[comp.sys.handhelds] HP48sx and the Amiga

pm501s913@sycom.UUCP (Paul Mrozowski) (06/18/91)

  Has anyone had any luck using an Amiga to communicate w/their HP48? I
recently got a terminal program that supports Kermit but I've been unable to
establish communications. I've been successful w/the software that came with
the cable on an IBM, and have tried it on an Apple IIe (with mixed results).
I'd prefer to do all this on my Amiga. Anyone had any luck? Any suggestions
for software? Please let me know...

Paul Mrozowski
NetMail: pm501s913@sycom.UUCP

mueller@schaefer.math.wisc.edu (Carl Mueller) (06/18/91)

In article <pm501s913.9361@sycom.UUCP> pm501s913@sycom.UUCP (Paul Mrozowski) writes:

>  Has anyone had any luck using an Amiga to communicate w/their HP48? I

I use the vt100 terminal program that is on some Fred Fish disk somewhere.
I've had no trouble.

Carl Mueller (mueller@math.wisc.edu)

sterling@cbmvax.commodore.com (Rick Sterling) (06/19/91)

In article <pm501s913.9361@sycom.UUCP> pm501s913@sycom.UUCP (Paul Mrozowski) writes:

>   Has anyone had any luck using an Amiga to communicate w/their HP48? I
> recently got a terminal program that supports Kermit but I've been unable to
> establish communications. I've been successful w/the software that came with
> the cable on an IBM, and have tried it on an Apple IIe (with mixed results).
> I'd prefer to do all this on my Amiga. Anyone had any luck? Any suggestions
> for software? Please let me know...
>
> Paul Mrozowski
> NetMail: pm501s913@sycom.UUCP

I've experienced flawless operation with VLT written by W.G.J. (Willy)
Langeveld at Stanford Linear Accelerator Center. Willy can be reached
at the following for information....

	The main documentation file for VLT is a TeX source file. For a
printed copy, send a note by US mail to Willy Langeveld, SLAC bin 97, P.O.
Box 4349, Stanford 94309.

--
 __      __
|__)    (__`
|  \ick ,__)terling
Test Engineering
Commodore Technology Group  (215)-431-9275
UUCP ...{uunet,allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!sterling

pvallis@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Paul Vallis) (06/21/91)

Yes,  I use my hp48sx with my Amiga all the time.  I use the VLT terminal
emulator (available on Fred Fish disks).  I had problems at first, getting
the two machines to talk.  I was convinced that the problems were related
to the configuration of my calculator and VLT.  I tried any number of
combinations.

The ACTUAL problem turned out to be what is noted in the "CAUTION"
on page 632 of the hp48sx owners manual (Vol. II).  The caution reads:

CAUTION: When using the commands described below to transfer data to or
from the HP 48 at 9600 baud, make sure the ticking clock is not in the
display.  If the clock is in the display, it may interrupt a transfer or
corrupt the data being transferred.  The clock display is described on page
439 in chapter 24, "Time, Alarms, and Date Arithmetic."

Once I turned off the ticking clock, all went well (and has ever since).
I upload and download stuff between my hp48sx and my Amiga all the time.

Oh yeah, my hp48sx I/O settings are:

          IR/wire:       wire
          ASCII/binary:  ASCII  (note: this works for most ml programs too,
                                       the calculator switches to binary if
                                       it needs too)
          baud:          9600
          parity:        none 0
          checksum type: 3
          translate code:1

My VLT settings (from my memory - cause I'm at work on my HP9000/370, which
I also upload and download to all the time):

          Speed: 9600
          Parity 8N0   (8 bits, no parity, 0 stop bits)
          Packet Size  96 (I think -- what ever it defaults too)

I hope this info. helps you get it going.

IT CAN BE DONE!  Sometimes just knowing that helps.

- Paul Vallis

mikeb@amiganet.chi.il.us (Mike Biewenga) (06/25/91)

>  Has anyone had any luck using an Amiga to communicate w/their HP48? I
>recently got a terminal program that supports Kermit but I've been unable to
>establish communications. I've been successful w/the software that came with
>the cable on an IBM, and have tried it on an Apple IIe (with mixed results).
>I'd prefer to do all this on my Amiga. Anyone had any luck? Any suggestions
>for software? Please let me know...
>
>Paul Mrozowski
>NetMail: pm501s913@sycom.UUCP
 Yes... I have! I'm using vt100 term with kermit at 9600 baud. (I get lots of
errors though) All the transfers I've tried have worked (archive and
Up/Downloads). What is it that it doesn't do? The term program I am using is
very simple and doesn't check for things like DSR or CD. Maybe that is the
problem.

   My point is: I have an Amiga and an HP48 and I can get them to communicate
just fine. I made a very simple terminal type program for my HP to check my
connections. It just sends and recieves out of the HP port. It might at least
let you make sure everything is connected correctly. If you want it let me
know and I'll put it up. Give me more details and I'll try to help.

                                  Mike

mikeb@amiganet.chi.il.us

MY only problem is that I cant get a copy of <->ASC so I cant use most of the
programs I find here...where do I get this?
(I made my own cable)