[comp.sys.handhelds] User Key question

mgaylord@nike.calpoly.edu (Malcolm G Gaylord HP48SX) (06/21/91)

Hello World,

I am trying to reassign the curser (up,down,left,right) keys via the user
keys.  What I want to accomplish is to be able to use the editor in the
alpha mode and still have access to the curser keys with out unlocking
the alpha mode.

It seems that the calculator is reluctant to run a program assigned to
a user key while in the editor/alpha mode.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Malcolm
mgaylord@eros.calpoly.edu

ags@seaman.cc.purdue.edu (Dave Seaman) (06/21/91)

In article <9106202049.AA603944@nike.calpoly.edu> mgaylord@nike.calpoly.edu (Malcolm G Gaylord HP48SX) writes:

>It seems that the calculator is reluctant to run a program assigned to
>a user key while in the editor/alpha mode.

Not at all.  It's just that you failed to make the needed user key assignment.
Each key has six user-definable functions associated with it:

	1.  Unshifted
	2.  Left-shifted
	3.  Right-shifted
	4.  Alpha-shifted
	5.  Alpha-left-shifted
	6.  Alpha-right-shifted

where the indicated digit is the tenths digit of the key number you use in
making the assignment.  Therefore, if you press a key in user mode when alpha
shift is on, you are asking for a different user key than if alpha shift is
off.  If none has actually been assigned, you get the default action for that
key.

--
Dave Seaman
ags@seaman.cc.purdue.edu

tim@nijinsky.ipac.caltech.edu (Tim Conrow) (06/22/91)

Alright, I'll express my ignorance. Just how were you planning to make the
cursor keys active in alpha-mode while editing?

-- Tim
tim@ipac.caltech.edu

akcs.joehorn@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Joseph K. Horn) (06/22/91)

Malcolm G Gaylord writes:

> I am trying to reassign the curser (up,down,left,right) keys via the
> user keys.  What I want to accomplish is to be able to use the editor
> in the alpha mode and still have access to the curser keys with out
> unlocking the alpha mode.

It can be done, but consider this.  If you reassign the cursor movement
keys to the alpha keyboard, you lose K, P, Q and R (or whatever four
keys you assign the cursor keys to).  Since it takes two keystrokes to
leave USER mode (to recover these letters), but it only takes one
keystroke to leave ALPHA mode (to recover the cursor keys), the default
arrangement is the more efficient one.

--  Joseph K. Horn  --  Peripheral Vision, Ltd.  --