyright notice might be considered defective,
>though with the US being a new Berne signatory it has little practical
>significance.  But the thing I'm interested in is whether there are
>any other versions on the market?  Mine came with an erata sheet
>listing some minor problems but 2 fairly major bugs (requiring re-boot
>and I would expect losing data from the main RAM disk).  I'm just
>wondering if they got around to correcting these problems in later
>versions?
>
>     Also, I looked it over fairly carefully and it doesn't look like
>it can be disassembled for modifications or repairs.  Can it?  I
>guess that means that you can't expand the main RAM or upgrade the
>software?
>--
>Jim Omura, 2A King George's Drive, Toronto, (416) 652-3880
>lsuc!jimomura
>Byte Information eXchange: jimomura

The portfolio has two screws hidden under the rubber "foot" on its
bottom.  Pull the screws and the machine opens up.  I doubt though,
that it is expandable or upgradable this way.

I bought mine when it first came out and it was v1.072 also with the
same errata.  I too had wondered if in fact they had fixed that stuff.
A fix is available on compuserve and UMICH.

Robert L. Dahlen - Director, Information Systems & Technology
University of Denver - Denver, Colorado 80208 (303) 871-4385
INTERNET:bdahlen@du.edu                      BITNET:bdahlen@ducair