[comp.sys.handhelds] Gameboy

CCC_BALL@rzmain.rz.uni-ulm.de (Joerg Ballschmiter) (06/17/91)

Is no one with a Gameboy out there? I think its a handheld, too.
So why arent any articles about it?
Does anybody like to make a new group *Gameboy,Lynx and so on*?
Ciao,
      Joerg.

! Bitnet: ccc_ball@dulruu51.bitnet   Internet: ccc_ball@rzmain.rz.uni-ulm.de !
!     Joerg Ballschmiter  Gartenhalde 68  D-7900 ULM-Maehringen  GERMANY     !
!                         Chaos Computer Club ULM                            !

slsw2@cc.usu.edu (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun17.185821.28209@rusmv1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de>, CCC_BALL@rzmain.rz.uni-ulm.de (Joerg Ballschmiter) writes:
> Is no one with a Gameboy out there? I think its a handheld, too.
> So why arent any articles about it?

I've got a Gameboy. Just don't see what to talk about unless someone wants to
tell me how to program the thing.

Roger Ivie
slsw2@cc.usu.edu

jimomura@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Omura) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun17.185821.28209@rusmv1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de> CCC_BALL@rzmain.rz.uni-ulm.de (Joerg Ballschmiter) writes:
>Is no one with a Gameboy out there? I think its a handheld, too.
>So why arent any articles about it?
>Does anybody like to make a new group *Gameboy,Lynx and so on*?
>Ciao,

     "Gameboy" is discussed in 'rec.games.video'.  Same with the
"Game Gear" and "Lynx".

--
Jim Omura, 2A King George's Drive, Toronto, (416) 652-3880
lsuc!jimomura

laird@think.com (Laird Popkin) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun17.185821.28209@rusmv1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de> CCC_BALL@rzmain.rz.uni-ulm.de (Joerg Ballschmiter) writes:
>Is no one with a Gameboy out there? I think its a handheld, too.
>So why arent any articles about it?
>Does anybody like to make a new group *Gameboy,Lynx and so on*?

There's quite a bit of discussion of the GameBoy, Lynx, and so on in
rec.games.video.

>Ciao,
>      Joerg.

- Laird Popkin, Thinking Machines

Connection Machine: Massively parallel supercomputer.  Also a cool black
cube with more blinking lights than you can shake a stick at.

herman@corpane.uucp (Harry Herman) (06/19/91)

In <1991Jun18.183652.23279@lsuc.on.ca> jimomura@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Omura) writes:

>     "Gameboy" is discussed in 'rec.games.video'.  Same with the
>"Game Gear" and "Lynx".

The Lynx hand held video game system is discussed in rec.games.video,
while the HP-95 Lynx palmtop computer is discussed here.  I imagine
that is going to confuse a LOT of casual observers of article headers
of this group that have Lynx in the header.

>--
>Jim Omura, 2A King George's Drive, Toronto, (416) 652-3880
>lsuc!jimomura
>Byte Information eXchange: jimomura

				Harry Herman
				herman@corpane

akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) (06/20/91)

Re: HP-95 Lynx palmtop computer (Harry Herman)

Wasn't the codename of the HP-95 Jaguar?  Not Lynx.  I've heard the 95
referred to as the Jaguar, but not as the Lynx.  Actually, I wonder why
people still call the 95 by its codename Jaguar, after all, nobody refers
to the 48SX as the Charlemagne or the 48S as Shorty.
    ---Falco

akcs.joehorn@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Joseph K. Horn) (06/20/91)

Andrey Dolgachev writes "Nobody refers to the 48SX as the Charlemagne or
the 48S as Shorty."

Correct, but there are precedents for calling the 95 "Jaguar".  The HP-71
was Titan to all who knew and loved it, and the HP-75 was a "Roo" to many
of us.  If the 48SX had had a different code name, it may have stuck as
well as Jaguar's.

-- Joseph K. Horn -- Peripheral Vision, Ltd. --

stevev@greylady.uoregon.edu (Steve VanDevender) (06/20/91)

Joseph K. Horn writes "Andrey Dolgachev writes 'Nobody refers to
the 48SX as the Charlemagne or >the 48S as Shorty.'"

My young cousin refers to his 48SX as "Charlemagne", but then
again his mother works at HP Corvallis so he probably heard of it
by code name long before it was in distribution.

--
Steve VanDevender 	stevev@greylady.uoregon.edu
"Bipedalism--an unrecognized disease affecting over 99% of the population.

anthony@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) (06/21/91)

In article <285fb9cc:3502.5comp.sys.handhelds;1@hpcvbbs.UUCP> akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) writes:
>referred to as the Jaguar, but not as the Lynx.  Actually, I wonder why
>people still call the 95 by its codename Jaguar, after all, nobody refers

Because Jaguar is a cool name :-).
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber	anthony@csd4.csd.uwm.edu   uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

herman@corpane.uucp (Harry Herman) (06/23/91)

In <285fb9cc:3502.5comp.sys.handhelds;1@hpcvbbs.UUCP> akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) writes:

>Re: HP-95 Lynx palmtop computer (Harry Herman)

>Wasn't the codename of the HP-95 Jaguar?  Not Lynx.  I've heard the 95
>referred to as the Jaguar, but not as the Lynx.  Actually, I wonder why
>people still call the 95 by its codename Jaguar, after all, nobody refers
>to the 48SX as the Charlemagne or the 48S as Shorty.
>    ---Falco

Ooops.  I am reading too many newsgroups, and having to read them at night
after work.  I appologise for any confusion the post may have caused.
I read rec.games.video so see lots of posts for the Lynx videogame system.
I then mistakenly thought that the "LX" in HP95LX was short for "Lynx".

As far as using code names instead of product numbers, I prefer products
with names instead of numbers.  Also, if I had only heard of the HP48SX
as Charlemagne instead of HP48SX, I probably would have a hard time
breaking myself of the habbit once the marketing gods (or whoever) decided
on the "real" product name.  Also, when talking verbally to somebody, it
is quicker to say Jaguar than to say "H P ninetyfive L X" or "H P
ninetyfive".  Of course, I am not sure whether I would use HP48 or
Charlemagne :-).

				Harry Herman
				herman@corpane